news & politics:discussion

zahidf

40 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Along with the clean air zones in cities.

Here's one; pineapples picked in S. America get shipped/flown to The Far East to be processed and packed, then flown to Europe to be consumed and yet my diesel van is the problem.

Your diesel van is kicking up pollution there and then it’s a problem on its own … the other thing is a separate problem . Both need sorting but with different solutions 

12 hours ago, Ozanne said:

As I said I’m not doing whether it happened but the situation now is nothing like 1992 so I’m saying I doubt whether it’ll have the same impact. 

I chuffin hope you are right - cos if the Tories get re elected after this sh*t storm then heaven help us all.

11 hours ago, Neil said:

It's not going to happen until there's hydrogen production facilities all over the world.

and look how fast the human race can do things if it wants to. Japan and Australia are already working on production to enable cargo ships across the pacific and that can easily be ramped up for air transport.

Like everything, if the human race wants to do something, it can and will.

The problem is at the moment it seems to have decided that digging huge holes everywhere to get lithium etc out is a far better way forward.

Oh, and I would be pretty damn confident that the industry is well aware of what is needed and is working on that as well and given the number or articles on that subject it seems they are. It is almost as though the experts know what they are doing.

Edited by Nobody Interesting

10 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Your diesel van is kicking up pollution there and then it’s a problem on its own … the other thing is a separate problem . Both need sorting but with different solutions 

The problem really is simple and can be broken down into two clear elements:

1) There are far too many humans and they all want things
2) Anything and everything the human race does has to make money and not effect our way of life

Consume less, reuse and recycle, stop making single use products and accept that for a while profits will be lower and stuff will cost a bit more - and in a while that will reverse.

12 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Don’t you worry Sir, Sir Keir will save us all. 

That, I am afraid, just does not fill me with any confidence. I have never in all my life wanted to be more wrong but I just don't see much change, and certainly not the very fast change we need,  coming our way even if Labour do win.

From people who know a thing or two about what they talk about.......

""the report calls for "radical decarbonisation" with a fast phase out of fossil fuels without carbon capture.""

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-66753909

If not now, when?
If not us, who?

11 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

That, I am afraid, just does not fill me with any confidence. I have never in all my life wanted to be more wrong but I just don't see much change, and certainly not the very fast change we need,  coming our way even if Labour do win.

Things will get better, Sir Keir will see to that. 

Edited by Ozanne

51 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

and look how fast the human race can do things if it wants to. Japan and Australia are already working on production to enable cargo ships across the pacific and that can easily be ramped up for air transport.

i'm not thinking its impossible, just that the hydrogen needs to be where the planes are, can't see it being transported.and everywhere will need high power solar systems for making the hydrogen.Also people flying around for pleasure doesn't have a society benefit, so society won't be keen to hand over resources to make it happen, when all resource use will need to have a pay-off.

Like everything, if the human race wants to do something, it can and will.

like dealing with climate change in time, not! 😛 

The problem is at the moment it seems to have decided that digging huge holes everywhere to get lithium etc out is a far better way forward.

Oh, and I would be pretty damn confident that the industry is well aware of what is needed and is working on that as well and given the number or articles on that subject it seems they are. It is almost as though the experts know what they are doing.

they're like a child saying they want that. we're trying too hard to carry-on the same path, when that's the path which f**ked the world.

Edited by Neil

theres a story at the guardian of richard osman failing the mi5 test.

telling the world you applied is a huge fail (how do i know that!)., not surprised he failed, too indiscrete.

just cos of the weather i reckon there might be some ( to be said bob marley styleee "burning and looting tonight burning and a looting tonight ".

its the weather for riots, anyone wanna run a sweepstake on where  it'll be?

19 hours ago, Ozanne said:

I think we should limit the amount people can fly in a calendar year. The climate crises is massive and we will have to take big steps at some point. People jetting all round the world might have to rein that in but that’s not gonna be popular. 

I don't drive, I buy local where possible and I'm not going to have any children. Can I still fly?

Edited by Justiceforcedave

On 9/8/2023 at 12:16 PM, Skip997 said:

Kind of agree, although I've seen AI art that does make you stop and think.

The horrible likelihood seems to be that AI will take over the creative jobs and humans will be left to do the soul destroying nonsense.

Absolutely f**ked up how it's going this way round. Automate art and make people work meaningless jobs to be able to exist? Should be automating the sh*t jobs and enabling far more people to create art.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I’m probably similar in a way …  I think we all have different posting styles . From my dms I sent I appreciate some of the efforts people have made to make this thread more pleasant . Discussion has been great the last 24 hours and I’d love to not have to interveen 

As someone who's technically a mod (although I don't do anything except purge spam if I'm not around to see the context), who also used to post regularly here...

Thank you very much for this effort. I'd completely burnt out on even attempting to engage and I really hope this continues.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

maybe not that change you want...but maybe at least something....but if he does do what is required might be really unpopular...i.e. align us to EU rules and we come the dreaded rule takers, increase taxes massively to invest in public services.

There is also the possibility, actually a fairly big possibility, that Trump ends up in the whitehouse, and we will suddenly, along with other european countries, need to spend a lot more on defense because the US won't be there for us to the same extent anymore.

37 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

nah so many hurdles to overcome for that to happen and that's before winning against Biden who won last time can't see it 

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Well we'll see. I'll put a tenner on Trump. I like Biden, but he really is showing his age, and Trump is the news, and people are stupid.

The latest major opinion polls i n the USA.

Read them and be afraid, be very afraid.

image.thumb.png.153d64b6d68c334a743adaa49aee0f8e.png