Primavera Sound Barcelona 2023 + Primavera Sound Madrid 2023

Fnmentaluk

22 minutes ago, pipan said:

This is the highlight for me. Yes, we don't know what reduction they're talking about or how they're planning to keep the number of stages in a smaller area, but generally, I can't help but to see this as a positive thing. 

I'm not so sure. We are losing a huge space in Sant Adria but are PS really going to reduce capacity numbers to 2015 levels? A recent interview with the boss of PS Madrid said the plan for PS23 BCN was 10% or 15% lower capacity (without mentioning Bits disappearing) which is not a whole lot.

5 hours ago, xxialac said:

image.thumb.png.e0757f92949c8f20d285f89aceb221d3.png

They cannot 'add' three new stages to this already super busy main section of last years' site.

They can only replace.

And the outcome of losing maybe 1/3rd of the old site is inevitably more crowding.

The only place I think they could put another stage ,is near the binance stage .

Where they had that stage that arcade fire played 

2 minutes ago, Fnmentaluk said:

The only place I think they could put another stage ,is near the binance stage .

Where they had that stage that arcade fire played 

It seems highly likely they will have to. They used it as the Hidden Stage in 2019 and Hidden seems to have died now as a concept after 5+ years.

One issue is that it means it must alternate with Binance to avoid sound clashes.

...Just realised they called it the Primavera Stage this morning, not the Binance stage. Hope this means Binance have fecked off.

1 hour ago, Hip Priest said:

I'm not so sure. We are losing a huge space in Sant Adria but are PS really going to reduce capacity numbers to 2015 levels? A recent interview with the boss of PS Madrid said the plan for PS23 BCN was 10% or 15% lower capacity (without mentioning Bits disappearing) which is not a whole lot.

You might be right, but for now, I choose to believe they'll manage to make a more compact and less crowded festival than in 2022. OK, I hear myself, probably it's just me being extremely naive.

But they managed to find the right balance in 2017, 2018 and 2019... We'll see.

6 hours ago, xxialac said:

image.thumb.png.e0757f92949c8f20d285f89aceb221d3.png

They cannot 'add' three new stages to this already super busy main section of last years' site.

They can only replace.

And the outcome of losing maybe 1/3rd of the old site is inevitably more crowding.

I speak for wk1 2022 only but I didn't have the feeling that bits managed to lessen the crowds in the main site. It was just too far

Quite a bit to take on board from that Q&A. Am not attending this year but will be interested to see maps and the reviews from you lot to see if I return next year (line up and real life permitting!) anyway. 

I would be a bit wary of the idea that the Primavera stage will be "bigger". I assume they mean the literal stage and you could see some higher profile acts on there, but they need to do something to improve the entry and exit to the stage. Sharon van Etten on day one felt unsafe, it was so busy, and even by the last day of weekend one, while there was plenty of space up the hill for Beach House and others, getting through the crowd was still tricky. So if they decided that was gonna be the spot for, say, Fred Again or something, I'd say it could be chaotic. 

Its a shame to lose Bits. It didn't work well last year but it was great in previous editions when it all functioned okay. It really set PS apart from other festivals. 

3 hours ago, ConfidenceMan said:

Quite a bit to take on board from that Q&A. Am not attending this year but will be interested to see maps and the reviews from you lot to see if I return next year (line up and real life permitting!) anyway. 

I would be a bit wary of the idea that the Primavera stage will be "bigger". I assume they mean the literal stage and you could see some higher profile acts on there, but they need to do something to improve the entry and exit to the stage. Sharon van Etten on day one felt unsafe, it was so busy, and even by the last day of weekend one, while there was plenty of space up the hill for Beach House and others, getting through the crowd was still tricky. So if they decided that was gonna be the spot for, say, Fred Again or something, I'd say it could be chaotic. 

Its a shame to lose Bits. It didn't work well last year but it was great in previous editions when it all functioned okay. It really set PS apart from other festivals. 

Yeah they messed up with this stage last year. They pushed it forward towards the hill when there didn't seem to be any need to. In previous years it was never a stage that felt too busy imo.

I'm guessing they mean to build it further away from the hill and are going to reduce the "open space" in the middle between the Primavera, RayBan stages and the food court. 

• Thanks 1

I can appreciate a feel-good concert - an artist with catchy songs, dancey melodies and lyrics that beg you to singalong. Nothing too profound, just simple fun. In 2022, it was Dua Lipa. In 2023, it looks like it's going to be, surprisingly, Ghost.  

I have to admit, at first I found it quite annoying that Madrid is getting The Mars Volta and Barcelona just some metal (definitely not my genre) band I'd never heard of before. But Primavera broadened my musical horizons once again and Ghost gradually became a must-see.

Thursday is now the strongest day of the whole festival for me (Thursday > Friday > Saturday).

1 hour ago, pipan said:

I can appreciate a feel-good concert - an artist with catchy songs, dancey melodies and lyrics that beg you to singalong. Nothing too profound, just simple fun. In 2022, it was Dua Lipa. In 2023, it looks like it's going to be, surprisingly, Ghost.  

I have to admit, at first I found it quite annoying that Madrid is getting The Mars Volta and Barcelona just some metal (definitely not my genre) band I'd never heard of before. But Primavera broadened my musical horizons once again and Ghost gradually became a must-see.

Thursday is now the strongest day of the whole festival for me (Thursday > Friday > Saturday).

es38q9uidy851.jpg

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, BA_Barrabus said:

Any early predicitions (outside of those names already dropped in the presser) who may play the Auditori?

One of the clashfinders has Darkside but would they not be too high up the bill to appear there?

IMO 

Very likely: Heinali, Arthur Verocai, Israel Fernandez, Eddie Palmieri

Seems like they’re all going to be playing at lunchtime in Madrid. Not ideal if you got back at 5am!

Edited by xxialac
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, wro_lap said:

Just booked Madrid! How do I go about booking the Pet Shop Boys day?

For the Wednesday gig, they will make a reservation system via app for free. I think they will make a big capacity at the Stadium, 10k at least. 

For the Sunday gig they didn't say nothing yet, but I believe they are doing a indoor gig in a small place, and they will charge a small price for that, and use ir in the festival. 

28 minutes ago, xxialac said:

IMO 

Very likely: Heinali, Arthur Verocai, Israel Fernandez, Eddie Palmieri

Seems like they’re all going to be playing at lunchtime in Madrid. Not ideal if you got back at 5am!

There are 2 s scenarios in Madrid: a noon gig, a little rest after and going to the fest. Or a 4pm gig and a direct bus from the Auditorio. 

Let's wait the timetables, but, I think I only go to the John Cale on Saturday. 

Just now, joselito said:

There are 2 s scenarios in Madrid: a noon gig, a little rest after and going to the fest. Or a 4pm gig and a direct bus from the Auditorio. 

Let's wait the timetables, but, I think I only go to the John Cale on Saturday. 

In the radio interview he said Madrid theatre shows would be from 12/1pm to 3/4pm approx.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fabrizzo said:

Laurie Anderson e John Cale for sure 

Those two were confirmed by Alfonso Lanza (the promoter), along with Swand and Boris.

Like @xxialac mentioned, I believe Arthur Verocai, Heinali and Israel Fernandez will be there too. Eddie Palmieri is another great contender.

Perhaps Julia Holter (which played there in the past) and The Delgados  (like @frankburns suggested, especially if they bring a string section).

• Upvote 1