2023 legend slot

ProperTea

1 minute ago, sisco said:

Yeah that’s what made people think they were doing Glasto too. 

there doesn't need to be a coronation for people round here to think glasto has booked the spice girls.

5 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

I respectfully disagree, but seeing as how Cash ain’t ever going to grace the pyramid stage in 2023 I guess we’ll never know for sure! 🙂

I'd guess that tea for the tillerman has sold more than all of cash's albums combined.

5 minutes ago, dreams_burn_down said:

And you would be wrong

from a quick google it looks liki am wrong, tea for the tillerman is an album millions of people hold dear, which is why so many of the tracks have been covered.

12 minutes ago, Neil said:

I'd guess that tea for the tillerman has sold more than all of cash's albums combined.

If this was correct, how many of those sales in the 70s would translate into a Pyramid crowd in 2023? By that same logic Travis would get a bigger crowd than Billie Eilish. Mike Oldfield would thrash Stormzy.

It's impossible to say for sure who would get a bigger crowd in 2023, but I don't think album sales are a good measuring stick, certainly if time is involved. It comes down to how much an act has managed to permeate the ears and culture of younger people!

11 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

It comes down to how much an act has managed to permeate the ears and culture of younger people!

by the sucess of many reunions, i thought younger people did old music, if they did, tea for the tillerman would be a solid favourite, like it was for my own generation.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Booking Cat Stevens aside, I struggle with this line of thinking.  How is it out of control?  Too many people are having fun and it must be stopped?

Too many people having fun at one stage can cause crowd problems so it’s more the legend slot can’t be missed attitude when there are acts at other stages. I remember walking by John Peel Tent when Lionel was on and whoever was on at the time must have had the smallest crowd I have ever seen there. 

I would rather people have lots of fun at lots of different stages. I know lots of people who have had panic attacks trying to leave the legend slot as well. 

1 hour ago, Neil said:

from a quick google it looks liki am wrong, tea for the tillerman is an album millions of people hold dear, which is why so many of the tracks have been covered.

Johnny Cash moved into mythic nature amongst younger generations in a way Cat Stevens hasn't. Of course we'll never know for sure but would firmly believe Cash would get the bigger crowd 

3 hours ago, Neil said:

on the kylie and dolly basis, doro scores low, nowhere near the same numbers, could walk away from the pyramid without it being blocked.

Fair enough. I think I got stuck in the crowd crust at the back. Maybe if I’d shown a bit more determination and pushed through I’d have got closer.

2 hours ago, Neil said:

by the sucess of many reunions, i thought younger people did old music, if they did, tea for the tillerman would be a solid favourite, like it was for my own generation.

The radio, TikTok, a reunion, Stranger Things, parents! All sorts of reasons why music trickles down through generations, but there's a big difference between young people finding music and music finding them because it's from an artist that has managed to forever permeate pop culture and the collective conscious.

I love Cat Stevens, I'll be thrilled if he's at Glasto and his music is top notch, but Johnny Cash is a total icon in a way that Cat just isn't. Cash is in the the Dolly Parton, Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, Aretha Franklin tier of legends.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Justiceforcedave said:

The radio, TikTok, a reunion, Stranger Things, parents! All sorts of reasons why music trickles down through generations, but there's a big difference between young people finding music and music finding them because it's from an artist that has managed to forever permeate pop culture and the collective conscious.

I love Cat Stevens, I'll be thrilled if he's at Glasto and his music is top notch, but Johnny Cash is a total icon in a way that Cat just isn't. Cash is in the the Dolly Parton, Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, Aretha Franklin tier of legends.

I'm not sure why I'm debating this so passionately. It's a quiet day 😂

I wonder why anyone would think that booking someone who made a point of publicly and aggresively supporting the murder of the author Salman Rushdie is anyway acceptable.

From the New York Times

"The singer, who adopted the name Yusuf Islam when he converted to Islam, made the remark during a panel discussion of British reactions to Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini's call for Mr. Rushdie to be killed for allegedly blaspheming Islam in his best-selling novel ''The Satanic Verses.'' He also said that if Mr. Rushdie turned up at his doorstep looking for help, ''I might ring somebody who might do more damage to him than he would like.'' 'I'd try to phone the Ayatollah Khomeini and tell him exactly where this man is,'' said Mr. Islam, who watched a preview of the program today and said in an interview that he stood by his comments."

Apparently in recent years he has tried to pass some of his comments off as "jokes".

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

I don't disagree but in the year he played he hadn't quite cemented his status - as can be seen in the relatively meagre turnout.