news & politics:discussion

zahidf

9 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

This is so fucked up. What is even the cost of sending people to Rwanda? Seems so ridiculous.

if non-taxpayers can have an AFRICAN HOLIDAY FROM THE GOVT SHOULDNT TAXPAYERS GET ONE TOO.

41 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

This is so fucked up. What is even the cost of sending people to Rwanda? Seems so ridiculous.

yeah, it is so wrong on so many levels, and probably unworkable...I guess the idea is to put people off, and also a nice bit of red meat for tories and it triggers remainy liberals like me.

On 4/12/2022 at 10:43 PM, Ryan1984 said:

The local elections feel like make or break for them. Expect lots of culture war stuff over the next couple of weeks. I’m sure the BBC and trans people/the ‘woke brigade’ will all come in for a bashing.

Presumably we can add this morning's asylum seeker announcement is part of that. Though feels like a short-term fix and more fines would push that story right back to the top of the agenda.

3 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:
15 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I'm more confused as to what's in this for Rwanda. Especially as at least 2/3 other countries said no.

173 million sweetener

Not just the money. A mate has recently come back from Rwanda doing a story on their Umuganda policy ("coming together in common purpose"), which is a mandatory and countrywide community service for the entire population that takes place on the last Saturday of each month. There's a lot of rebuilding of the country that still needs to be done and because their average age is only 19 they would perhaps be more favourable towards adult refugees (along with the sweetener) than other African countries.

34 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Not just the money. A mate has recently come back from Rwanda doing a story on their Umuganda policy ("coming together in common purpose"), which is a mandatory and countrywide community service for the entire population that takes place on the last Saturday of each month. There's a lot of rebuilding of the country that still needs to be done and because their average age is only 19 they would perhaps be more favourable towards adult refugees (along with the sweetener) than other African countries.

it's like a new slave trade triangle...

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

it's like a new slave trade triangle...

That would only be complete if they started using Ukrainian labour to extract Rwandan resources to be shipped back to the UK. 

I wouldn’t put that idea past this current bunch of incompetents.