news & politics:discussion

zahidf

4 hours ago, gary1979666 said:

I'm not sure, there'll be some who are up in arms because it's the tories doing something wrong and those at the other end solidly defending it, but imagine there a fair clump of people in the middle who don't think it's great, but not a deal breaker.  I look back over my lockdown and I didn't follow all the rules.  I did the easy things, like masks at the shops, etc, but I met friends, went on dates, when they weren't in my immediate bubble.  I would think a lot of folk bent the rules to fit their interpretation.

I've voted Tory in the past (not in the last few years), and the partygate scandal doesn't put me off voting for Boris......there's plenty of other reasons not to vote Tory under BoJo instead!

But you didn't make the rules, go on the telly and tell everyone it was really important to follow the rules and then lie in parliament about whether or not you broke the rules.

Like stevie said, it'll lose them a lot of older voters I think.

For me it's less about the parties themselves, more about the attempts at lying and how that all fits in to a wider pattern of behaviour. But then it's not like they've lost me as a voter anyway.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I teared up. He hit every note perfectly.

Johnson's response is to attack Jeremy Corbyn for some reason.

the labour party's eternal shame, and who gave spaffer that line of attack?

37 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

This might be the most powerful 1:44 from the Commons you’ll ever watch.

This might have had more impact if it were not for the fact that Starmer and his party supported these inhuman draconian rules and in fact demanded greater restrictions at times, it's all very well talking about "the forbidden 7th mourner" but at what point did he argue for a more lenient treatment at funerals or the rights of people to see dying relatives? the fact is he was quite happy to support a government that was wildly overreaching their legitimate powers and vote for legislation that denied British people fundamental rights. Boris is a serial liar and he and this government have stolen public money via dodgy contracts etc. and continue to do so, Starmer is a pathetic opposition figure, he is as much an establishment tool as Johnson.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, gizmoman said:

This might have had more impact if it were not for the fact that Starmer and his party supported these inhuman draconian rules and in fact demanded greater restrictions at times, it's all very well talking about "the forbidden 7th mourner" but at what point did he argue for a more lenient treatment at funerals or the rights of people to see dying relatives? the fact is he was quite happy to support a government that was wildly overreaching their legitimate powers and vote for legislation that denied British people fundamental rights. Boris is a serial liar and he and this government have stolen public money via dodgy contracts etc. and continue to do so, Starmer is a pathetic opposition figure, he is as much an establishment tool as Johnson.

missing the point.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, philipsteak said:

But you didn't make the rules, go on the telly and tell everyone it was really important to follow the rules and then lie in parliament about whether or not you broke the rules.

Like stevie said, it'll lose them a lot of older voters I think.

For me it's less about the parties themselves, more about the attempts at lying and how that all fits in to a wider pattern of behaviour. But then it's not like they've lost me as a voter anyway.

This sums up how I feel perfectly. It's one thing to break the rules, but breaking them while making and enforcing them is something else entirely.

Just saw a bit of Starmer's speech and I liked that he pointed to this being part of Johnson's character and way of governing, rather than being a one-off. It's completely on brand for this Tory party.