news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Just now, hodgey123 said:

I am vehemently anti-Tory. I will probably still vote for Labour but I really wish there was an alternative.

For me personally Green all the way.

By far the closest to my beliefs

18 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

You don't do the localism part, so not really your beliefs.

Edited by Neil

58 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

ok..well...yes....so if keep property and value goes up you pay some tax on that...but if you inherit property and other assets, and those total assets are worth something big, tax the f**k out of it, tax it hard, tax it real good.

I agree you can find posts of mine suggesting 100% inheritance tax 

26 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Theres plenty:

Green policies - GB Energy, clean energy by 2030, stopping new oil/gas licenses, warm homes plan, clean air act.

New deal for workers rights

Renationalise railway 

End non-dom tax status

End charitable status for private schools

Equal pay for BAME workers

Mental health focus, see someone within a month

Ambitious targets for sewage discharge to water firms and punishments for exceeding.

This is just naming a few, there are many more.

Except this is 1/20th of the pledges they've made since Starmer came into power, and of the other 95%, they've backpedalled and reduced their commitment on virtually all of them. It's simultaneously embarrassing and uninspiring.

The issue isn't that the £28bn figure mattered, or that when it comes to the costings and details that maybe there's a better policy than the original announced ones. Things can change in 5 years and I think most people get that. It's that everything highlighted by the Labour front bench at present is weak pisswater compared to previous pledges, or is brownnosing the tabloid press.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

ok..well...yes....so if keep property and value goes up you pay some tax on that...but if you inherit property and other assets, and those total assets are worth something big, tax the f**k out of it, tax it hard, tax it real good.

unless you sell you've gained nothing for tax to be paid on.

1 minute ago, kaosmark2 said:

Except this is 1/20th of the pledges they've made since Starmer came into power, and of the other 95%, they've backpedalled and reduced their commitment on virtually all of them. It's simultaneously embarrassing and uninspiring

like what?

you mean the pledges that Starmer made when running for leader? Or Labour pledges since he's been in power?

29 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

voting green will enable the tories.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

like what?

you mean the pledges that Starmer made when running for leader? Or Labour pledges since he's been in power?

Labour pledges since he's been in power.

I realise that several of them, particularly related to renationalisation, aren't really possible in the aftermath of Trussonomics. I don't think every single policy reversal/u-turn warrants detailed assessment. I'm mostly saying there's been a huge pattern of Labour's front bench under Starmer (he's not the sole culprit) backtracking on pledges/ideas.

I'm hoping the manifesto will be a bit better, because things said to the press 3-5 years ago shouldn't matter THAT much, but I have little hope that the manifesto will give me any sense of optimism for the coming years.

7 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Except this is 1/20th of the pledges they've made since Starmer came into power, and of the other 95%, they've backpedalled and reduced their commitment on virtually all of them. It's simultaneously embarrassing and uninspiring.

The issue isn't that the £28bn figure mattered, or that when it comes to the costings and details that maybe there's a better policy than the original announced ones. Things can change in 5 years and I think most people get that. It's that everything highlighted by the Labour front bench at present is weak pisswater compared to previous pledges, or is brownnosing the tabloid press.

Labour haven’t backtracked on many of any of those policies at all, they are current Labour policies. The OP asked for differences between the 2 parties and I shared a few of them, you can doubt their ability to fulfil them but they are there.

The £28b figure has mattered a lot here, it’s been the main crux of people’s issue which is a shame because the underlying policies are very good and exactly what we need. 

Also Starmer isn’t in power, Sunak is. 

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

They wouldn’t need to bother with fiscal rules if we had completely impartial media. 

And more importantly democracy might actually work if we had a completely impartial media, who presented facts, not opinion.

12 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

They wouldn’t need to bother with fiscal rules if we had completely impartial media. 

It's not the media that spooks the financial markets but wreckless financial choices.

9 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

And more importantly democracy might actually work if we had a completely impartial media, who presented facts, not opinion.

Would need impartial readers too 😛 😜

15 minutes ago, Neil said:

It's not the media that spooks the financial markets but wreckless financial choices.

Yes of course.

My point is that if the media were impartial then Labour wouldn’t have to try to convince the public they are safe with public money because the media wouldn’t be peddling Tory myths. Labour wouldn’t need to worry about fiscal headroom.

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Equal pay for BAME workers

Ah yes, they pulled this one out of their collective arse just after the decision to conduct internal polling to determine how much damage they’ve done to their BAME vote with their shitness on palestine. Now call me a cynic but..

5 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Ah yes, they pulled this one out of their collective arse just after the decision to conduct internal polling to determine how much damage they’ve done to their BAME vote with their shitness on palestine. Now call me a cynic but..

It could worse they might have been friends with the baby murderers and rapists!

3 hours ago, Neil said:

Hot news from our lizard overlords.

Chief lizard is unwell BBC news reader in full morning gear.

biggest news of the day surely deserves discussion in a news topic. 😛  good job he doesn't have to rely on rishl's failing nhs 

Edited by Neil

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

your apparent glee at someone having cancer says more about you than it does anyone else. 

What your warped brain invents isn't the truth 

i have few cares for our lizard overlords, but do care about the geezer who complains about posts less horrid than his own.

i also think this news topic should embrace all news, rather than go round and round in predjudiced  arguments by the politically ill-informed.

Edited by Neil

Hope his cancer treatment is not going to be the main story..because it could go on and on. We have not been told what sort of cancer, what stage it is at, or where it is. Hope he gets through it ok, quite like King Charles, even if he is monarchy scum and I'm just a brainwashed subject.