London vs Fred Again

anditmakesmesmile

I tried to get tickets for Fred Again on Friday. Playing the Roundhouse in March. Capacity of 1700. It sold out in one minute. Less than one minute. Yet four days later, it seems I can still get tickets to see him in Manchester at the Albert Hall (capacity of 1800) and Glasgow at SWG3 TV Studio (capacity of 1000).
Is Fred Again is a particularly London-centric act?
Do people outside of London not go to so many gigs? 
If you're playing Manchester on the Monday, Glasgow on the Tuesday and London on the Thursday and you sell out in less than a minute and the London venue is empty on the Wednesday, wouldn't you add another night.
Do acts deliberately want to sell out in the Capital to raise their kudos?
Do we think he'll be playing Glastonbury, and if so, which stage?

(ps - if anyone has a spare ticket...)

Happens with a lot of acts, and in reverse. Jamie Webster is doing Shepherds Bush Empire in London but the area in Liverpool. Red Rum Club sell out 2,300 capacity venue in Liverpool, don't sell out places that only have a few hundred elsewhere. Look at Courteeners, monster shows in Manchester, not so much down south.

Yer fella Fred Again is apparently from London, doesn't mean anything other than they happen to be more popular where they come from. Probably just because that's where they play most often.

Fred again.. sold out his Manchester Academy 3 gig quite quickly last year - they even moved him to Academy 2 so I guess they weren’t expecting it to sell out. He’s blowing up quicker than anyone really expected, and he seems so humble about it all, which is nice.

This time around, he’s playing Albert Hall, which is a much higher-capacity venue, and I do expect it to sell out. Albert Hall is a beautiful venue worth visiting at least once in your life.

He’s definitely bigger in London, but when I’ve seen him at Academy (and also at Parklife festival), he had a great and supportive crowd, and I absolutely recommend seeing him if you want a bouncy, positive, uplifting experience!

I would be very surprised if he doesn’t play Glasto this year, and would expect to see him at John Peel stage in early evening, or maybe afternoon Park stage, who knows. We’ve Lost Dancing is still very anthemic and will be a lot of people’s highlight of the festival if he does play.

38 minutes ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

I tried to get tickets for Fred Again on Friday. Playing the Roundhouse in March. Capacity of 1700. It sold out in one minute. Less than one minute. Yet four days later, it seems I can still get tickets to see him in Manchester at the Albert Hall (capacity of 1800) and Glasgow at SWG3 TV Studio (capacity of 1000).
Is Fred Again is a particularly London-centric act?
Do people outside of London not go to so many gigs? 
If you're playing Manchester on the Monday, Glasgow on the Tuesday and London on the Thursday and you sell out in less than a minute and the London venue is empty on the Wednesday, wouldn't you add another night.
Do acts deliberately want to sell out in the Capital to raise their kudos?
Do we think he'll be playing Glastonbury, and if so, which stage?

(ps - if anyone has a spare ticket...)

London has 7.5 million people, Glasgow is 600K and Manchester 400K. 

It's not a direct comparison as the catchment areas for the Glasgow and Manchester shows will be larger, but being on Mon/Tue nights you won't have people huge distances.

58 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

I mean the simple answer is about 9 million people live in London compared to Manchester's half a million, surely? 

Manchester and Greater Manchester area is about 5 million so doubt it's that. A lot of it comes down to venues available on the dates you can do and of course there can be regional variances with smaller acts if they are from the area they are playing in. Also what other gigs are on that night. I mean I have been begging Cut Capers to play Manchester for a number of years they finally put in a Manchester date and it's the night I already have tickets to go and see Self Esteem. Any other night and I'd be there but sod's law and all that. 

4 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Manchester and Greater Manchester area is about 5 million so doubt it's that. A lot of it comes down to venues available on the dates you can do and of course there can be regional variances with smaller acts if they are from the area they are playing in. Also what other gigs are on that night. I mean I have been begging Cut Capers to play Manchester for a number of years they finally put in a Manchester date and it's the night I already have tickets to go and see Self Esteem. Any other night and I'd be there but sod's law and all that. 

That's still nearly twice the number of people in venues with near identical capacities. Plus while London is huge there's the public transport situation - between tubes still running post-gig until midnight, night tube, and night buses it's viable to go to the other side of London for a gig on public transport in a way it's not if you're in the sticks of Greater Manchester.

13 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

That's still nearly twice the number of people in venues with near identical capacities. Plus while London is huge there's the public transport situation - between tubes still running post-gig until midnight, night tube, and night buses it's viable to go to the other side of London for a gig on public transport in a way it's not if you're in the sticks of Greater Manchester.

But I have never lived in Manchester. I have lived in Salford, Bolton and Stockport but have always attended gigs in Manchester so people from Greater Manchester do travel into Manchester for gigs all the time. If you get chatting to someone at a Manchester gig it's rare to find someone who would be classed as living in Manchester. 

He played Manchester in late November for £15. It's barely been 2 months to the next announcement, is now £26 and it's a Monday night. 

All will be a factor, he's got a fan base but the keen ones will have seen him in November or Parklife in September (which he's also playing again in June)

I was surprised when I saw the Manchester date as I thought artists tried not to oversaturate an area, I've still got a ticket though.

I would hope he'd be there, he's doing primavera sound, parklife and way out festival so he's definitely touring festivals. As for scheduling, John Peel tent would be lovely or a sunset Park slot (he'd probably have to do different sets depending on it).

Edited by Leyrulion

55 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

But I have never lived in Manchester. I have lived in Salford, Bolton and Stockport but have always attended gigs in Manchester so people from Greater Manchester do travel into Manchester for gigs all the time. If you get chatting to someone at a Manchester gig it's rare to find someone who would be classed as living in Manchester. 

Of course people do. But it's not as easy as in London and that along with having half the number of people even in the greater area can make a difference of 500 or so tickets easily enough.