Primavera Sound Barcelona 2023 + Primavera Sound Madrid 2023

Fnmentaluk

11 minutes ago, Whos3000_ said:

I assume that Tonight in Madrid would have been the day with the less tickets sold (as in Barcelona but possibly even less): can the cancellation be a move to amortise the loss of money for them? Do they still need to pay the artists? 

I would imagine it would depend on individual contracts agreed with artists. Could be partial pay up front, and the remainder after they play. 

But my experience of this would be that the act and/or the festival would have insurance to cover these sorts of eventualities and while it might take a little longer for them to be paid, ultimately no one would be losing out. 

Except the punter of course. But who thinks about them in these situations. 😢

45 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I do feel for the organisers. They’ve put a year of their lives into this and it must be an extremely difficult call when the weather ultimately is unpredictable.

I'm sure it's been very difficult for them to make the call but putting a year of their lives into this and not expecting something as simple as raining in spring is a huge lack of diligence. 

43 minutes ago, Whos3000_ said:

Having 2 editions ultimately is better for us. Bigger artists can be booked. So we have to hope it continues this way, with the second weekend being either Barcelona or madrid 

That would be three editions, with Porto. So the impact of having a 3rd one on top of Porto and Barcelona is a bit less.

There is no need to speculate on ticket sales - we might never know if the Madrid edition does not happen. And then even if one has a measure of how large is a crowd, this doesn't say much about profit/deficit, as it depends on many other variables. I mean I have been to poorly attendend events so sometimes it is fairly obvious, but it also seems to be the rule rather than the exception around the world, so I don't think one has to be too dramatic about it.

Edited by emmanuel

3 minutes ago, Naran Jitu said:

I'm sure it's been very difficult for them to make the call but putting a year of their lives into this and not expecting something as simple as raining in spring is a huge lack of diligence. 

I’m sure they were open to the possibility of rain, rather the failure was not realising how seriously this would affect the usability of the site.

Unless it was usable yesterday and they cancelled for financial reasons and used the rain as an excuse…

26 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I’m sure they were open to the possibility of rain, rather the failure was not realising how seriously this would affect the usability of the site.

Unless it was usable yesterday and they cancelled for financial reasons and used the rain as an excuse…

It wasn't usable yesterday, some parts of the venue were flooded, including the main stages, the entrance, storage area and artist zones, and they spent the evening trying to remove the water with pumps and excavators (without much luck I assume). The venue is poorly designed for drainage I guess. Let's hope they can fix for tomorrow and that it doesn't rain much more...

1 hour ago, Whos3000_ said:

I assume that Tonight in Madrid would have been the day with the less tickets sold (as in Barcelona but possibly even less): can the cancellation be a move to amortise the loss of money for them? Do they still need to pay the artists? 

8000 tickets sold for today if rumours are true.

BTW, it stopped raining in Madrid a couple hours ago and the floor is already bone dry at least in my area.

Edited by yosoyyoberdi

4 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

So it’s Blur, and who else at Boiler Room? Some random DJs? And I guess all the other concerts like Halsey, Drain Gang and so on are canceled? 

On Twitter they said:

"The availability of the bands and the venues is very limited with so little time considering the circumstances. Our team has worked all night without rest to be able to offer alternatives. We're sorry to not be able to reschedule Halsey."

2 hours ago, Naran Jitu said:

This is where i come down on it. Contingency of “oh it doesnt rain much in spain in may and june” doesnt really cut it for me.

i suspect they knew it wouldnt take a lot of rain and went ahead anyway. Gambled and lost.

they could/should be insured but what they knew or didnt know about the site’s inability to take a bit of rain may be key in what they get paid out on. Clearly we will never know!

• Upvote 2