news & politics:discussion

zahidf

32 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I work in UK and US tax so the past couple of days have been very familiar to me! Ultimately, for both the non-dom and Green Card stories, nothing has been done illegally or against the rules. If anything, activating a Green Card in the US potentially exposes him to US tax which otherwise would not be payable. It is just a case of whether paying £30k to limit UK tax to UK income only and applying for residency in a different country is appropriate for someone in the role of Chancellor with aspirations to become Prime Minister. The answer is clearly no in both cases.

3 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

I work in UK and US tax so the past couple of days have been very familiar to me! Ultimately, for both the non-dom and Green Card stories, nothing has been done illegally or against the rules. If anything, activating a Green Card in the US potentially exposes him to US tax which otherwise would not be payable. It is just a case of whether paying £30k to limit UK tax to UK income only and applying for residency in a different country is appropriate for someone in the role of Chancellor with aspirations to become Prime Minister. The answer is clearly no in both cases.

looking less and less likely that Sunak will be next PM...

24 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Not as clear as you think for many others. 

"I’m not saying it’s wrong, it’s probably a very defensible position to take." 

“My question would be if it is right that the wife of the Chancellor of the Exchequer should benefit potentially to the tune of tens of millions a year from a rule which the Chancellor is responsible for potentially changing, tightening up or scrapping.”

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/graham-indian-sheffield-university-hm-revenue-and-customs-b993087.html

17 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Not as clear as you think for many others. 

"I’m not saying it’s wrong, it’s probably a very defensible position to take." 

“My question would be if it is right that the wife of the Chancellor of the Exchequer should benefit potentially to the tune of tens of millions a year from a rule which the Chancellor is responsible for potentially changing, tightening up or scrapping.”

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/graham-indian-sheffield-university-hm-revenue-and-customs-b993087.html

Isn't the second paragraph essentially implying that it isn't defensible but just not in as many words?

50 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

also...if he's chancellor of the exchequer....why the fuck does he have a green card anyway?

Edited by steviewevie

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

looking less and less likely that Sunak will be next PM...

Oh I don't know, dishonest, underhand, a proper c**t... I think it puts him in perfect position for that role! 

13 hours ago, Ozanne said:

its nor non doms we need to sort its these trusts used to avoid tax, i'm thinking of going abroad and saving myself my income tax. or even paying my salary into a tax-free saving scheme.