Primavera Sound Barcelona 2023 + Primavera Sound Madrid 2023

Fnmentaluk

4 minutes ago, xxialac said:

The facts are that The Smile last played 1 year ago and Radiohead played 7 years ago.

I absolutely don’t see the former coming back so soon but could be wrong.

I'd love to be wrong but it feels too early for Radiohead like I said.

I think it's good for me to not get overly optimistic like these threads do in the past with the likes of Portishead and MBV. The former I genuinely believe won't ever tour properly ever again really.

I expect Radiohead further down the road

Edited by scatteredscreens

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

The facts are that The Smile last played 1 year ago and Radiohead played 7 years ago.

I absolutely don’t see the former coming back so soon but could be wrong.

I was thinking about this before writing my comment and some recent examples where an act returned (or were booked to return) within a couple of editions are Tame Impala, Mac DeMarco, Tyler, Solange, Cigarettes after Sex and The National off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more.

I'd put The Smile in a similar category where I reckon if they're available and have new music the festival will book them. The same I'm sure for Thom Yorke solo or Radiohead. Just a matter of availability.

2 hours ago, scatteredscreens said:

I'd love to be wrong but it feels too early for Radiohead like I said.

I think it's good for me to not get overly optimistic like these threads do in the past with the likes of Portishead and MBV. The former I genuinely believe won't ever tour properly ever again really.

I expect Radiohead further down the road

I seen portishead about ten years ago in Ireland. 

Whats the story with them ? Their heart isn’t in it anymore?

They have the primavera vibe written all over them.

Question for you folks on a related topic......

I see some people mentioning bands they went to see who were on quite early in the evening (say 8pm) and im just wondering how you physically do/did it?

I could do it for the first day but then would stay out until at least 5am (drinking continuously).

Then It took ages to get to Passeig De Gracia where my hotel was. 

I was getting into bed at 6/7 am.

By day 2 and day 3 I would be in pieces each day and barely able to stomach food until about 4pm.

I don't take any substances but would drink beer all night.

Do you guys just take it easy and focus on the music?, stay close to the venue? or am I just getting old?

Edited by Drums Please Fab

5 hours ago, Drums Please Fab said:

I see some people mentioning bands they went to see who were on quite early in the evening (say 8pm) and im just wondering how you physically do/did it?

I could do it for the first day but then would stay out until at least 5am (drinking continuously).

By day 2 and day 3 I would be in pieces each day and barely able to stomach food until about 4pm.

Do you guys just take it easy and focus on the music?, stay close to the venue? or am I just getting old?

Getting older definitely. It’s getting harder every year but my thing is staying close to the venue. I had a 10min walk to the forum this year and was back at the hotel 5 (Fr morning), 4 (Sa), 9 (So, went to the beach after dj coco) also only on beer, and some rum+coca cola. Mostly slept until 3-5pm, relaxed at the hotel where I ate a little until ~7pm and back to the forum.  That kind of worked for me - still not being back at 100% today tho. But thats ok for being 39 now, I guess.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Drums Please Fab said:

There are always some early sets I don't wanna miss (Cabiria, The Beths), so we almost always start the day (very) early, hoping to make it to the morning at least once a festival. However, we didn't manage to make it this year (made it to 4 a.m. on Thursday, 3 a.m. on Friday and 2:30 on Saturday).

We spent the whole festival on red wine, water and coffee.

What really helped was sitting at the wine stand from where you can watch the sets at Ron Brugal very comfortably and regain some energy.

As for the wine stand, this has to be said - the staff there was very friendly, there was never a line and they even gave us some free drinks at Brunch (probably some loyal customers programme). For me personally, the wine stand was definitely a part of the extremely positive experience we had this year.

This will have been my seventh edition. Loved it no less (but no more) than any of the previous ones. 

Top 10 acts -

1. Fred Again

2. Overmono

3. Alex G

4. St. Vincent

5. Depeche Mode

6. Blur

7. New Order

8. Mala

9. MMJ

10. Kendrick Lamar

Gripes were mainly around the location of some of the stages (Night Pro was embaressing, Pull&Bear bizarelly stuck at the end of the food court with terrible sound bleeding into Mordor) and losing a lot of the VIP benefits (especially a big stage (Primavera) with a big VIP lawn to comfortably watch shows from, not being able to access the VIP areas on Mordor for the big shows due to overcapacity) and the water fountains having low pressure thereby contining to create long and annoying qeueues.

My controversial but consistent criticism is that DJ Coco truly sucks and other than the nostalgic value and his importance within the festival folklore (and the one year where he played tribute to Bowie which was very good I admit), is awful. Jayda G who played 4-6 on that Sunday morning closer slot was a trillion times better, more fun and maintained the party vibes while Overmono who clashed from 0445-0600 gave a KILLER show, either of those would've been classier and more befitting of Cupra at that time.

Thanks to all of you for all of your deeply valuable and entertaining inputs and analysis. I enjoy them immensely throughout the year.

Can't wait for 2024

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, sinivali said:

Not sure if I'm allowed to say this here, but I didn't much care for Rosalia, it all felt like an overly long Tiktok video. I left halfway through to catch the end of Gilla Band instead. 

same. and i'm a big fan of her last album but couldn't stand the long monologues in Spanish which kept stop starting the show

7 hours ago, Drums Please Fab said:

I seen portishead about ten years ago in Ireland. 

Whats the story with them ? Their heart isn’t in it anymore?

They have the primavera vibe written all over them.

Think they're off doing separate things. Idk I've just never felt the vibe that they would come back at all. The only hint was the charity gig they did in Bristol last year but nothing seems to have materialised from that.

8 hours ago, Drums Please Fab said:

We always stay in the Gothic Quarter, but what helped this year was actually staying until 5am each day & jumping on the metro, those shuttle buses last year were no fun, whereas the metro (even though packed on the Fri night), was a breeze. 

Always try & get back on site by 5pm next day.  The Mercado de La Boqueria just off of Las Ramblas is great for a quick pick me up & make the most of that 10 journey metro pass, plus the Auditori good for a break too (and clean toilets).

Definitely more shattered this year after just 1 weekend, versus the 2 weekends last year, so yeah... getting old!

My 9th edition in a row.

1. Fred Again
2. Rosalia
3. Darkside La2
4. The War on Drugs
5. Ghost
6. Kendrick Lamar
7. Depeche Mode
8. New Order
9. Turnstile
10. Yves Tumor

VIP areas were better than last but still below the quality of the previous editions. Heavy downgrade on the toilets especially on the vip area with soho house, they replaced the comfy porcelain toilets by dixi toilets. Overall they sold way too much vip tickets, during Rosalia or Kendrick you had a 20 minutes big ass line to the toilets.

Edited by Ecco