news & politics:discussion

zahidf

17 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Whoa, I must have touched a nerve.

I just asked why you went back on your word, it’s almost like you saying you were out of here was complete nonsense all for attention.

You’re embarrassing yourself mate, just log off

29 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Just watching 'The Last Leg' at the moment. Never mind the factional arguments on here, just let's have Frankie Boyle as our next PM! 😀

I particularly liked the “it's like we tunnelled our way out of R Kelley's house and emerged in Prince Andrew's basement" analogy.

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Does anyone remember the General news thread where we used have discussions rather than just peoples twitter feeds and bromances 

I was just about to post in that thread Barry about the Dover delays. I must admit I get confused with where we should be. Many threads that would be in the Wibble are now in Glastonbury as well. Guess I miss the old days 😉

11 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

French workers not turning up for work is a French problem. They want their border control on our side so things move clear on theirs. The biggest tourists country and they don't give a flying fuck. 

I believe everyone should make the most of the UK on an environmental standpoint but leaving cars for 6 hours is not clever.

6 hours ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

French workers not turning up for work is a French problem. They want their border control on our side so things move clear on theirs. The biggest tourists country and they don't give a flying fuck. 

I believe everyone should make the most of the UK on an environmental standpoint but leaving cars for 6 hours is not clever.

That’s not the point. The UK brought about this border so we should be the ones that have to deal with the problem. The French wouldn’t have to find additional staff if it was for our act of self harm.

This is on us. 

I don't know what problem is...lots of finger pointing going on at moment. Ultimately more checks are required because of brexit, and the French wanted to carry out these checks on the British side. But this log jam seems to be because not enough of these French border staff to carry out these checks for whatever reason. Things like this can be fixed though, but there isn't much trust and faith in the other at the moment, and that favours both side politically, so it will probably go on and on. Kind of dumb really.

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Why should the French deal with something that’s been entirely our own doing?

because we negotiated a deal with them. They want to do these checks on the UK side. I think it's fair enough that they want to do these checks by the way, we are now out of the EU after all, but if they are going to carry out these checks then they need to provide the staff. I think there needs to be a little bit less finger pointing and blame brexit or blame the french, and a little bit more working together to resolve shit like this.

You only need to look back to Versailles to see that France has a well established history of being petty and spiteful when it comes to diplomacy.

This kind of shit is only going to compound the belief that the continent is the enemy and makes the prospect of rejoining seem very distant.

Edited by mattiloy

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

I don't know what problem is...lots of finger pointing going on at moment. Ultimately more checks are required because of brexit, and the French wanted to carry out these checks on the British side. But this log jam seems to be because not enough of these French border staff to carry out these checks for whatever reason. Things like this can be fixed though, but there isn't much trust and faith in the other at the moment, and that favours both side politically, so it will probably go on and on. Kind of dumb really.

hope you keep the same we've done it to ourselves attitude if your country votes itself indy.

42 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

You only need to look back to Versailles to see that France has a well established history of being petty and spiteful when it comes to diplomacy.

This kind of shit is only going to compound the belief that the continent is the enemy and makes the prospect of rejoining seem very distant.

yeah, I think rejoining is distant anyway, no political party is touching it with a barge pole, only Greens/SNP maybe...infact I kind of wish we'd just move on from brexit and rejoin and all that shite and just work on some sort of future relationship that works best for both sides...and that might mean compromises and some loss of some sort of control here and there, but they're not going away and we have so many close trade/economic/cultural/science/sport/allsortsofstuff links.

One day rejoining might be an option, if EU still exists, but that will likely be decades away.