Football 2021/2022

jyoung

52 minutes ago, lost said:

There probably is some expectation with Newcastle because it fairly recently that they were the richest club under Sir John Hall and probably should of won the league the year Fergie got in Keegans head.

If an area of the country deserves investment it probably is Newcastle or Sunderland. What City's owners have done to in the anacoats area of Manchester is fantastic and so if similar can happen here then some good could come out of this after the Saudi's have moved on. 

I thought Newcastle only ever got as high as number 2 on the rich list in the Hall era. Unless his wealth was under-reported at the time. In fairness they weren't far off in 1995/96 - Man United won 13 of the last 15 games, which is not far off the form Man City and Liverpool showed in their title duel in the last pre-covid season, and the only defeat was that bizarre "wrong kit" game at Southampton. Had they done as well as their messier first half of the season, there's no way they would've won it, but then that's re-litigating a season that finished when I was 3.

I hear a lot about expectation but I've always thought that was an exaggeration based on fans perhaps understandably being unhappy with the comedown. Even shoving the mid-90's to one side, we weren't far off winning stuff under Bobby Robson in the early 2000's, then blew it by bringing in the dreadful Graeme Souness who, yes, reached our last FA Cup semi, but created the atmosphere that lead to Dyer & Bowyer's on pitch WWE antics, and then duly botched a squad refresh in 2005 that left a load of overpaid duds on the books. After that, success was always likelier to be either through a clever player trading strategy or a Leicester-like fluke, and we had neither. Stagnant commercial income due to SportsDirect (and other Ashley brands at various points) getting free advertising all over SJP and a cut of the merch sales didn't help.

23 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I have never said Newcastle fans are worse, I would call out any fans in the same situation. As I have said I have more respect for those fans who just admit they care more about success than human rights in another country, as opposed to those who in reality think the same, but come up with excuses to justify their view.

As for portrayal of Newcastle fans they have definitely contributed to this by trying to make out that Ashley is among the worst owners ever. The reality is he isn't among the worse of the last 2 years. Clubs have gone bust or gone freefall down the pyramid under worse owners. Talk about meandering through and lack of ambition)winning trophies, this is the norm for fans of most clubs.

Not every fan was like that - I'm aware that so many EFL clubs have had truly dreadful owners in the last 15 years and many would swap their nightmare for Ashley. He was crap for our requirements and it is true that there have been too many low points since he turned up in 2007 or moments that made us want to reconsider supporting them, but I'm equally aware it could've been worse. Hell, getting relegated twice as much because of our own shit decision making was painful, but at least unlike Leeds or Portsmouth we got back straight away rather than falling deeper and deeper into a financial black hole. But I'm aware loud noises carry and those will create a perception. It's similar to whenever Man United fans calling the Glazers the worst owners ever pipe up.

28 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I thought Newcastle only ever got as high as number 2 on the rich list in the Hall era. Unless his wealth was under-reported at the time. In fairness they weren't far off in 1995/96 - Man United won 13 of the last 15 games, which is not far off the form Man City and Liverpool showed in their title duel in the last pre-covid season, and the only defeat was that bizarre "wrong kit" game at Southampton.

Cantona was amazing that season, well from 1st October after his ban. 

So many 1-0 wins with Eric getting the winner, then ending it with that cup final winner.

4 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

If Newcastle UNITED end up buying their way into the top six then hopefully it will finally stop that team from Manchester thinking that they’re the only Utd in the country. 🤦‍♂️

Drives me absolutely mental that but it isn't just Manchester United fans that do it, someone from my work supports Everton and he was saying United the other day. Had to ask him which club he meant and he didn't quite get why I was asking.

3 hours ago, thetime said:

Cantona was amazing that season, well from 1st October after his ban. 

So many 1-0 wins with Eric getting the winner, then ending it with that cup final winner.

3 hours ago, lost said:

Newcastle bought Asprilla in Feburary too. Brilliant flair player but I think they changed their style a bit to accommodate him.

How Newcastle lost that title I think is always one of the most interesting PL-era stories, and with fair reason given no team has ever thrown away a big a gap as that 12 point margin. I think the moment that knocked things off course wasn't Man U's win at SJP or that 4-3 at Anfield, or signing Asprilla and David Batty (like Asprilla, Batty was also cited as a change too far), but an injury to Keith Gillespie during a 2-0 Christmas-time defeat at Old Trafford. It took away a main attacking threat for most of the rest of the season and lead to the attempted tactical fix of Beardsley wide right, which felt like trying to get ahead of others figuring Newcastle out that backfired.

Least that's the interpretation I got from the BBC's Fever Pitch doc anyway, when it was done following Man United which it did for about 75% of it's run time. Though yeah, Cantona was on fire, which absolutely helped.

Tbf there were moments when I thought if Liverpool blew their 20+ point lead in 2019-20, Newcastle would at least have company in the "epic choke denies first title in years" stakes.

Edited by charlierc

25 minutes ago, charlierc said:

How Newcastle lost that title I think is always one of the most interesting PL-era stories, and with fair reason given no team has ever thrown away a big a gap as that 12 point margin. I think the moment that knocked things off course wasn't Man U's win at SJP or that 4-3 at Anfield, or signing Asprilla and David Batty (like Asprilla, Batty was also cited as a change too far), but an injury to Keith Gillespie during a 2-0 Christmas-time defeat at Old Trafford. It took away a main attacking threat for most of the rest of the season and lead to the attempted tactical fix of Beardsley wide right, which felt like trying to get ahead of others figuring Newcastle out that backfired.

Least that's the interpretation I got from the BBC's Fever Pitch doc anyway, when it was done following Man United which it did for about 75% of it's run time. Though yeah, Cantona was on fire, which absolutely helped.

Tbf there were moments when I thought if Liverpool blew their 20+ point lead in 2019-20, Newcastle would at least have company in the "epic choke denies first title in years" stakes.

One could argue uniteds 8 point lead over city with 6 games left was a bigger collapse.

14 minutes ago, thetime said:

One could argue uniteds 8 point lead over city with 6 games left was a bigger collapse.

Arsenal in 2002/03 came up as well in similar fashion, though that one in 2011/12 was great drama. I guess with the 12 points for Newcastle, there was still plenty of time for Man U to claw it back and indeed did even before April started.

4 minutes ago, thetime said:

Well Newcastle are not as renowned for class music like Manchester.. well they do have Lauren Laverne though. 💋

You're going after a bite there surely? She's a Mackem! 

I think most of my points are, yes the Saudi's are grim but absolutely any of these mega, mega rich people are to differing degrees (the Saudi's being the worse tbf). If Newcastle fans should be against this takeover then many of you other football fans should be opposing many other aspects of football (which some of you are).

There's so much of our every day lives that are influenced by money from these very same people and yet we get on with it, we might not like it or even boycott some things because of this but our capitalism system is influenced by these states. 

The Premier League long ago became the "whoever has the deepest pockets" league, Man U regularly bought every other club's best players in the early years, Blackburn was a bankroll job, as were Newcastle's last attempt at the title, Chelsea and now Man City. PIF.thumb.jpeg.d28986769eb5d8751ebb81c8bb9c6492.jpeg

It reeks of hypocrisy from what I can see.

28 minutes ago, thetime said:

See how you guys hate 'united', manchester united fans find the term 'man u' deeply offensive. Possibly the worst thing apart from 'munich' you could say to anyone connected with united.

But everyone knows who you mean when you say Man U, just saying United could be any of 10 plus teams.

10 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

But everyone knows who you mean when you say Man U, just saying United could be any of 10 plus teams.

Just saying its offensive, as a rule by mainly leeds fans and occasionaly liverpool fans to mock Munich. Although was started by baggies fans.

By what yourself say and the leeds fan, everyone knows who they mean by united.

16 minutes ago, thetime said:

Just saying its offensive, as a rule by mainly leeds fans and occasionaly liverpool fans to mock Munich. Although was started by baggies fans.

Most people just say Man U because it’s less syllables than saying Manchester Utd or Man Utd. 

Don’t worry though. Us Leeds fans just usually call you Scum. 

19 minutes ago, thetime said:

Sorry but I don't understand how.

Anyway, first United was Sheffield wasn't it?

2 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Anyway, first United was Sheffield wasn't it?

I think fans saying united, when everyone on here knows they mean man utd. Is slightly on a different scale to leeds fans saying man u for anti munich purposes, but hey ho each to there own.

2 minutes ago, thetime said:

I think fans saying united, when everyone on here knows they mean man utd. Is slightly on a different scale to leeds fans saying man u for anti munich purposes, but hey ho each to there own.

Yeah but they shouldn't just assumed they mean Manchester United, it's annoying. Pundits who do it are the absolute worst too, Ive even heard Shearer do it 😠

Isn't it more of a thing of the Manchester locals saying "United" and "City" that got out of hand?

1 minute ago, thetime said:

No 

Why is it annoying?

It’s confusing. There are many teams with United in their name and many teams with City. In my part of the country if you talk about United and City people tend to mean Leeds United and Bradford City. 

For those in the South West City refers to Bristol City rather than Bristol Rovers. 

If I said are you watching the Town game then you wouldn’t have a clue who I meant but people in my area would know I mean Huddersfield.