news & politics:discussion

zahidf

6 minutes ago, cellar said:

Raise CGT rate by 2% and you'd have more than 1.3bn to cover the cost.

Also I can't believe that policy came in in 2017, seems much more recent than that in my mind.

CGT should be at the same rate as income tax, as should the tax on dividends. I cannot believe we ever got to a position (although we are not alone) where passive income is taxed at a lower rate than earned income!

7 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

The important statistic is a 1.3 billion spend takes 250k kids out of poverty. If you don’t think that’s a good trade off then you aren’t left wing. 

I don't claim to be left wing (or right wing for that matter), the reason the cap was brought in was the old system rewarded people who had more kids, more kids=more money, the reason it is stlll somewhat popular is that taxpayers don't want to see their taxes funding other peoples otherwise unaffordable large families. I'm sure the cap has unwanted consequences and is far from ideal. As the birth rate is at a historic low, below replacement level, anything that discourages people having kids is probably not wise. Overall I wouldn't mind if they scrapped it but maybe Labour are looking at some middle ground as Ozanne suggests.

27 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

The important statistic is a 1.3 billion spend takes 250k kids out of poverty. If you don’t think that’s a good trade off then you aren’t left wing. 

There of course are other ways to take children out of poverty, maybe Starmer feels other methods are more effective or easier to sell on the doorstep. To me the question is still which party/leader in power will do the most to take children out of poverty. I still have no doubt it’s labour and starmer.

It isn’t some weird competition where you have to prove you are left wing, that sounds like basic college level politics debating right there.

1 hour ago, hodgey123 said:

Which of course is complete tosh and incredibly short-sighted. The reversal of this cap would pay for itself many times over when you consider the proven wider social impact/cost of children being brought up impoverished. Any Tory argument about fiscal irresponsibility could also of course be instantly rebutted by their PPE/Covid record.

Yes of course there’s money to go round as it’s impossible for a country that controls its own currency to run out. The problem is that the Tories along with their client media will latch onto Labour spending plans to claim they are irresponsible and the people will buy it because they always do. This is the same electorate that brought the lies about Brexit and where a decent chunk thought halving inflation meant prices would get cheaper.

Look at what’s happened in 2019, Labour had this good manifesto that got torn apart, remember ‘Broadband Communism’? It didn’t work so Labour are being ultra cautious now.

17 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

CGT should be at the same rate as income tax, as should the tax on dividends. I cannot believe we ever got to a position (although we are not alone) where passive income is taxed at a lower rate than earned income!

Yeah its insane. CGT should be at least 25% I think (although I can accept that's not something to push for a GE, at least not at the moment - oh what a world it would be though if that were a vote winner, eh?)

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It isn’t some weird competition where you have to prove you are left wing, that sounds like basic college level politics debating right there.

Why are you having so much trouble arguing against it then? 😂

(Sorry, you kinda walked into that one).

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yes of course there’s money to go round as it’s impossible for a country that controls its own currency to run out. The problem is that the Tories along with their client media will latch onto Labour spending plans to claim they are irresponsible and the people will buy it because they always do. This is the same electorate that brought the lies about Brexit and where a decent chunk thought halving inflation meant prices would get cheaper.

Look at what’s happened in 2019, Labour had this good manifesto that got torn apart, remember ‘Broadband Communism’? It didn’t work so Labour are being ultra cautious now.

Zimbabwe_88_19259_obv.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

There of course are other ways to take children out of poverty, maybe Starmer feels other methods are more effective or easier to sell on the doorstep. To me the question is still which party/leader in power will do the most to take children out of poverty. I still have no doubt it’s labour and starmer.

There are plenty of policies that Labour have already announced that will help such as breakfast for kids in primary schools. Of course Labour are the best option to try to tackle poverty. 

49 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

there should be CGT on houses, i bought mine for £125k neighbouring houses  currently selling at £500k, great walk-away profits to be had.

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

There are plenty of policies that Labour have already announced that will help such as breakfast for kids in primary schools. Of course Labour are the best option to try to tackle poverty. 

nothing is worth doing unless the two kid cap is removed.

spoke to my bruv earlier, he's currently on a very posh yacht in the med. he says its hot but the engine room is hotter.the billionaire  owners are on board so hes not allowed to dive into the water.

5 minutes ago, Neil said:

there should be CGT on houses, i bought mine for £125k neighbouring houses  currently selling at £500k, great walk-away profits to be had.

There is, only exception is your main residence, yes you could get £500k but you'd be homeless.

5 minutes ago, Neil said:

nothing is worth doing unless the two kid cap is removed.

15 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Wow, child poverty is solved with ‘breakfast for kids in primary school’ brilliant 

22 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

That's means lazy parents have to get off their fat arsed to get the kids to school early.