Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

2 gigs to update on both at Band On The Wall in Manchester. 

1st was Katherine Priddy. Really enjoyed this. She has a beautiful voice. Her support act who was a member of her band was also good. Wish it had been better attended. They put seats out which tends to happen for folk acts that haven’t sold enough. A shame as she deserves much more recognition. 

The next one was Cut Capers (coming soon to an Avalon stage near you)

Honestly these guys are so much fun and great live. The new female singer they have is better than last year’s. Much stronger voice which holds up well against the brass section. Would highly recommend catching them if you find yourself at a loose end when they are on. You won’t regret it. 

IMG_6229.jpeg

IMG_6231.jpeg

IMG_6252.jpeg

IMG_6256.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Got offered a freebie to the Boss on Wednesday but just couldn't justify the time off work to get to Sunderland and back. Then he deploys Racing ...

Weather though. Biblical stuff. 

56 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

2 gigs to update on both at Band On The Wall in Manchester. 

1st was Katherine Priddy. Really enjoyed this. She has a beautiful voice. Her support act who was a member of her band was also good. Wish it had been better attended. They put seats out which tends to happen for folk acts that haven’t sold enough. A shame as she deserves much more recognition. 

The next one was Cut Capers (coming soon to an Avalon stage near you)

Honestly these guys are so much fun and great live. The new female singer they have is better than last year’s. Much stronger voice which holds up well against the brass section. Would highly recommend catching them if you find yourself at a loose end when they are on. You won’t regret it. 

IMG_6229.jpeg

IMG_6231.jpeg

IMG_6252.jpeg

IMG_6256.jpeg

Definitely agree re Cut Capers. Such a feel good band, you can’t help but be happy and dance when you’re watching them

The Cribs at Liverpool Olympia were incredible tonight. First two albums in full then a "fans favourites" set of 13 songs after. One of my favourite bands live.

The venue isn't ideal for getting a train home from though, too far out of town. We had to go a very round about route home involving an extra train and £30 taxi, which I suspected was likely, but we probably won't go there again unless it's a one off show like tonight. Would've had to miss Be Safe and Pink Snow, and maybe even still not made the train. 

Live Nation: "Manchester, 25 May 2024: Pink Friday 2 World Tour Update - Nicki Minaj’s scheduled performance at Manchester’s Co-op Live on Saturday 25th May has been postponed. Tickets will remain valid for the rescheduled performance which will be announced ASAP. Despite Nicki’s best efforts to explore every possible avenue to make tonight’s show happen, the events of today have made it impossible. We are deeply disappointed by the inconvenience this has caused. More information will be available at your point of purchase."

For context, Nicki Minaj got arrested by the Dutch cops in Amsterdam this morning, and only got released an hour ago, meaning she couldn't get to Manchester for the show tonight.

That venue just can't catch a break huh.

10 hours ago, charlierc said:

Live Nation: "Manchester, 25 May 2024: Pink Friday 2 World Tour Update - Nicki Minaj’s scheduled performance at Manchester’s Co-op Live on Saturday 25th May has been postponed. Tickets will remain valid for the rescheduled performance which will be announced ASAP. Despite Nicki’s best efforts to explore every possible avenue to make tonight’s show happen, the events of today have made it impossible. We are deeply disappointed by the inconvenience this has caused. More information will be available at your point of purchase."

For context, Nicki Minaj got arrested by the Dutch cops in Amsterdam this morning, and only got released an hour ago, meaning she couldn't get to Manchester for the show tonight.

That venue just can't catch a break huh.

People were already in the venue. Tens of thousands outside the stadium for Bruce too.

Both should've cancelled much earlier.

Was at Live at Leeds yesterday. Spent pretty much the entire day in the big tent...

Never seen Baxter Dury before....

It was a case of the first song was great, and each song he played after was better than the previous one!

When the set finished I turned to my wife and burst out laughing and said "that was one of my all time favourite live experiences". Absolutely gobsmacked!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

People were already in the venue. Tens of thousands outside the stadium for Bruce too.

Both should've cancelled much earlier.

I wasn't aware Springsteen had got that far before they had to cancel his show. I knew of the farce in Manchester given they waited until 9:30 to cancel even though, at that point, I think Nicki was still in Amsterdam.

EDIT: Lucky me I've never had that, though does give me flashbacks to several people I know who were on a train to see Arctic Monkeys in Birmingham when the band had to cancel due to Alex Turner having laryngitis. 

Edited by charlierc

On 5/26/2024 at 6:09 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

f**ksticks

Ouch. Been to see a few gigs abroad and genuinely a thing I'm worried about is getting off the plane to find who I wanna see cancelled, which was a part of why I didn't go to Mad Cool 2022.

Still planning to visit Milan anyway?

Nah. I think I'm going to hold out for the new date first - although not sure when it's going to be given there's only two weeks between Wembley and the next US leg. 

Could even be next summer I guess - which could be good news from a Glastonbury point of view 

Jane's Addiction at the Townhouse last night. I have been a fan for ages and yet had never seen them before. A short set (sub 90 minutes) but all killer and they played all the "must-hears". I was stunned at how good they are. Obviously the musicianship has always been excellent, Navarro ranks very highly as a guitarist for me, but it was Stephen Perkins who earns MVP - his energy behind the kit was phenomenal. But just overall they sounded tight and utterly epic. Farrell's voice has definitely aged, but he uses it very well, with effects and placement in the mix covering over any shortfall. But his charisma remains undiminished, an incredible frontman. I was blown away.

JA townhouse.jpg

20 hours ago, maelzoid said:

Jane's Addiction at the Townhouse last night. I have been a fan for ages and yet had never seen them before. A short set (sub 90 minutes) but all killer and they played all the "must-hears". I was stunned at how good they are. Obviously the musicianship has always been excellent, Navarro ranks very highly as a guitarist for me, but it was Stephen Perkins who earns MVP - his energy behind the kit was phenomenal. But just overall they sounded tight and utterly epic. Farrell's voice has definitely aged, but he uses it very well, with effects and placement in the mix covering over any shortfall. But his charisma remains undiminished, an incredible frontman. I was blown away.

JA townhouse.jpg

So happy to see all these positive Jane's reviews. I see them in Glasgow on Friday night, and I'm absolutely buzzing for it!

• Like 1

On 5/28/2024 at 12:25 PM, maelzoid said:

JA townhouse.jpg

Can’t wait for Friday! Will be a hot one in the Barrowlands!

Saw English Teacher supported by Mary in the Junkyard last night and WOW. 

What a f**kin gig. Been to a lot in my time and this is one of the standout ones. 

Mary in the Junkyard's new EP is fantastic, and their closing song is incredible. They're still quite green in terms of stage presence, but a fantastic band well worth seeing before they blow up. Playing BBC Introducing this year I believe.

Then English Teacher. I've really been enjoying the album slowly, but live they were just fantastic. An absolute wall of sound and frenetic energy. You just got the sense you were watching something very special. Go see them if you can. On Leftfield I believe.

Just back from Jane’s Addiction in Glasgow. Holy sh*t! They were incredible! Band were so tight, Dave Navarro is one phenomenal guitar player and Steven Perkins, what a drummer!

amazing atmosphere and brilliant set list, still absolutely buzzing

IMG_0674.jpeg

• Like 1

Saw Duster in London on Weds night. Love their records and was curious to see how such slow, spaced-out music would translate to a live setting. As it turned out, really well. The riffs hit hard and the quiet parts were given appropriate space. Despite their age they've attracted a surprisingly young crowd through TikTok virality but young and old nodded and swayed to their understated classics.

IMG_3915.jpeg

8 hours ago, blue6field said:

Just back from Jane’s Addiction in Glasgow. Holy sh*t! They were incredible! Band were so tight, Dave Navarro is one phenomenal guitar player and Steven Perkins, what a drummer!

amazing atmosphere and brilliant set list, still absolutely buzzing

IMG_0674.jpeg

It was amazing. They took the roof off the place. Seen a couple of people shout out Perkins but for me the star was Eric. Dude is a f**king machine.  But even Perry didn't dumb down too hard.

The final encore genuinely caught people on thew hop.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1