Fitness for Glastonbury 2023

gigpusher

Managed over 13k steps yesterday but today might be a bit more of a challenge. Tried to walk this morning but our noise sensitive dog Nuala was having none of it with the wind howling. She wouldn't go back in the house though unless one of us went with her so I went back in. Will try and bring Ferris for his evening walk to make up for it but will make it hard to get even my 10k steps today. Roll on longer, brighter days and better weather. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

That's incredible... 22.5lb over a stone and a half!!!! Well done!!!!

Thanks mate. 

Feeling pretty good about it. Clothes hanging a lot looser, people are noticing. Reckon I've another 12 or 13 kg before I'm officially "healthy" In BMI terms but would probably be looking for another 5kg or so on top of that. 

Currently sat in my gp waiting room waiting for my diabetes review. Ironically I think I've done too well to be considered for the 800 kcal trial I mentioned before. Obviously don't know what my blood glucose numbers are but I think I've lost too much weight to be eligible. 

On 1/10/2023 at 5:42 PM, Crazyfool01 said:

Tempted by this 

622F6275-64C2-409C-A351-83B364B407FF.png

You should go for it. I don't know what your swimming is like, but that's only 117 lengths a week of a 25 metre pool.

I picked swimming up again during lockdown, primarily open water, and I found it really helped with the rigours of the festival - particularly on my back.

1 hour ago, moogster said:

Ummm isn't that a bit too low proportionally to the amount of exercise you had?

Yes, yes it is, but it's only for a few days, I'll have more today, and a bit more tomorrow... Aiming to settle around 1800-2000, any more and I just won't lose weigh, no matter how much I move.

Apple watch thinks I need 4k-5k per day, based on height, weight, age to calculate the minimum plus what I burn extra with activity!!! It's way out, I wish I could eat that much and maintain weight!!! 🙈😂 I also once tried weight watchers, and that was allowing me something like 49 daily points... Never mind the weekly points. If I'd eaten all my daily points I'd have been eating more than I was before dieting... 🙄

Matabolism I guess, the good news is that last time I lost a lot of weight, that seemed to improve no end, and it actually got easier to burn through to a defecit the fitter I got... Weirdly. 🤷‍♂️

49 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Thanks mate. 

Feeling pretty good about it. Clothes hanging a lot looser, people are noticing. Reckon I've another 12 or 13 kg before I'm officially "healthy" In BMI terms but would probably be looking for another 5kg or so on top of that. 

Currently sat in my gp waiting room waiting for my diabetes review. Ironically I think I've done too well to be considered for the 800 kcal trial I mentioned before. Obviously don't know what my blood glucose numbers are but I think I've lost too much weight to be eligible. 

You won't need it, you're gonna smash that 17kg, and then be fit is a fiddle. 🙂 Probably give you a new lease of life, and energy for days. Leading to a naturally more active lifestyle in general, because you'll have the energy and motivation to do things you wouldn't neccesarily have done before. You've got this in the bag. 🙂 

1 hour ago, Johnnyseven said:

You should go for it. I don't know what your swimming is like, but that's only 117 lengths a week of a 25 metre pool.

I picked swimming up again during lockdown, primarily open water, and I found it really helped with the rigours of the festival - particularly on my back.

I did this " swim the channel" in 2019 I think. Its very doable.  I went 3 times a week and finished with days to spare. 

Having done this...I'll stick to running thanks.

1 hour ago, Johnnyseven said:

well i have been swimming 100 lengths once per week so shouldn't be too much of a challenge .... but some motivation there . never seemed to really help my back though must be my lack of style 🙂 

1 hour ago, deebeedoobee said:

Precisely 

Problem is, this old codger can't do clothing and with I only one working arm, I need someone to help dress me. Into coats. I often collar a random walking up the road to help me. It's that or be cold. 

52 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

well i have been swimming 100 lengths once per week so shouldn't be too much of a challenge .... but some motivation there . never seemed to really help my back though must be my lack of style 🙂 

Yeah, a good swimming style does really help on that front but I also find dynamic stretches before swimming and back stretches after help too. I had a minor ache in my back running down both sides of my spine for a while last year which I put down to swimming, I was doing a lot of swimming last summer though - something like 10-15km a week. A rest from swimming over Christmas and stretches before and after swimming seem to have solved it.

Edited by Johnnyseven

23 minutes ago, Neil said:

i'd like to do some swimming as part of my exercise, but with just one working arm, i reckon i'd swim like a brick.

Maybe some kind of water aerobics?

3 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Clothes hanging a lot looser, people are noticing.

For me the people noticing has always been bitter sweet. I remember losing about 15% of my weight a while ago and when being randomly congratulated about it, I just kept thinking "so do you think I am not right with 15% more"? If those people saw me a few years later will they say " wow you put on weight"?   I know it's well meant but I mostly care about being healthy and feeling right. And yes it includes a couple of vain points. Maybe being a woman it's slightly different, although men are dangerously getting the same " looks" pressure these days...

47 minutes ago, moogster said:

For me the people noticing has always been bitter sweet. I remember losing about 15% of my weight a while ago and when being randomly congratulated about it, I just kept thinking "so do you think I am not right with 15% more"? If those people saw me a few years later will they say " wow you put on weight"?   I know it's well meant but I mostly care about being healthy and feeling right. And yes it includes a couple of vain points. Maybe being a woman it's slightly different, although men are dangerously getting the same " looks" pressure these days...

I know what you mean. Do I have less value if I'm fat? But then, certainly in my case, my weight was/is causing serious health issues. I'm not particularly talking about my diabetes, but equally I'm not not talking about it. If anyone mentions my weight loss or offers me something I can't eat then I say why. And the response has generally been the same as on here. Good on you, it's great you're taking control of your health. Keep at it.

And how I look is an easy way to gauge all this. It's not like they can know my visceral fat or glucose levels. 

But like you say, bitter sweet. 

41 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

great shout that @Neil id imagine being in water will help support too ... apparently excercise in water is very good 

i had a go in a hydrotherapy pool when at the rehab unit a long while ago, wasn't too scarey as i was put in the water on a hoist. was strange to be able to walk normally.

Edited by Neil

47 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Do I have less value if I'm fat?

to a butcher like sweeny todd you probably do have less value if you weigh less.

Edited by Neil

1 hour ago, moogster said:

Maybe some kind of water aerobics?

Yep I purposely called it fitness rather than weight loss. I try not to obsess about the scales and just concentrate on eating healthier and making sure I do exercise each day. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, deebeedoobee said:

Precisely 

Yes, though with this miserable wet and windy weather I’m still trying to get into the hills but having to dress like the Michelin man, heavy duty waterproofs over double layers of everything, heavy duty boots, gloves etc.  so yes there is clothing for most conditions but it can be pretty uncomfortable! Climbed over a style a few days ago and nearly landed on a sheep sheltering from the rain.