Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

5 minutes ago, Franco Baresi said:

Young Fathers in Bristol were superb last night, really powerful in a small venue! Only a 30 minute set, so would love to see them do more at Glastonbury.

The new album is very good. I thought about trying for Rough Trade tickets but already had SWX ones for later in the month. I’d be very surprised if they don’t play Glasto

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Maybe Glastonbury is still in their had books after the selective turnout they got when they played the Other Stage.

Festival put them up against George Ezra, definitely seems like unforgivable sabotage to me 😄 

4 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Not everyone was a fan.

Just wow.

On 2/4/2023 at 10:18 AM, Crouchinho76 said:

Saw the Lottery Winners support Frank Turner last night in Brighton.  Hadn't listened to them before.  Possibly one of the most interesting and engaging support acts I've seen - really got the crowd going.  They've got something special about them.  Immediately booked to see them in Brighton in April.  Hope to see them on the farm! 

As I said in my first reply, I was planning to see them support Frank Turner in Northampton, and that gig was last night. Wasn't sure what to expect but they did look like they were having a lot of fun, did make me laugh a few times and had some decent tunes. So, good booking.

Frank was good too. Did note his rhythm section seemed beefed up - new drummer seems to hit the things harder and bass was higher in the mix than previous times, given I've seen him quite a few times. Still got the tunes though.

• Like 1

Another shout for Young Fathers here, saw them at Chalk in Brighton last night.

Pretty dam amazing, but only played a short set as it was an ‘outstore event’ for Resident Records! Really hope they are at Glasto after that little teaser!

First time I’ve been to the venue as well, really impressed. Can’t believe how much it’s changed, unrecognisable!

• Like 2

A little late to the party but had two last week in Black Stone Cherry/The Darkness and Florence and the Machine.

Former was an interesting double-bill - saw BSC in '16 and they were pretty ropey, while the last time I saw The Darkness, they were unexpectedly tight. Reversal of fortunate this time; former very well-drilled, if not specifically blessed with melodic difference, and the latter considerably looser, almost to the point of gleeful sloppiness.

Florence and the Machine was pleasantly tight, but feel her stage persona is tipping into self-parody. A shame, and maybe I'm just feeling disingenuous, but it's one of those things that feels like it punctures the effect of the songcraft.

1 hour ago, Punisher said:

Saw Carly Rae Jepsen at the O2 Academy in Leeds last night and she put on a fantastic show! Great setlist, tight band, amazing stage presence and vocals, confetti. Easily one of the best pop gigs I’ve ever been to.

Would love to see her on the farm this year, maybe JP or Other Stage?

Was meant to do this tour but timings haven't worked out with work et al. Saw the Somerset House show last year though - was barely over an hour, but delivered with a consummate, bouncy tightness. Think she'd be an excellent JP pick.

35 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Was meant to do this tour but timings haven't worked out with work et al. Saw the Somerset House show last year though - was barely over an hour, but delivered with a consummate, bouncy tightness. Think she'd be an excellent JP pick.

Her set was about 90 minutes last night, 24 songs including the encore. Pretty great.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/carly-rae-jepsen/2023/o2-academy-leeds-leeds-england-3bbd7454.html

Edited by Punisher
  • Upvote 1

I was also at Leeds o2 last night for Carly and thought it was a great set! Crossing my fingers she makes a glasto appearance!

Only downside to the gig was the venue imo. Every time I've been to a gig there the floor always seems so cramped and it's hard to find a decent spot! 

Just now, becs94 said:

I was also at Leeds o2 last night for Carly and thought it was a great set! Crossing my fingers she makes a glasto appearance!

Only downside to the gig was the venue imo. Every time I've been to a gig there the floor always seems so cramped and it's hard to find a decent spot! 

Was the balcony open? Usually find it's much stronger than standing on the rare trip there.

Just now, NorthernSoul52 said:

Was the balcony open? Usually find it's much stronger than standing on the rare trip there.

Yeah the balcony was open but I always thought you had to have separate balcony tickets to access it? If I'm wrong I will definitely be heading up that way in the future! 

1 minute ago, becs94 said:

Yeah the balcony was open but I always thought you had to have separate balcony tickets to access it? If I'm wrong I will definitely be heading up that way in the future! 

Ah, you do! But they weren't for sale when I checked the other week, as in they weren't an option at all. Just assumed it was shut for the show.

Frank Turner in Pompey last night. Echoing what others have said - he was on top form and the band sound tighter than ever.

Wilswood Boys were good considering this is their first tour.

Lottery Winners - I was not expecting that! The frontman is a force of nature, totally engaging right from the off, and they've got great songs, loved it 👍