Fitness for Glastonbury 2023

gigpusher

41 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I’ve just got electricity put in the garage. I’ve got loads of fitness equipment (dumbbells, kettlebells, pull up bar etc) so once I’ve had a clear out of shite & got some decent flooring down in there I’ll be hitting that most evenings as well.

Glastonbury 19 I weighed 75kg. I now weigh 88kg.

Determined to get to 80kg by June.

Plenty of time, good luck.

5 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Good week for me so far. Nearly at 70000 steps already. Does make it easier when it's as glorious as this week has been. 

Makes it a lot easier when you have that terrain ton walk through, rather than the same urban riverside walk every time.

9 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Makes it a lot easier when you have that terrain ton walk through, rather than the same urban riverside walk every time.

This.

Just went for a round, a lovely variation called 'slightly dodgy neighbourhood" . Instead of the "houses I can't afford" round".

20 hours ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

I'm still keeping up, and done my 10k for the day today...

But also ruled out a pair of trainers which I've had for years and 'thought' were really comfortable. They're definitely not coming after this!!! Helluva blister

Ouch. GOod shoes do go to shoe heaven at some point! My superstars tend to die at the back and render them unwearable.

Horrendous weather here today, snow then pissing rain. But we just got a container delivered which means at soon as this stops, it's moving a massive pile of concrete from the backyard to the front. Upper body workout, here I come!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Good week for me so far. Nearly at 70000 steps already. Does make it easier when it's as glorious as this week has been. 

Screenshot_2023-01-19-16-20-12-946_com.google.android_apps.fitness.thumb.jpg.472db4ceba546d91b98e496bbf42b50b.jpgPANO_20230119_135421.thumb.jpg.14733a448b55318908a0c1197f819fca.jpgIMG_20230119_121258.thumb.jpg.c3ded49687070fb0a94bf4ccca070d6f.jpgIMG_20230119_112129.thumb.jpg.e73698329ed5800f2feb29a07710da49.jpgIMG_20230119_105409.thumb.jpg.bf7cc05d8b6d9fd8bb4d1204bcb89c34.jpg

Wow beautiful. I'm mostly in the walking around a housing estate category or to my local park during the week. Yesterday snow and ice meant I only just about got my 10k steps in. 

16 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Wow beautiful. I'm mostly in the walking around a housing estate category or to my local park during the week. Yesterday snow and ice meant I only just about got my 10k steps in. 

Yep, having that to play in definitely helps. 

I may be mixing my measurements to suit, but another milestone reached. 

2 stones down from when I started, 7 weeks ago. 13.3 kg if that's how you work. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

So I guess I'm near the end of my fitness 'journey' (I hate that word) and will soon transition from cutting to maintaining. I hope this is helpful if you're just starting out - some of my recent achievements will go at the end because I really don't think they are the key thing:

• Start small, start manageable, start easy. Depending on your level of fitness even just getting up to get a cup of tea counts as exercise let alone marathons and long rides - the main thing is that you're doing more than you did previously. For me it was a few walks around the neighbourhood to begin; today it's much more.
  • Really look at your diet and ease back. For me this was the hardest thing in those first few weeks - I did have a penchant for KFC and McDonald's - not to mention the sugary drinks and biscuits. Maybe it's having 1-2 of those things every second day and not every day?
  • Don't weigh yourself EVERY SINGLE DAY. Imagine if a government tried to run the economy if unemployment figures came out every day and not just once-a-month: they would blow up the economy in a couple of months. Same principle. Weigh yourself to begin with, maybe check again at the end of that first week, do it at the end of the first month, and then occasionally thereafter. Your head will explode if you do it very regularly because it will fluctuate so much. (I forgot to weigh myself for 3 months, went back, turns out I had lost another 6.5kgs, had to run back to my gym bag to get my phone and take a photo hahaha)
  • To that end build on what you've been doing. Maybe you can walk 2km easily now - could you do 4km, or jog 1.5km? Little steps over a consistent basis leads to big results.
  • Recovery, recovery, recovery. Hugely important, do it, take a day off at least once-a-week - or even more if that keeps you motivated and going. A little thing I do is on my return after a day's recovery is I reverse my order to give myself an 'extra' day. So if I'm alternating upper body, lower body, upper body, etc and my last session is upper body before a day off, I start back on my lower body even though if I had continued to follow the pattern it should technically be upper. It's just a bit more rest.
  • Mix it up - and do what you want. Want to run, run, want to walk, walk, want to chase little white balls across great big green fields to get it into a tiny hole at the end, go for it. Your friends might tell you what to do but it's such a personal and mental thing, it's very much a case of you do you. (my friends are firmly into weights over cardio, and not much else, which really isn't 'me' - I hate counting. I mix weights in with cardio, play golf, and thinking of taking up Brazilian Jiu Jitsu just to mix it up. I also like to mic drop when I tell them what I did for cardio hahaha)
  • As you progress suggest adding some weights. Nothing crazy if you don't want - a set of kettlebells are brilliant - it just builds a bit more strength and muscle mass so you can avoid injury and reach higher levels/bust through a plateau.
  • Find time to do it, even if you only have 30 minutes across the whole day, and just be consistent. Even a short time consistently will be rewarding in time 🙂
  • Save money for clothes. Seriously. SAVE MONEY FOR CLOTHES. I'm on my third iteration - at one point I was walking around in work trousers with my hands in my pockets to hold them up because I legit thought I was  going to get arrested for indecent exposure, and I had drilled so many holes in my belt that it ended up sticking out and looking like a ridiculous sash hahaha.
  • If someone has lost X amount of weight in Y amount of time, it doesn't mean you can or will do the same. You might lose less than them, you might lose more than them, no one is the same. The main thing to me is steady progress in terms of what you can do physically. 12 months ago I could barely run 250m whereas now...

Just remember you're going to be in a much better place for Glasto than what you are now - as long as you keep it fun, light, and regular 🙂

Now for the less helpful bit - me:

Starting weight in Feb 2021: 112.8kgs

Current weight: 89.4kgs

Average resting heart rate in Feb 2021: 84bpm

Current average resting heart rate: 43bpm

Recent achievement: 65km hill ride at 41.6km/h average speed (95 minutes)

Tonight: 57km hill ride at 40.8km/h average speed then 5km run in 26 minutes.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Redacted said:

So I guess I'm near the end of my fitness 'journey' (I hate that word) and will soon transition from cutting to maintaining. I hope this is helpful if you're just starting out - some of my recent achievements will go at the end because I really don't think they are the key thing:

• Start small, start manageable, start easy. Depending on your level of fitness even just getting up to get a cup of tea counts as exercise let alone marathons and long rides - the main thing is that you're doing more than you did previously. For me it was a few walks around the neighbourhood to begin; today it's much more.
  • Really look at your diet and ease back. For me this was the hardest thing in those first few weeks - I did have a penchant for KFC and McDonald's - not to mention the sugary drinks and biscuits. Maybe it's having 1-2 of those things every second day and not every day?
  • Don't weigh yourself EVERY SINGLE DAY. Imagine if a government tried to run the economy if unemployment figures came out every day and not just once-a-month: they would blow up the economy in a couple of months. Same principle. Weigh yourself to begin with, maybe check again at the end of that first week, do it at the end of the first month, and then occasionally thereafter. Your head will explode if you do it very regularly because it will fluctuate so much. (I forgot to weigh myself for 3 months, went back, turns out I had lost another 6.5kgs, had to run back to my gym bag to get my phone and take a photo hahaha)
  • To that end build on what you've been doing. Maybe you can walk 2km easily now - could you do 4km, or jog 1.5km? Little steps over a consistent basis leads to big results.
  • Recovery, recovery, recovery. Hugely important, do it, take a day off at least once-a-week - or even more if that keeps you motivated and going. A little thing I do is on my return after a day's recovery is I reverse my order to give myself an 'extra' day. So if I'm alternating upper body, lower body, upper body, etc and my last session is upper body before a day off, I start back on my lower body even though if I had continued to follow the pattern it should technically be upper. It's just a bit more rest.
  • Mix it up - and do what you want. Want to run, run, want to walk, walk, want to chase little white balls across great big green fields to get it into a tiny hole at the end, go for it. Your friends might tell you what to do but it's such a personal and mental thing, it's very much a case of you do you. (my friends are firmly into weights over cardio, and not much else, which really isn't 'me' - I hate counting. I mix weights in with cardio, play golf, and thinking of taking up Brazilian Jiu Jitsu just to mix it up. I also like to mic drop when I tell them what I did for cardio hahaha)
  • As you progress suggest adding some weights. Nothing crazy if you don't want - a set of kettlebells are brilliant - it just builds a bit more strength and muscle mass so you can avoid injury and reach higher levels/bust through a plateau.
  • Find time to do it, even if you only have 30 minutes across the whole day, and just be consistent. Even a short time consistently will be rewarding in time 🙂
  • Save money for clothes. Seriously. SAVE MONEY FOR CLOTHES. I'm on my third iteration - at one point I was walking around in work trousers with my hands in my pockets to hold them up because I legit thought I was  going to get arrested for indecent exposure, and I had drilled so many holes in my belt that it ended up sticking out and looking like a ridiculous sash hahaha.
  • If someone has lost X amount of weight in Y amount of time, it doesn't mean you can or will do the same. You might lose less than them, you might lose more than them, no one is the same. The main thing to me is steady progress in terms of what you can do physically. 12 months ago I could barely run 250m whereas now...

Just remember you're going to be in a much better place for Glasto than what you are now - as long as you keep it fun, light, and regular 🙂

cracking early post ... welcome to the forum 🙂 

7 hours ago, Redacted said:

Great post. Helpful and motivational. 

Funny you mention clothes. Starting to become a problem for me. Not quite at the "arrested for indecent exposure" stage yet. But getting there. Annoyingly I got rid of a load of stuff a few months ago because they were too small! 

Don't want to spend much yet as I still have a ways to go and I'm very cheap. Might have to though. 

Weirdly, we are exactly the same weight!

• Like 1

Monday 12,232

Tuesday 11,362

Wednesday 14,349

Thursday 10,226

Friday 11,229

Saturday 9,131

Sunday 17,375

Total – 85,904

My step count for last week Thursday, Friday and especially Saturday were hampered by snow that turned to ice and by Saturday the streets around me were absolutely ice rink like. 

@Alvoram@moogster and anyone else how have you all been doing. 

@RedactedWell done on your journey and good luck with the hardest part the maintaining part. I agree with the things you said. I never weigh more than monthly and I try my best to focus less on the scales and more on knowing that I am doing the right things for my health. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

My step count for last week Thursday, Friday and especially Saturday were hampered by snow that turned to ice and by Saturday the streets around me were absolutely ice rink like. 

Yes same here. Couple of terrible wet snow days though.

88547 steps for me. I did push myself on those dismal days, otherwise would barely make the 70 Ks I think.

I've been a bit lazy with the upper body work outs. I was supposed to help move the rubble at the back of my house but my lower back/hips started to hurt quite fast so didn't do so much. I've now put the dumbbells next to the couch as a quick reminder that I can watch TV while doing a  couple of shoulders and arms exercises..

Looking at my active zone minutes, last year's monthly bet was 2300 mins. I am now at 1700 for January so although I doubt I can make it that high, I am hoping to get to 2000 and more.

21 minutes ago, moogster said:

Yes same here. Couple of terrible wet snow days though.

88547 steps for me. I did push myself on those dismal days, otherwise would barely make the 70 Ks I think.

I've been a bit lazy with the upper body work outs. I was supposed to help move the rubble at the back of my house but my lower back/hips started to hurt quite fast so didn't do so much. I've now put the dumbbells next to the couch as a quick reminder that I can watch TV while doing a  couple of shoulders and arms exercises..

Looking at my active zone minutes, last year's monthly bet was 2300 mins. I am now at 1700 for January so although I doubt I can make it that high, I am hoping to get to 2000 and more.

6 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Very much aided by the fantastic weather here last week. 

Looking at the forecast it'll be harder to get those numbers this week. 

IMG_20230123_104148.jpg

Hoping the weather starts to become less of a factor and that the brighter evening make it easier to get out as well. On days where I end up working late at the moment I can end up being a bit screwed especially when it's really icy. 

OK So didn't do very well (at least officially I didn't anyway.)

Monday 4715 (No watch, phone only, would have been way higher as I was running around like crazy for a funeral which turned out to be a much bigger affair than we'd been told to expect) 

Tuesday 7372 (Lazy day, knackered after Monday!) 

Wednesday 8102

Thursday 9357

Friday 14532

Saturday 8799

Sunday 10109 (No bloody watch, phone tracked steps, would have been way way higher on a Sunday if I'd had my watch on grrr)

Total: 62,986

But I'm not worried, happy to admit defeat, but also happy to move it up a tier, if everyone else is? Because had I remembered to charge and wear my watch each day it would have been a lot better, maybe even past the 70k with Sunday's mnissed steps alone. 

Well done everybody that made the 70k... Some of you absoloutely smashed it, so I definitely think a new target is in order... 

Target for this week 75K

Edited to add: P.s my watch is still flat, better put it on charge, already missing steps 😞 

Edited by Alvoram

3 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

OK So didn't do very well (at least officially I didn't anyway.)

Monday 4715 (No watch, phone only, would have been way higher as I was running around like crazy for a funeral whichn nturned out to be a much bigger affair than we'd been told to expect) 

Tuesday 7372 (Lazy day, knackered after Monday!) 

Wednesday 8102

Thursday 9357

Friday 14532

Saturday 8799

Sunday 10109 (No bloody watch, phone tracked steps, would have been way way higher on a Sunday if I'd had my watch on grrr)

Total: 62,986

But I'm not worried, happy to admit defeat, but also happy to move it up a tier, if everyone else is? Because had I remembered to charge and wear my watch each day it would have been a lot better, maybe even past the 70k with Sunday's mnissed steps alone. 

Well done everybody that made the 70k... Some of you absoloutely smashed it, so I definitely think a new target is in order... 

Target for this week 75K

Edited to add: P.s my watch is still flat, better put it on charge, already missing steps 😞 

Apple watch ...? try and get into the habit of charging overnight like your phone ? im currently waiting a GP appointment as I probably only did a few hundred steps since fri with back issue although it seems to be easing 

Just now, Crazyfool01 said:

Apple watch ...? try and get into the habit of charging overnight like your phone ? im currently waiting a GP appointment as I probably only did a few hundred steps since fri with back issue although it seems to be easing 

I was in that habbit, and then they added the sleep monitoring thing. So I started trying to charge it quickly in the morning (it doesn't take long) but I always forget!

Definitely need to take your advice and get back in the habbit of charging over night. 

It's on charge now, the dogs are being impatient for their walk, but they can wait, I mean, is it even a step if your smart device doesn't count it? 🙈😂