Jump to content

Glasto politics: Non covid news


zahidf
 Share

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Look again, that's not a pint, where's the bottom of the glass? Are his hands really that big? Looks like a photoshop to me, even if it was only a half pint the shape isn't right, the 2 sides are different curves,  I'd guess it was a wine glass in his hand  and they've doctored it to make him seem more "working class",  pathetic I know but that pics not right, reminds me of the boy with no legs!

You may have a point lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

For all its progressive claims Labour seem to have a problem with capable and powerful women.

My wife is spitting feathers at all this.  Lost her vote for sure.  I ain't best pleased either.  Rayner and Nandy are two of their best assets.

Keir is a cretin

Not one of the best assets if Rayner was responsible for the disastrous campaign. Which was part of her job role.

It's starmer shifting the blame. Surprised to see Corbyn supporters having an issue with blame shifting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, eFestivals said:

She doesn't class as one of the UK's more popular politicians for high office?

It wasn't a vote on Corbyn but a vote on a team to lead the country with abbot in a senior position, and she's widely disliked which I'm sure you're aware of.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Don’t believe everything you read on Twitter (not saying you personally) but remember that Saturday where Twitter was rife with rumours that Starmer was resigning? 

bit weird though this one...considering that tweet was from Political Editor at Sunday Times. Maybe he's pissed. Maybe it's a well known rumour in westminster but he's worried he could be in big doodoo for revealing it? Maybe someone hacked his account? Maybe it's fake? It's exciting though. Starmer might get lots of cred like Bojo...nice one my son, get stuck in there lad. etc.

Edited by steviewevie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

too London.

etc.

has to be real northern working class likes the footy and a pint and corrie etc etc

Would highly recommend his book Tribes for anyone that's not read it

He seems to be one of the only figures in the party who writes a convincing narrative on how to actually deal with tribalism in Britain. For example, there's a fantastic and really insightful chapter where he visits Peterborough (he went to school there on a scholarship) and talks to all the people he grew up with about Brexit and why they/the town voted for it. You quickly emphasise with lots of the people he chats to, particularly when you realise they've actually been shafted by austerity rather than the EU. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ryan1984 said:

Closer than anyone would have hoped though. Apparently that Bailey is a properly nasty piece of work.

I agree on both points. The Tory vote was certainly stronger than some of the polling suggested.

As I said earlier, there are some slim positives to see from the election results for Labour in amongst the awful general performance. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The reason I like Lammy is that he can do that fire & brimstone stuff so much better than most of their current big names. Not many come across as passionate as he does whilst also being sharp and erudite. Starmer is clearly very smart, but he doesn’t stir up emotion when he speaks and that’s probably his biggest drawback. Lammy definitely doesn’t have that problem.

Suggesting that making him leader is bad for Labour because the bigots won’t vote for a black man is all the more reason to make him leader IMO. Just him being the leader of the opposition would do the country a huge amount of good. It would quite quickly expose more than a few closet racists amongst the establishment.

Sadly I don’t think it will ever happen. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mimo said:

The reason I like Lammy is that he can do that fire & brimstone stuff so much better than most of their current big names. Not many come across as passionate as he does whilst also being sharp and erudite. Starmer is clearly very smart, but he doesn’t stir up emotion when he speaks and that’s probably his biggest drawback. Lammy definitely doesn’t have that problem.

Suggesting that making him leader is bad for Labour because the bigots won’t vote for a black man is all the more reason to make him leader IMO. Just him being the leader of the opposition would do the country a huge amount of good. It would quite quickly expose more than a few closet racists amongst the establishment.

Sadly I don’t think it will ever happen. 

Yes I agree with this, he is a brilliant public speaker for all the reasons you outline. He has that passion when he speaks which really connects, it was a speech of his in the Commons on Brexit a few years back that got my attention and then a few more this year. It’s also the way he calming deals with people in an argument as well. This clip from a month or so ago shows it really well.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Mimo said:

The reason I like Lammy is that he can do that fire & brimstone stuff so much better than most of their current big names. Not many come across as passionate as he does whilst also being sharp and erudite. Starmer is clearly very smart, but he doesn’t stir up emotion when he speaks and that’s probably his biggest drawback. Lammy definitely doesn’t have that problem.

Suggesting that making him leader is bad for Labour because the bigots won’t vote for a black man is all the more reason to make him leader IMO. Just him being the leader of the opposition would do the country a huge amount of good. It would quite quickly expose more than a few closet racists amongst the establishment.

Sadly I don’t think it will ever happen. 

Labour need to have a leader who has a chance of winning not one who starts with the cards stacked against him that was Corbyn they need to be smart enough not to go round that loop again.i don't think Lanny would lose because he's black but because of the type of black man he is, one who finds fault in white society.thats a bit too much like calling the voters shit...that's not the place to set out a positive vision from.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Labour need to have a leader who has a chance of winning not one who starts with the cards stacked against him that was Corbyn they need to be smart enough not to go round that loop again.i don't think Lanny would lose because he's black but because of the type of black man he is, one who finds fault in white society.thats a bit too much like calling the voters shit...that's not the place to set out a positive vision from.

It’s late and I’m too tired to get into it, but I will just say that I find that to be a hugely problematic statement.

What is the acceptable type of black man in your opinion?

Can you please provide examples of Lammy finding fault in white society (as opposed to British society, which I had assumed includes all of the skin tones)?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Mimo said:

It’s late and I’m too tired to get into it, but I will just say that I find that to be a hugely problematic statement.

What is the acceptable type of black man in your opinion?

Can you please provide examples of Lammy finding fault in white society (as opposed to British society, which I had assumed includes all of the skin tones)?

PeBritish society has many failures on race issues and Lammy rightfully calls them out. people prefer to not have their failures highlighted, it's not the way someone wins the support that a politician is trying to win.

I was attempting to separate that side of things which might cause him to be rejected at the ballot box from rejection of him due to just skincolour. My apologies for any offence in the the wording used in trying to say that I wasn't trying to say theres an acceptable type of black person only the broader idea that some approaches to a issue make a better connection than other approaches.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mcshed said:

It doesn't scream massive mandate for another referendum.

There's a million different angles to the no mandate thing.sturgeon has history herself of dismissing democratic votes as not binding. Which she's in fact doing by claiming she has a mandate for a ref if you join up the dots for how come there's a Scottish parliament in the first place. And also democracy is not merely something which exists to her definition. If it di then a Scottish vote is worth ten times as much as other votes from around the UK.she doesn't do democracy she does self serving bollocks.and imagine the shame on being bettered by gavin Williamson on running education.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share




×
×
  • Create New...