news & politics:discussion

zahidf

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Goes to show that the left don't win elections.

Yeah it does, which is why Labour have had to go more to the centre as that’s where traditionally you win elections from in this country. If you look at their policies (nationalisation, green policies, healthcare) then they are centre left but closer to the centre than they were under Corbyn. 

28 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I'd put Starmer next to Blair on that graph

I think he'll end up there when in power hence the comment that I would think Blair would be further to the left when opposition.

I think alot of this is perception of both parties though. If Wes Streetings NHS reforms came from a Tory it would catapult the party to the far right.

Equally if Theresa May's energy price cap had come under labour it would of pushed the party to the left.

Edited by lost

When has the UK ever had a true 'left' government?

Why are people so scared of something they have never really had?

Who gains most from 'left policies?

Who loses most from 'left' policies?

Once you get the right answers to those questions you start to understand why the electorate are 'taught' to fear the 'left'.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I actually quite like some of his policy’s , more so than Starmers … whether he was electable though is a whole different matter that is a never ending discussion in these parts … don’t you mean right ? 

Some of the bast policies we had since the start of Labour party.

Finally we had a political leader with imagination and vision. He was completely stitched up and slandered by the right wing media, presumably under orders from greedy money grabbing industrialists.

Just now, Skip997 said:

Finally we had a political leader with imagination and vision. He was completely stitched up and slandered by the right wing media, presumably under orders from greedy money grabbing industrialists.

He also failed abysmally in 2 elections even against the disaster that was Theresa May, they still couldn't become the largest party. I liked Corbyn and voted for him in both elections and the bulk of his policies were popular but he was viewed as too toxic. He would've done a much better job than Johnson but he also left Labour in their worst position for a century. They couldn't continue as is with just a new face in charge.

Just now, Skip997 said:

I was actually quite enthusiastic about him and yes I went to see him in the pyramid field . Politics might be more interesting once the likes of the hugely influential media dissapear / newspapers although the influence might shift online . The fail and the scum have massively declining readership 

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I liked Corbyn and voted for him in both elections and the bulk of his policies were popular but he was viewed as too toxic.

I've never seen such enthusiasm among the alternative culture for a politician ever.

Pity we're in the minority.

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

I've never seen such enthusiasm among the alternative culture for a politician ever.

Pity we're in the minority.

That enthusiasm was concentrated amongst a small part of the electorate that tends not to vote in very high numbers. It shows you need to build a broad coalition of voters and not just rely on people coming to demos.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

That enthusiasm was concentrated amongst a small part of the electorate that tends not to vote in very high numbers. It shows you need to build a broad coalition of voters and not just rely on people coming to demos.

I encountered a lot of folks who hardly ever/never vote who were rushing to get registered and down the polling station.

Might be interesting to place the posters on this thread where people see them politically left to right , matiloy , nobody , skip , me , cellar , Stevie / fray , neil , Ozanne , Barry . Lost ? 

Edited by Crazyfool01

3 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Might be interesting to place the posters on this thread where people see them politically left to right , matiloy , nobody , skip , me , cellar , Stevie / fray , neil , Ozanne , Barry . 

I'd have a go, but it'd probably end in a riot of denials and insults.

6 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Might be interesting to place the posters on this thread where people see them politically left to right , matiloy , nobody , skip , me , cellar , Stevie / fray , neil , Ozanne , Barry . Lost ? 

I'm clearly the furtherest right as everyone here apparently votes labour all the time.  I've just voted labour for the first time (in a by-election) since Blair invaded Iraq.

27 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

From the Zionist overlords.

1 minute ago, lost said:

I'm clearly the furtherest right as everyone here apparently votes labour all the time.  I've just voted labour for the first time (in a by-election) since Blair invaded Iraq.

Yeah thought that although didn’t have too much in my memory to recall from though 

1 minute ago, lost said:

There's at least 3 further right than you, although they try and pretend otherwise.

26 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

He also failed abysmally in 2 elections even against the disaster that was Theresa May, they still couldn't become the largest party. I liked Corbyn and voted for him in both elections and the bulk of his policies were popular but he was viewed as too toxic. He would've done a much better job than Johnson but he also left Labour in their worst position for a century. They couldn't continue as is with just a new face in charge.

2017 was a lot closer than expected. It wasn't just May being sh*t.

10 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

OK then, cos it's 'fun' - I put me leftist cos I am not even left I am in that weird bottom left of the 4 boxes that refuses to conform to the circle that is left and right (making communism and facism very similar)

me,  matiloy , skip , Crazy, cellar , Stevie / fray, lost ,  Ozanne , neil, Fish

I find 'closet Tories' a fun species.

2 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

OK then, cos it's 'fun' - I put me leftist cos I am not even left I am in that weird bottom left of the 4 boxes that refuses to conform to the circle that is left and right (making communism and facism very similar)

me,  matiloy , skip , Crazy, cellar , Stevie / fray, lost ,  Ozanne , neil, Fish

I find 'closet Tories' a fun species.

f**k off I am more left than crazy. Votes lib dem FFS. Never been more insulted my whole life.