Rock Werchter 2023

BenG92

11 minutes ago, Sparticus said:

Are the later albums worth a listen? I've only heard the first two. 

Imo their music is declining for over a decade now with their last album being probably their worst. Some nice songs here and there for sure, but not as good as their earlier work. If you liked the first two albums though, give at least the third one (Our love to admire) a listen 😉.

Still...happy to see them live next summer!

2 hours ago, Sparticus said:

I saw them in the barn years ago... I can't see their show translating well to daylight. Are the later albums worth a listen? I've only heard the first two. 

Saw them at Reading 2011 and it was fine but the crowd really didn't get into it. APE 2019 was a better crowd, possibly with it having a Meet Me In The Bathroom day with the appearance of The Strokes as headliners, but a worse sound.

I'd say most of their setlist is still Bright Lights and Antics oriented tbf.

2 hours ago, Floyd_Ams said:

Imo their music is declining for over a decade now with their last album being probably their worst. Some nice songs here and there for sure, but not as good as their earlier work. If you liked the first two albums though, give at least the third one (Our love to admire) a listen 😉.

Still...happy to see them live next summer!

Appreciated, I'll listen to the third album! 

The National must be in as likely now, announced a huge tour with a gap over the summer... 

10 minutes ago, graceunderpressure said:

Guns n Roses self confirmed (let slip !) about headlining Glasto . Hopefully we get them as the last headliner 

>> https://www.nme.com/news/music/guns-n-roses-duff-mckagan-appears-to-confirm-band-for-glastonbury-2023-3384298

Probably unlikely unfortunately. They play Hyde Park on Friday 30th and are unlikely to to the Thursday as they don’t usually do two nights back to back these days. More likely for one of the missing Graspop headliners

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 49Lawson said:

Probably unlikely unfortunately. They play Hyde Park on Friday 30th and are unlikely to to the Thursday as they don’t usually do two nights back to back these days. More likely for one of the missing Graspop headliners

How about Madcool? That seems likely?

4 minutes ago, Akujin said:

How about Madcool? That seems likely?

Certainly could be a good shout for their missing headliner on the 7th July. One of their clues heavily alluded to them, and there’s some rumblings that they’ll be announcing a tour soon so that could indeed be their Spanish date 

• Upvote 1

Since LN is behind both festivals, I think it's a pity that RW and Graspop don't shuffle their headliners a little bit more, as they could both benefit from it and reduce repetition. This year for example, swapping RHCP with GnR (assuming they are actually at Graspop) would have worked better I believe.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Archi said:

During their last tour, I don't remember Guns N Roses playing 2 days in a row anyway. Added to the fact a co-headline Stromae/Guns N Roses would be weird and not the best choice anyway. Should be Graspop as they still miss 2 headliners.

About as weird as "Iron Maiden --> The Black Eyed Peas in" 2011 😉

The Iron Maiden -> Black Eyed Peas combo was due to some unexpected changes. Originally Foo Fighters had to headline the Thursday, with Iron Maiden + Linkin Park closing the festival. Except Foo Fighters pulled out (due to the Wembley show that same weekend) and Linkin Park got moved to a different day before their announcement. BEP were then probably booked as an easy last minute option.

8 hours ago, Bob123456 said:

Looking at going this year. Was wondering how much people normal spend on travel and  what form is best?

Also how good is this festival?

Logistics wise, it's one of the best festivals I've been to. It's really well organised.

However, vibe-wise I don't like the main stage area at all, whereas the tents are excellent, audience-wise. So be sure to focus on those. I do think it is a bit too overcrowded. Way too many people for the relatively small festival grounds. 

12 hours ago, Bob123456 said:

Looking at going this year. Was wondering how much people normal spend on travel and  what form is best?

Also how good is this festival?

Plane to Brussels is dirt cheap. From there it's a train to Leuven and a bus to the grounds. It's an absolute doddle and pretty cheap altogether. Only went last year and it's the most well-organised we've ever been to. Only downside is the main stage crowd can be very very subdued. 

5 minutes ago, Archi said:

The info I got from someone working at Werchter told me the last big name would be announced in January. As we should have the last big names before Pukkelpop started to announce - which could arrive soon -, can we expect an announcement this week you think?

How about asking your friend again? 🙂

On a serious note: Wednesday: big name; Friday: a package of names?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Archi said:

The info I got from someone working at Werchter told me the last big name would be announced in January. As we should have the last big names before Pukkelpop started to announce - which could arrive soon -, can we expect an announcement this week you think?

Don't we need 2 "last big names"? One for Friday, one for Thursday.