Primavera Sound Barcelona 2023 + Primavera Sound Madrid 2023

Fnmentaluk

Lol at the idea of Odesza headlining instead of Calvin. They were fooled after hearing the Funk Wav Bounces albums and the Love Regenerator stint but that doens't mean they should be tricked that much as to book Odesza next to Rosalía. Would have loved to get Aphex again but if you want a star-filled Saturday maybe he's not the best companion you can have.

1 hour ago, Nesser said:

Lol at the idea of Odesza headlining instead of Calvin. They were fooled after hearing the Funk Wav Bounces albums and the Love Regenerator stint but that doens't mean they should be tricked that much as to book Odesza next to Rosalía. Would have loved to get Aphex again but if you want a star-filled Saturday maybe he's not the best companion you can have.

Calvin Harris is terrible live and old fashioned. Odesza have an amazing live performance, and of course, they could co-headline a festival, they are in the peak of their career.  In fact, they are going to headline Bonnaroo this year, and they were the second biggest name of  their day on Coachella 2018, only behind Eminem. 

We are talking about co-headline. We had last years co-headliners as The National, Beck, Phoenix, or YYY. Odesza are more popular than those right now. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GcphzXKNps&ab_channel=ODESZA

I'm looking at their 2018-2019 tour and it doesn't seem like they played huge places in Europe and it doesn't seem they were high on the lineups at all either

Last time in Spain (as far as I can see) - you can't even find them on the poster

098dcec83cb1dba3abf23b4c924c5a80

Edited by Nicklord
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Whos3000_ said:

Maybe afx wasn’t available but given he already co-headlined in the past I don’t get why there is Calvin Harris as “electronic” name instead of Richard d James. Why would have afx refused a PS booking? It would have been a win win for both sides. Hope it’s not a curatorial choice 

i fear it is....

4 hours ago, Nesser said:

Have a look again at that Saturday and think of putting AFX in it. Calvin Harris makes perfect sense with their intention, even if not a single human here love that intention.

Rosalia (whose headlining status I am definitely fine with) would have sold tickets anyway so why doubling with an even more mainstream name instead than balancing the day with afx? 😞

Rosalía played a 12-city tour last summer in Spain. Obviously she'll move a lot of tickets but it is literally the far opposite of an exclusive act. And I insist: AFX makes no sense at all on that Saturday. Move Halsey next to Rosalía and add Pulp next to Blur and we're talking.

1 hour ago, Nesser said:

Rosalía played a 12-city tour last summer in Spain. Obviously she'll move a lot of tickets but it is literally the far opposite of an exclusive act. And I insist: AFX makes no sense at all on that Saturday. Move Halsey next to Rosalía and add Pulp next to Blur and we're talking.

Just see where they put Rosalia in the Werchter lineup 😒 

Just see where Coachella or any American festival put Rosalía in their lineups. She and any Spanish-speaking artist haven't reach the same relevance in Europe* as they have in the rest of the world. Bad Bunny won't play any European* festival ever because he sells out multiple stadiums in America and headlines the biggest festival over there but he wouldn't here. Rosalía seems to play the game.

*Excluding Spain, obviously.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nesser said:

Just see where Coachella or any American festival put Rosalía in their lineups. She and any Spanish-speaking artist haven't reach the same relevance in Europe* as they have in the rest of the world. Bad Bunny won't play any European* festival ever because he sells out multiple stadiums in America and headlines the biggest festival over there but he wouldn't here. Rosalía seems to play the game.

*Excluding Spain, obviously.

Rosalia just announced as Lollapalooza Paris headliner alongside Kendrick Lamar and (!) Stray Kids. Strange, though.

Off current topic but I found I actually saw a lot less of what I wanted last year due to a mix of clashes, distance between stages, funnels & bottlenecks and going with the flow with friends as opposed to my own thing. Also found I was leaving sets early to make way to next sets (rinse repeat) and maybe didnt enjoy the gigs as much as I would have liked (notable exceptions being the ones we had set up base camp for incl Caribou and Gorillaz).

Based on these reflections I came to the conclusion that for me less is more, and to prioritise a smaller number of 'must sees' (7 a day with any more a bonus), and whilst future stage announcements and potential clashes can completely ruin this, I had started to put my list together.

So very much a subjective question but a) what are folks strategies for maximising their experience and b) what are your 'must-sees'?

12 minutes ago, BA_Barrabus said:

Off current topic but I found I actually saw a lot less of what I wanted last year due to a mix of clashes, distance between stages, funnels & bottlenecks and going with the flow with friends as opposed to my own thing. Also found I was leaving sets early to make way to next sets (rinse repeat) and maybe didnt enjoy the gigs as much as I would have liked (notable exceptions being the ones we had set up base camp for incl Caribou and Gorillaz).

Based on these reflections I came to the conclusion that for me less is more, and to prioritise a smaller number of 'must sees' (7 a day with any more a bonus), and whilst future stage announcements and potential clashes can completely ruin this, I had started to put my list together.

So very much a subjective question but a) what are folks strategies for maximising their experience and b) what are your 'must-sees'?

i just have a policy of 'if it happens, it happens', and leave it at that. maybe a headliner will take priority, or a thing i'll never get to see again, but on the whole it's better not to stress about it i reckon.

i had a lot planned that i didn't see last year, but also lots of stuff i just chanced upon that turned out to be super memorable, especially after midnight.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ohjesus said:

i just have a policy of 'if it happens, it happens', and leave it at that. maybe a headliner will take priority, or a thing i'll never get to see again, but on the whole it's better not to stress about it i reckon.

i had a lot planned that i didn't see last year, but also lots of stuff i just chanced upon that turned out to be super memorable, especially after midnight.

Very sage approach, I like it cheers 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BA_Barrabus said:

Agree with what OhJesus said. Also would add that stages make a big difference for me. If I'm torn between 2 acts I want to see, one playing Mordor and the other playing RayBan (Cupra) I'll go see the act playing the RayBan because I know I'll enjoy it more.

There's a significant difference in atmosphere depending on the stage at Primavera - more than I've noticed elsewhere.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BA_Barrabus said:

Last year, I had a very similar experience to you. Leaving early or not enjoying a few bits because of atmosphere... For me, it's a case of identifying 1-2 must sees each day and working around that. I'll usually catch 7-10 acts a day, but once I've seen and enjoyed my must sees, I don't mind if that number is lower or higher. 

With distances and overlaps, it's just too tricky to catch everything. 

So, for me, I made sure i got good spots for Fred Again, Beach House, The National, Nick Cave, Jamie xx and Caribou, and I bailed out of Gorillaz because I was in a bad spot so wasn't enjoying it and caught Idles, which was loadsa fun. 

A successful weekend even if my pre fest wishlist was twice as long as that. 

Gotta make peace with the idea of clashes and missing out at some stage if I've been going to festivals for 15+ years 😅

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1