news & politics:discussion

zahidf

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Someone should tell him the will of the people is to have a general election. 

8 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Your own property that you live in or other properties?

Both. and council rentals are easyish to get for old codgers like me .

6 minutes ago, stuie said:

Someone should tell him the will of the people is to have a general election. 

And to abolish the appointed house of leeches .

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

Ah Mr Left wing actually invests in property lol, very good 

Have to live somewhere and that's paid off handsomely

hottest area in the country for property.

its been earning more than I have and completely tax free .

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

You could argue landlords are leeches couldn’t you 

I could and your mate the left wing banker. And pension salesmen.

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

Have to live somewhere and that's paid off handsomely

hottest area in the country for property.

its been earning more than I have and completely tax free .

Wait so are you a landlord or not? You’re saying conflicting things.

I asked if you just meant the house you live in. 

Edited by fraybentos1

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

Wait so are you a landlord or not?

Depends what you mean by landlord. Don't have to charge rent to make money from property 

You’re saying conflicting things.

I asked if you just meant the house you live in. 

You're asking crap questions and adding your own words to my answers.

I'm being deliberately vague cos I don't want to post the full details of my personal business on the interweb.

27 minutes ago, stuie said:

I guess it varies across the country.  Property purchased in 2004 for £90K now valued at £260K.  Some equity removed for further investments.  Will be my main residence for a certain period before it's ever sold for CG reasons.   Considering initial investment was £20K deposit plus renovations, I don't think stocks would give that ROI. 

Yes depends on the house but also depends on the stock. My house is up a bit from where I bought it in crash of 08 but there are probably people still under water from 2007. On the other hand I bought apple shares that same year when the iphone was released. If your house had kept up with that investment it would be worth £1.8 million.

Edited by lost

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

Depends what you mean by landlord. Don't have to charge rent to make money from property 

You're asking crap questions and adding your own words to my answers.

I'm being deliberately vague cos I don't want to post the full details of my personal business on the interweb.

It’s a simple question : are you a landlord?

Just the normal definition obviously- do you own a property that you don’t live in where someone pays you rent ? Tried to make that as simple as possible for you.

9 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

It’s a simple question : are you a landlord?

Just the normal definition obviously- do you own a property that you don’t live in where someone pays you rent ? Tried to make that as simple as possible for you.

Are you asking just so you can call him a snake? 

18 minutes ago, stuie said:

Are you asking just so you can call him a snake? 

Just doesn’t seem to add up. 

Invest in what you want but if you’re a landlord then you’re not left wing it’s as simple as that .

also Neil just lies all the time. For example this morning about a million pound bid for efests lol 

Just doesn’t seem to add up. 

Invest in what you want but if you’re a landlord then you’re not left wing it’s as simple as that .

also Neil just lies all the time. For example this morning about a million pound bid for efests lol 

Quite a strict definition of left wing if you can't own any assets. I dont see any difference between owning shares and owning property.

17 minutes ago, lazyred said:

Quite a strict definition of left wing if you can't own any assets. I dont see any difference between owning shares and owning property.

I own a mobile phone does that mean I’m not left wing!?

24 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

also anyone can do what they want with their cash but if you’re a landlord you have no business calling yourself left wing. You can’t square that circle im afraid.

Couldn't disagree more but you're entitled to your point of view.  At the point I became 'landlord' I was in negative equity so it was born out of necessity.  Sale of the property wasn't an option.  Now, I provide a home to a previously vulnerable family who escaped domestic abuse at below market rent and it's an investment, not a lucrative business from which I expect an income.  Of course, the property value is now higher and it's part of my investment for my future.  And I'm left leaning. 

Or, maybe, I'm a righty trying to square my circle. 

20 minutes ago, lazyred said:

I guess the diference is you can't make any more land via capitalistic method.

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

Couldn't disagree more but you're entitled to your point of view.  At the point I became 'landlord' I was in negative equity so it was born out of necessity.  Sale of the property wasn't an option.  Now, I provide a home to a previously vulnerable family who escaped domestic abuse at below market rent and it's an investment, not a lucrative business from which I expect an income.  Of course, the property value is now higher and it's part of my investment for my future.  And I'm left leaning. 

Or, maybe, I'm a righty trying to square my circle. 

Of course you can be a landlord and be left wing/leaning, especially when you are using your property in the way you are. It’s a decent thing you are doing.

There might be quite a few landlords are jerks but that doesn’t mean all landlords should be generalised that way. 

59 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

oh, just normal missile firing in that region...not escalating towards WW3 type missile firing...

I'd have thought that Pakistan getting involved in anything automatically escalates towards WW3 sheerly because that'll tempt India into doing something to undermine Pakistan.

33 minutes ago, lazyred said:

Where did I say you can’t own any assets?

I’m drawing a distinction between owning your own house and being a landlord and having someone else pay your mortgage. It’s fairly simple.