news & politics:discussion

zahidf

7 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

What he did say though is there is no way we will ever see low interest rates again like we had.

Not sure about that one. Maybe for the next 6 - 10 years until the supply side issues are resolved but for me interest rates & demand appear to be driven by demographics.

Nobodies having kids anymore and China is completely fucked. They've left the one child policy in place for too long and haven't factored in the de-population effect of moving from a agricultural economy to industrial /service sector (basically when you live on a farm you have loads of kids as they are free labour whilst being stuck in a rabbit hutch style apartment in the city there is nowhere for them to go) I think they are about to lose something mental like half a billion people over the next generation.

6 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Even if we wanted to though I don't know how you have low interest rates with the inflation we are seeing and likely to see for the coming future. 

Not sure I follow the concept above about China and so on.

I mean demand. Inflation is either more demand chasing the same amount of goods or the same demand chasing a smaller amount of goods (like now where Russia has more commodities than the rest of the planet put together)

The average persons demand peaks when they reach household formation age so you buy a house, furnish it, buy stuff for the kids etc.. When your a pensioner generally your demand drops, your living off a pension and you only buy new stuff to replace broken stuff. Hence an aging population is deflationary.

Edited by lost

I mean we don't know what every person thinks...but labout have had a 5 to 10 point lead for a while...then along come Truss and  Kwarteng with their genius plan straight out of the taxpayers alliances bumhole and markets said hold on a minute...and then Starmer did his well accepted speech with something for everyone with a new state owned clean energy company called GREAT britain energy...and hey ho people start to think this lot are fucking crazy, whereas labour are looking a safe bet with an optimistic, positive vibe these days...

11 minutes ago, lost said:

I mean demand. Inflation is either more demand chasing the same amount of goods or the same demand chasing a smaller amount of goods (like now where Russia has more commodities than the rest of the planet put together)

The average persons demand peaks when they reach household formation age so you buy a house, furnish it, buy stuff for the kids etc.. When your a pensioner generally your demand drops, your living off a pension and you only buy new stuff to replace broken stuff. Hence an aging population is deflationary.

good for the environment though.

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

ok, no evidence. Just checking.

Polling shows both a Tory decline but a Labour surge too as seen through polling in the last day showing Labour picking up Lib Dem support too.

Given it was conference week it’s not a surprise. 

37 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I thought you had me on ignore 🙂 

So which big Labour policy announcement has caused a 20 point swing ?   The swing is down to the Tories actions and choices.  Nothing Labour is doing.

Evidence....  Fucking reality 🙂

All the polling shows an increase in Labour and Starmers favourability ratings though, which shows that people do like what they see from them. Also, the labour conference gave them a bounce (there is polling evidence of starmers speech going well)

39 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I mean we don't know what every person thinks...but labout have had a 5 to 10 point lead for a while...then along come Truss and  Kwarteng with their genius plan straight out of the taxpayers alliances bumhole and markets said hold on a minute...and then Starmer did his well accepted speech with something for everyone with a new state owned clean energy company called GREAT britain energy...and hey ho people start to think this lot are fucking crazy, whereas labour are looking a safe bet with an optimistic, positive vibe these days...

Yep, as with most stuff, it is a combination of things,not just one factor

55 minutes ago, lost said:

Nobodies having kids anymore and China is completely fucked. They've left the one child policy in place for too long and haven't factored in the de-population effect of moving from a agricultural economy to industrial /service sector (basically when you live on a farm you have loads of kids as they are free labour whilst being stuck in a rabbit hutch style apartment in the city there is nowhere for them to go) I think they are about to lose something mental like half a billion people over the next generation.

They are telling people now to have 3 children.