2023 Festival

TheWaters

14 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Headliners are always going to be "well recieved" by the people who like them, doesn't mean everyone else doesn't think it's crap

To a lot of people the overall headliners have been progressively getting worse and worse... perhaps until this year

Because they chose headliners that more people liked and there was less of an 'everyone else' to think it's crap?

14 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Because they chose headliners that more people liked and there was less of an 'everyone else' to think it's crap?

I don't blame them for doing it, it's just smart business, I was never one to complain about the rap/pop infiltration - I just think "well received" is a nonsensical thing to say about a very subjective topic 

Edited by BenG92

6 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

I don't blame them for doing it, it's just smart business, I was never one to complain about the rap/pop infiltration - I just think "well received" is a nonsensical thing to say about a very subjective topic 

“We’ll received” is completely applicable to subjective topics. It’s not a subjective topic anyway. The festival’s aim is to sell tickets, and it has sold out one site and probably most of the other.

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

“We’ll received” is completely applicable to subjective topics. It’s not a subjective topic anyway. The festival’s aim is to sell tickets, and it has sold out one site and probably most of the other.

Pretty sure Reading has sold out every year for the last decade simply because it's Reading, whereas Download doesn't sell out now because the maximum venue capacity is so expandable - I wouldn't call that a great measure of a set of 3-6 headliners being well received but we can agree to disagree

Just now, BenG92 said:

Pretty sure Reading has sold out every year for the last decade simply because it's Reading, whereas Download doesn't sell out now because the maximum venue capacity is so expandable - I wouldn't call that a great measure of a set of 3-6 headliners being well received but we can agree to disagree

Eventually it might but we’re in January. The speed of sales says a lot about the amount people want to see the acts they’ve booked. It’s honestly bizarre to think otherwise and I don’t agree to disagree.

13 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Eventually it might but we’re in January. The speed of sales says a lot about the amount people want to see the acts they’ve booked. It’s honestly bizarre to think otherwise and I don’t agree to disagree.

Okay, well Reading has consistently sold out between June and August for the past decade until 2021's 6 month early sellout. Do you believe that's because the headliners are 3x as well received as every other year before, or does it have something to do with everyone feeling better about the virus and being desperate for a festival? I just don't think it's a useful metric of overall reception considering the fest will always attracted some sort of crowd. That doesn't factor in the amount of people who hate the lineups year-to-year and don't go which is my whole point. 

Just now, BenG92 said:

Okay, well Reading has consistently sold out between June and August for the past decade until 2021's 6 month early sellout. Do you believe that's because the headliners are 3x as well received as every other year before, or does it have something to do with everyone feeling better about the virus and being desperate for a festival? I just don't think it's a useful metric of overall reception considering the fest will always attracted some sort of crowd. That doesn't factor in the amount of people who hate the lineups year-to-year and don't go which is my whole point. 

Reading aside other festivals are also selling very fast such as Boardmasters which shares the same audience. Its very hard to judge whats actually causing this due to the strong lineups at both honestly

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’m surprised Paramore, Tyler, Sam Fender, Eminem, Twenty One Pilots, Doja Cat would be considered bad?

Perhaps it’s a bit too American leaning and maybe one could be swapped out for a British band? But it felt like a R&L lineup to me.

Lacks indie I like honestly, not huge on Sam Fender and Paramore to begin with and neither has the back catalogue to fill a headline set like Kasabian/Muse/AM/RHCP etc do. I would be really surprised to see Paramore do MSE, theres so little interest in them from the audience and its hardly like they have the legend status of Foos/RATM etc

24 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’m surprised Paramore, Tyler, Sam Fender, Eminem, Twenty One Pilots, Doja Cat would be considered bad?

Perhaps it’s a bit too American leaning and maybe one could be swapped out for a British band? But it felt like a R&L lineup to me.

It's just incredibly soft, it's on par with 2018, especially coming off the back of a year with RATM and BMTH. Would still sell out obviously but it's not gonna excite this forum

4 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Wouldn’t be for me and feels a little bit like something is missing but after this year I think it’ll be tough to follow unless they manage to bag some massive headliners. 

I think 2023 might be a bit too soon for Sam Fender, Tyler, TOP and Doja Cat as they all had albums last year or the year before so I think more likely headliners will be acts bringing out albums this year or next year as apart from RATM all the headliners have dropped albums in 2022 or will be dropping albums in 2023. 

I think Paramore and Muse are both pretty good shouts for 2023. 

8 hours ago, gfa said:

Lacks indie I like honestly, not huge on Sam Fender and Paramore to begin with and neither has the back catalogue to fill a headline set like Kasabian/Muse/AM/RHCP etc do. I would be really surprised to see Paramore do MSE, theres so little interest in them from the audience and its hardly like they have the legend status of Foos/RATM etc

Paramore dont have a back catalogue but Kasabian do? Crikey.

8 hours ago, wghennessy said:

Paramore dont have a back catalogue but Kasabian do? Crikey.

Played a hit filled set at Brixton last November in my eyes anyway. Definitely more popular with the audience and are cheaper

Kasabian have bangers galore. As do Paramore. Both fanbases are obviously going to pull for their preferred act. 

Kasabian would definitely be more popular overall but people shouldn't be thinking that Paramore are some small-fry band that no longer have fans at R&L. They are a generational band that are important to a lot of people. 

Gorillaz / Queens of the Stone Age

Doja Cat / Central Cee

Muse / Tame Impala

With Muse playing Absolution in full for the 20th anniversary. I reckon that's realistic enough. I wouldn't care for the middle day at all but I reckon it'll look something like that. 

25 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Gorillaz at R&L ain't happening. If people are saying Paramore couldn't headline MSE because they don't have the fans at R&L anymore, Gorillaz have even less. I'm sure they'll do APE or something one year where you can go and see them with an appreciative crowd. 

Gorillaz are playing APE this year. It's a decent line up too with IDLES, Pusha T, Self Esteem etc on it.

40 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Gorillaz at R&L ain't happening. If people are saying Paramore couldn't headline MSE because they don't have the fans at R&L anymore, Gorillaz have even less. I'm sure they'll do APE or something one year where you can go and see them with an appreciative crowd. 

People saying that about Paramore are wrong, too, though, and if Muse/Tame Imapala can fill that slot then Gorillaz absolutely can. Hell, they just did Boardmasters last year which really isn't a far cry.

L+R Crowd may not know the deep cuts but they'll certainly be up for Feel Good Inc, Client Eastwood, DARE, Dirty Harry and Melancholy Hill and they're great at incorporating other artists like slowthai and slaves into their live shows.

Just now, BenG92 said:

People saying that about Paramore are wrong, too, though, and if Muse/Tame Imapala can fill that slot then Gorillaz absolutely can. Hell, they just did Boardmasters last year which really isn't a far cry.

L+R Crowd may not know the deep cuts but they'll certainly be up for Feel Good Inc, Client Eastwood, DARE, Dirty Harry and Melancholy Hill and they're great at incorporating other artists like slowthai and slaves into their live shows.

Honestly can’t see Tame Impala or Gorillaz playing R&L, just acts that don’t really fit and I think R&L will more likely go for a Courteeners, Royal Blood or Paramore etc. 

13 minutes ago, foolee said:

Honestly can’t see Tame Impala or Gorillaz playing R&L, just acts that don’t really fit and I think R&L will more likely go for a Courteeners, Royal Blood or Paramore etc. 

I would've said the same about RATM and BMTH too this time last year! Heaviest year since Metallica in 2015, I'm open to L+R actually surprising me again. Shit, now that I mention it, get Metallica back in, why not. 

Edit: not this time last year, should have said before RATM were announced for the year that got canned

Edited by BenG92

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:
1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

They were a hit at Boardmasters which has the exact same audience. No reason why not imo

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

R&L has 6 headliners now. If panic can headline Paramore 100% can.

Never said they couldn’t headline just not MSE