news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Kudos to Rayner for not backing down on the 'scum' thing. 

The tories are successfully managing the narrative wherein it is a bigger crime to accuse BJ of being scum than the catalogue of offensive shit he has said over the years. Just like it seems worse to call someone a liar in the HoC than to actually lie in the HoC. 

The longer they call on her to apologise, the longer people are reminded that BJ is actually deserving of the insult, and I think for a growing proportion of society, that's a good thing.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Kudos to Rayner for not backing down on the 'scum' thing. 

The tories are successfully managing the narrative wherein it is a bigger crime to accuse BJ of being scum than the catalogue of offensive shit he has said over the years. Just like it seems worse to call someone a liar in the HoC than to actually lie in the HoC. 

The longer they call on her to apologise, the longer people are reminded that BJ is actually deserving of the insult, and I think for a growing proportion of society, that's a good thing.

yeah, but who does that play to. Bojo/tory haters who labour don't need to win over, or people who voted tory in last election and now think...oh I got it all wrong, I didn't realise,  they are actually scum? Because I don't think that strategy is going to work.

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

It’s almost like you had to find something to dampen the good news slightly.

Yeah sorry. It is a jump for labour, for sure. Previous polls showing a Tory cut did not show a labour gain like this one. But looks like starmer still has some work to do, maybe things will improve after his barnstorming speech on Wednesday.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

So, despite any announcements from reeves and Mandy, and anything Khan or Burnham might have said, a divided labour fighting amongst themselves will be the news. What a gift for Johnson this lot are.

Labour really are the gift that keep on giving at the moment.

How can you be this shite?

Opposition my arse.

5 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Labour really are the gift that keep on giving at the moment.

How can you be this shite?

Opposition my arse.

Yeah, what a joke. So frustrating. Fair enough people are fucked off with starmer, but for god's sake labour are going to be better for workers rights than the tories, but they need to do something called win first. I quite liked McDonald bloke, but I just think he's a dick now. I guess some will argue he's a man of principle etc., but to do this now without even discussing with starmer first just makes him a bit of a c**t to me. I would be saying the same if anyone did same to corbyn too. There is something called loyalty.

It's actually been a pretty decent day for Labour. Strong policy announcements one of which is a green investment which has been touted as a significant step for the country in the right direction, strong speech by the Shadow Chancellor and a government in disarray over the fuel crises. There are 2 ways to look at things, of course things will look bad if only the bad news for Labour gets shared.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It's actually been a pretty decent day for Labour. Strong policy announcements one of which is a green investment which has been touted as a significant step for the country in the right direction, strong speech by the Shadow Chancellor and a government in disarray over the fuel crises. There are 2 ways to look at things, of course things will look bad if only the bad news for Labour gets shared.

It's the headlines at the moment. Press just doing what the press does, they want a labour split story, and they have it. Who cares about actual policies. McDonald knows this too. Maximum damage.

Anyway £15 isn't enough, should be at least £16.50. Actually no, fuck it, make it 20.

Pretty annoyed tbh, and now a bit drunk.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

It's the headlines at the moment. Press just doing what the press does, they want a labour split story, and they have it. Who cares about actual policies. McDonald knows this too. Maximum damage.

Oh come on, for months now we’ve heard ‘Labour have no policies’, ‘What would Labour do?’ Now they are announcing a load of policies and it’s now not about actual policies.

They are actually do what people have been asking for and to be fair the policies sound pretty decent from what I’ve read about them so far. 

15 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

The country needs an opposition which is pulling in the same direction not fighting amongst themselves.

We want / need a viable alternative and that won’t be Labour until they sort their shit out.

How can they be looked at as serious at the moment?

If there wasn’t any bad news to be shared it wouldn’t be shared and people could focus on a strong opposition. Your final sentence doesn’t make any sense! 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Oh come on, for months now we’ve heard ‘Labour have no policies’, ‘What would Labour do?’ Now they are announcing a load of policies and it’s now not about actual policies.

They are actually do what people have been asking for and to be fair the policies sound pretty decent from what I’ve read about them so far. 

No, I'm saying that's how it's played in the media. It's so frustrating, as you're right. People shout about labour having no policies, but when they say anything people just switch off, cause I guess it's more boring than a human story of people arguing or shagging or whatever. So tonight on news main headline will be labour divided, and then further down somewhere will be what was in Reeves' speech. I wonder what they have planned for when Starmer makes his speech on wednesday?

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

The country needs an opposition which is pulling in the same direction not fighting amongst themselves.

We want / need a viable alternative and that won’t be Labour until they sort their shit out.

How can they be looked at as serious at the moment?

If there wasn’t any bad news to be shared it wouldn’t be shared and people could focus on a strong opposition. Your final sentence doesn’t make any sense! 

I think Ozanne is arguing, with some justification, that people on lefty social media share this stuff, and not policies. People like me! But, I had the radio on earlier and the McDonald story was the main headline.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

No, I'm saying that's how it's played in the media. It's so frustrating, as you're right. People shout about labour having no policies, but when they say anything people just switch off, cause I guess it's more boring than a human story of people arguing or shagging or whatever. So tonight on news main headline will be labour divided, and then further down somewhere will be what was in Reeves' speech. I wonder what they have planned for when Starmer makes his speech on wednesday?

It is frustrating but this is the beast that they have to deal with. Focus on the positives that are out there because there are some! If certain people only share negative Labour events then of course it’ll seem that way. 

There have actually been some really positive moments for Labour recently look at all the policy announcements to see evidence of what Labour as a government would do which is what people have been crying out for. They are positioning themselves as a very credible alternative to this shower we have in government at the moment. This is what the country needs and if they can continue in this way then I’m hopeful that the public will see that too. 

I trust that Starmer will deliver a strong speech, whether it’s enough for some who knows.

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It is frustrating but this is the beast that they have to deal with. Focus on the positives that are out there because there are some! If certain people only share negative Labour events then of course it’ll seem that way. 

There have actually been some really positive moments for Labour recently look at all the policy announcements to see evidence of what Labour as a government would do which is what people have been crying out for. They are positioning themselves as a very credible alternative to this shower we have in government at the moment. This is what the country needs and if they can continue in this way then I’m hopeful that the public will see that too. 

I trust that Starmer will deliver a strong speech, whether it’s enough for some who knows.

I admire your optimism, I really do.