Football 2021/2022

jyoung

2 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

You realise that one of the reasons Disney and Facebook have been referenced is because the exact same Saudi company PIF has a stake in both of them?

Also, Walt Disney was a humongous racist, and that company is still trading on both his name and films that showcased that ideology.

Financial interest is a LOT different to a full takeover

Walt Disney is dead though and has been for decades. Not sure if you've heard about what Churchill was like...:-)

You realise that one of the reasons Disney and Facebook have been referenced is because the exact same Saudi company PIF has a stake in both of them?

Also, Walt Disney was a humongous racist, and that company is still trading on both his name and films that showcased that ideology.

I'm not sure I agree with comparing Facebook to a football club. A club is part of the fabric of a town/city. It's a completely different emotional relationship. I expect the club representing my town/city to have different standards than a giant faceless media/social media company.

7 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I'm not sure I agree with comparing Facebook to a football club. A club is part of the fabric of a town/city. It's a completely different emotional relationship. I expect the club representing my town/city to have different standards than a giant faceless media/social media company.

It's exactly the same. The Saudis are pumping money in as a financial investment, just like they invest in all the other companies. It is then up to the consumer/fan to decide whether they part with their cash or take the moral high ground.

Back to football, Foden is easily England's best player.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, eastynh said:

It's exactly the same. The Saudis are pumping money in as a financial investment, just like they invest in all the other companies. It is then up to the consumer/fan to decide whether they part with their cash or take the moral high ground.

Back to football, Foden is easily England's best player.

Difference between an investment and a controlling interest 

Pride in Football don't support it.

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Difference between an investment and a controlling interest 

Pride in Football don't support it.

There's no difference what so ever. They are investing money in both entities to make a profit. Both are investments for financial gain. What difference does it make whether they have a controlling interest or not?

2 hours ago, eastynh said:

There's no difference what so ever. They are investing money in both entities to make a profit. Both are investments for financial gain. What difference does it make whether they have a controlling interest or not?

Lol you know the Saudis aren't investing in Newcastle to make a profit? Same with Man City. You know what sportswashing is?

2 hours ago, zahidf said:

Financial interest is a LOT different to a full takeover

Walt Disney is dead though and has been for decades. Not sure if you've heard about what Churchill was like...:-)

If you're suggesting that everyone who offers tangential support to NUFC is complicit in the Saudi's crimes, or at least tacitly endorsing them, then there's no difference.

In a capitalist society, you support anyone you give money to. It's how it works. If you give money to Disney, you are supporting everyone that owns a stake in Disney, including the Saudis, and including everyone crowing about how the racist history of the institution is only history (it's not).

I'm happy to talk about PIF, the danger of their international investments, and I'm happy to endorse and advocate for mass boycotts of everything they're involved in, including NUFC. The sportswashing is a huge issue, and I've already said I won't be putting any financial support into the club because of the new owners' crimes and links.

What is bothering me, is the virtue-signalling of those who are only now giving a shit so they can have a go at Newcastle fans. Those parading Saudi flags are sickening, but I can appreciate that the emotional release of Ashley going is meaningful. I'm not going to judge other fans for being able to find joy in football again.

7 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

If you're suggesting that everyone who offers tangential support to NUFC is complicit in the Saudi's crimes, or at least tacitly endorsing them, then there's no difference.

In a capitalist society, you support anyone you give money to. It's how it works. If you give money to Disney, you are supporting everyone that owns a stake in Disney, including the Saudis, and including everyone crowing about how the racist history of the institution is only history (it's not).

I'm happy to talk about PIF, the danger of their international investments, and I'm happy to endorse and advocate for mass boycotts of everything they're involved in, including NUFC. The sportswashing is a huge issue, and I've already said I won't be putting any financial support into the club because of the new owners' crimes and links.

What is bothering me, is the virtue-signalling of those who are only now giving a shit so they can have a go at Newcastle fans. Those parading Saudi flags are sickening, but I can appreciate that the emotional release of Ashley going is meaningful. I'm not going to judge other fans for being able to find joy in football again.

I'm not saying tha Newcastle fans are complicit now. I'm just against the people trying to justify the takeover as being one of those things. I'm against it and hope other people are as well , but I don't begrudge the fans who don't feel the same. But the whataboutism is what I find tedious wheber sportswashing is bought up 

31 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Lol you know the Saudis aren't investing in Newcastle to make a profit? Same with Man City. You know what sportswashing is?

That just shows how utterly clueless you are. ADUG bought City for £300 million. It is then believed Mansour invested £700 million of his own money into players and infrastructure. So that was an investment of £1 billion. Mansour made that back by selling 10% to Chinese investors and American investment firm Silverlake. City are now valued at £2.6 billion and Mansour owns 90% of that. That's a profit of £2.34 billion on his investment.

It has nothing to do with sportswashing. No one in this country gave a fuck what Abu Dhabi got up to before Mansour invested in City. If it was sportswashing, it has clearly not worked, as it has only brought attention to things that happen in Abu Dhabi.

Good luck to Newcastle and their fans. Been down at a couple of their games. Great place to watch football. 

9 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

What is bothering me, is the virtue-signalling of those who are only now giving a shit so they can have a go at Newcastle fans. 

That's part of being a big club isn't it? You are now at the start of being hated by the majority, fans will pick every little subject to have a go now. City and Chelsea have had it for years, united and Liverpool fans have had it a truckload more so.

I know yourself have been throwing over to the other clubs, especially united fans down the years. When you sign the top players and challenging for the top trophies, im sure you can take a bit of stick thrown Newcastle way.

4 minutes ago, thetime said:

united and Liverpool fans have had it a truckload more so.

I know yourself have been throwing over to the other clubs, especially united fans down the years

If Newcastle UNITED end up buying their way into the top six then hopefully it will finally stop that team from Manchester thinking that they’re the only Utd in the country. 🤦‍♂️

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

If Newcastle UNITED end up buying their way into the top six then hopefully it will finally stop that team from Manchester thinking that they’re the only Utd in the country. 🤦‍♂️

There's was only one united when leeds tried to buy there way up there before it went pear shaped, there was still only one united then.

Can't see it changing much now, there's only one united.

It's quite strange fans are moaning about owners pumping masses amount of money into clubs. Then you have the likes of Leeds having Ridsdale and Ken Bates bleeding Leeds dry and the glazers taking 10s of millions out of united.

Who are the bad owners?

Edited by thetime

40 minutes ago, thetime said:

There's was only one united when leeds tried to buy there way up there before it went pear shaped, there was still only one united then.

Can't see it changing much now, there's only one united.

It's quite strange fans are moaning about owners pumping masses amount of money into clubs. Then you have the likes of Leeds having Ridsdale and Ken Bates bleeding Leeds dry and the glazers taking 10s of millions out of united.

Who are the bad owners?

I like the Glazers, long may they reign 🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, thetime said:

That's part of being a big club isn't it? You are now at the start of being hated by the majority, fans will pick every little subject to have a go now. City and Chelsea have had it for years, united and Liverpool fans have had it a truckload more so.

I know yourself have been throwing over to the other clubs, especially united fans down the years. When you sign the top players and challenging for the top trophies, im sure you can take a bit of stick thrown Newcastle way.

There's been a thing over recent years of media suggesting Newcastle fans are entitled for wanting more than 17th in the Prem. Very few fans have been deluded enough to think that anything other than the occasional Europa League or cup run was achievable given the club's wealth, but there's been that portrayal.

Obviously expectations will rise, and Newcastle will get the same stick thrown as City and Chelsea. I've no problem with that. It's just those suggesting that Newcastle fans celebrating a takeover are somehow worse than others. It's just how football works nowadays, and how football fans do.

There probably is some expectation with Newcastle because it fairly recently that they were the richest club under Sir John Hall and probably should of won the league the year Fergie got in Keegans head.

If an area of the country deserves investment it probably is Newcastle or Sunderland. What City's owners have done to in the anacoats area of Manchester is fantastic and so if similar can happen here then some good could come out of this after the Saudi's have moved on. 

40 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

There's been a thing over recent years of media suggesting Newcastle fans are entitled for wanting more than 17th in the Prem. Very few fans have been deluded enough to think that anything other than the occasional Europa League or cup run was achievable given the club's wealth, but there's been that portrayal.

Obviously expectations will rise, and Newcastle will get the same stick thrown as City and Chelsea. I've no problem with that. It's just those suggesting that Newcastle fans celebrating a takeover are somehow worse than others. It's just how football works nowadays, and how football fans do.

I have never said Newcastle fans are worse, I would call out any fans in the same situation. As I have said I have more respect for those fans who just admit they care more about success than human rights in another country, as opposed to those who in reality think the same, but come up with excuses to justify their view.

As for portrayal of Newcastle fans they have definitely contributed to this by trying to make out that Ashley is among the worst owners ever. The reality is he isn't among the worse of the last 2 years. Clubs have gone bust or gone freefall down the pyramid under worse owners. Talk about meandering through and lack of ambition)winning trophies, this is the norm for fans of most clubs.

30 minutes ago, lost said:

There probably is some expectation with Newcastle because it fairly recently that they were the richest club under Sir John Hall and probably should of won the league the year Fergie got in Keegans head.

If an area of the country deserves investment it probably is Newcastle or Sunderland. What City's owners have done to in the anacoats area of Manchester is fantastic and so if similar can happen here then some good could come out of this after the Saudi's have moved on. 

Yes in that way city are a bit different to Chelsea and Newcastle. People forget Newcastle have already tried to buy the title.