I tested positive for Covid - Share your experience

Monkey Allen

1 minute ago, mikegday said:

This isn’t going to be popular, but it’s where my heads at now and I need to voice it and hopefully have a conversation around it. I can’t understand how this is continuing to spread at the rate it is, if everyone kept 2m away from others then surely it would not spread like this. Those who have caught it, do you feel guilt or responsible for contributing to the spread? Can you pin point when you caught it? I’m working from home so I understand that it’s far easier for me to stay away from people, but I haven’t been in another house since this started - not one single house. Nor have I hugged anyone other than my partner (who I live with) since end of March. 

My dad and step mum are now isolating after contracting it (step mum has never distanced from her family). My (half)sister is now livid because her dad has contracted it and she has been at his house a lot (she too hasn’t been distancing from anyone). She’s now livid that she has to isolate and won’t get paid.

I understand some close contact work and caring commitments mean some will inevitably catch the virus, but surely the numbers we are seeing are also down to people being close to others than they should?

I have kept away from others and I haven’t caught it as far as I’m aware (had antibody test arranged by work couple of months back and was negative). Others I have seen catch it, I also know haven’t been distancing from people. So is it right to be angry and feel like people who catch it without a work/caring reason are reasonable for this mess? When do people dieing as a result of this virus become part the fault of those who are catching it and passing it on?

I might sound like a nutter, but I’m tearing by hair out as to why people are still catching it despite what we know about the need to distance from people.

By the exact same logic, you could say it’s their own fault because they must have gone within 2m of someone?

Absolute loony bin of a post and not one that belongs in a thread where people are posting about becoming sick. I’m out of votes for today, but hopefully you get the appropriate reddies from others. 

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, mikegday said:

This isn’t going to be popular, but it’s where my heads at now and I need to voice it and hopefully have a conversation around it. I can’t understand how this is continuing to spread at the rate it is, if everyone kept 2m away from others then surely it would not spread like this. Those who have caught it, do you feel guilt or reasonable for contributing to the spread? Can you pin point when you caught it? I’m working from home so I understand that it’s far easier for me to stay away from people, but I haven’t been in another house since this started - not one single house. Nor have I hugged anyone other than my partner (who I live with) since end of March. 

My dad and step mum are now isolating after contracting it (step mum has never distanced from her family). My (half)sister is now livid because her dad has contracted it and she has been at his house a lot (she too hasn’t been distancing from anyone). She’s now livid that she has to isolate and won’t get paid.

I understand some close contact work and caring commitments mean some will inevitably catch the virus, but surely the numbers we are seeing are also down to people being close to others than they should?

I have kept away from others and I haven’t caught it as far as I’m aware (had antibody test arranged by work couple of months back and was negative). Others I have seen catch it, I also know haven’t been distancing from people. So is it right to be angry and feel like people who catch it without a work/caring reason are reasonable for this mess? When do people dieing as a result of this virus become part the fault of those who are catching it and passing it on?

I might sound like a nutter, but I’m tearing by hair out as to why people are still catching it despite what we know about the need to distance from people.

I think even those who take every precaution can still get it. Sure some people who have gotten it have been willfully stupid ala Boris and probably are not as deserving of our sympathy as others but if I were you I would try to be as chill as possible about it. You can only be responsible for your own choices. I see on my street people still having family etc around but I'm not living their life and don't know what they are going through so who am I judge. For some people it's easier to not meet friends and family etc. 

2 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

All is well thanks, may have had it in March and like may won't know until we can be tested. So taking no risks as I have Menieres Disease which could be an autoimmune condition. As we live in a coastal tourist area in Cornwall we are still inundated with visitors many of who "came here to get away from Covid"  so face masks and social distancing don't apply to them! With this in mind we are still shielding and having groceries delivered. Hope you are keeping well? 

All ok here minimising contacts as much as possible whilst working in a supermarket!! I too might have had it ... blood sugars massively increased in March and tight chest since and an ongoing minor cough for months ... shielded for months and then went back to work case of having too once payment stopped ... now I back at work and although I’ve got fairly significant safety worries I feel better in myself now than I did whilst locked down the first time .... achieving the right balance and risk assessing everything at least in my head is really weird though ... might need to cut out my gym soon as cases rise and it’s seemingly now lots busier than it first was when I returned 

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

By the exact same logic, you could say it’s their own fault because they must have gone within 2m of someone?

Absolute loony bin of a post and not one that belongs in a thread where people are posting about becoming sick. I’m out of votes for today, but hopefully you get the appropriate reddies from others. 

I hope not and I obviously don’t agree it’s a loony bin post. I’m just trying to sound and speak about what I’m thinking - we’re all going through this together and trying to process it all.

I would agree that those who have sadly passed, unfortunately yes they by my thinking must have caught it so yes, did they put themselves in harms way?  those being cared for etc. Same with caring are completely separate. 

I’d also say I have more understanding for people who caught it initially when things weren’t as known. There’s no doubting now the closer you are to someone, the easier it is transmitted. 

I think social media is the thing getting to me. My partners sister in law contradicted it (wasn’t really following social distance, kept visiting my partners parents despite my partner sticking to his guns to keep distance) anyway when she got it, she visited her own mum, her mum ended up in hospital, at the time she then started posting all over Facebook/Instagram telling people to take it seriously. Her mum thankfully recovered. Partners sister in law is now back to meeting all her mates and posting group photos like nothing has happened.

I find it hard to just look the other way when I keep linking it to the increase in numbers we’re experiencing.

I of course don’t wish this to be insensitive to those feeling unwell, I didn’t know where else to post this. I of course wish every single person on here who is positive recovers fast.

12 minutes ago, mikegday said:

This isn’t going to be popular, but it’s where my heads at now and I need to voice it and hopefully have a conversation around it. I can’t understand how this is continuing to spread at the rate it is, if everyone kept 2m away from others then surely it would not spread like this. Those who have caught it, do you feel guilt or responsible for contributing to the spread? Can you pin point when you caught it? I’m working from home so I understand that it’s far easier for me to stay away from people, but I haven’t been in another house since this started - not one single house. Nor have I hugged anyone other than my partner (who I live with) since end of March. 

I understand some close contact work and caring commitments mean some will inevitably catch the virus, but surely the numbers we are seeing are also down to people being closer to others than they should?

I might sound like a nutter, but I’m tearing my hair out as to why people are still catching it despite what we know about the need to distance from people.

Lots to unpack there.

Some people will absolutely have contracted and passed it on through carelessness or whatever else you want to call it.

But we're also talking about a highly infectious pandemic disease that can spread both by touch and as airborne particles.  None of the measures that we have in place are 100% effective.  The 2m, the masks, the handwashing, all the rest of it, none is 100% effective. Not completely.

Not everyone can work from home. Lots need to go on site to work. Not all employers, colleagues and customers will be doing it properly. So yeah, you're going to have people who have gone to work, taken as many precautions as they can, and still got it.

We've also had a govt telling us to go to the pub and go back to work.   And add in all the rest of the shit they've been up to.

At the same time, I'm in a similar boat.  My main reason for taking so many precautions is that I don't want to to contribute and be a transmission vector, and drag this thing out longer than we need to.

So should people feel guilty if they've knowingly and very clearly broken guidelines for no good reason? Yeah they probably should. But there's a lot of people who'll have caught it through no fault of their own, or from a single momentary lapse like forgetting they can't rub their nose if they haven't washed their hands.  And no, they don;t need the extra weight of guilt.

You sound (understandably) stressed like the rest of us, but there's a lot of reasons why this ain't the best take.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Quark said:

Lots to unpack there.

Some people will absolutely have contracted and passed it on through carelessness or whatever else you want to call it.

But we're also talking about a highly infectious pandemic disease that can spread both by touch and as airborne particles.  None of the measures that we have in place are 100% effective.  The 2m, the masks, the handwashing, all the rest of it, none is 100% effective. Not completely.

Not everyone can work from home. Lots need to go on site to work. Not all employers, colleagues and customers will be doing it properly. So yeah, you're going to have people who have gone to work, taken as many precautions as they can, and still got it.

We've also had a govt telling us to go to the pub and go back to work.   And add in all the rest of the shit they've been up to.

At the same time, I'm in a similar boat.  My main reason for taking so many precautions is that I don't want to to contribute and be a transmission vector, and drag this thing out longer than we need to.

So should people feel guilty if they've knowingly and very clearly broken guidelines for no good reason? Yeah they probably should. But there's a lot of people who'll have caught it through no fault of their own, or from a single momentary lapse like forgetting they can't rub their nose if they haven't washed their hands.  And no, they don;t need the extra weight of guilt.

You sound (understandably) stressed like the rest of us, but there's a lot of reasons why this ain't the best take.

Appreciate the reply. I do get that there’s an certain number of infections inevitable, like you say just because of people’s work scenarios and I do acknowledge I’ve got it easier than most. But I’ve literally had scenarios where I’ve met auntie and uncle out at a park recently and as soon as we get out of the car, my auntie tried to come towards me ready to hug. Why? I obviously had to step back and awkwardly decline. But I’m under the impression that she must do that to everyone and has been throughout. I just can’t get my head around it growing like this all these months in and feel like the numbers we’re seeing arn’t inevitable and can’t be just down to people’s less than favourable work conditions. 

Like I say my sister today is mouthing off at me because she won’t be able to afford rent etc. If she isolates but I’m struggling to sympathise when she’s blatantly done what she wants throughout this. My step mum called me stupid on the summer for refusing to step into their house when I stayed outside their front door, like I say she’s now tested positive. 

People may not need the guilt added onto them when they’re poorly, but we also can’t continue like this either. Surely we need to scrutinitise more why people are passing it on and yes in a way, make people feel responsible for it too! If my sister gets it, she is 100% responsible for not distancing and in my eyes 100% part-responsible for passing it on to anyone she does (as is person contracting it) my sister works in a psychiatric residential/hospital too - which further annoys me for the risks she has taken throughout.

7 minutes ago, mikegday said:

Appreciate the reply. I do get that there’s an certain number of infections inevitable, like you say just because of people’s work scenarios and I do acknowledge I’ve got it easier than most. But I’ve literally had scenarios where I’ve met auntie and uncle out at a park recently and as soon as we get out of the car, my auntie tried to come towards me ready to hug. Why? I obviously had to step back and awkwardly decline. But I’m under the impression that she must do that to everyone and has been throughout. I just can’t get my head around it growing like this all these months in and feel like the numbers we’re seeing arn’t inevitable and can’t be just down to people’s less than favourable work conditions. 

Like I say my sister today is mouthing off at me because she won’t be able to afford rent etc. If she isolates but I’m struggling to sympathise when she’s blatantly done what she wants throughout this. My step mum called me stupid on the summer for refusing to step into their house when I stayed outside their front door, like I say she’s now tested positive. 

People may not need the guilt added onto them when they’re poorly, but we also can’t continue like this either. Surely we need to scrutinitise more why people are passing it on and yes in a way, make people feel responsible for it too! If my sister gets it, she is 100% responsible for not distancing and in my eyes 100% part-responsible for passing it on to anyone she does (as is person contracting it) my sister works in a psychiatric residential/hospital too - which further annoys me for the risks she has taken throughout.

Sounds like your experience is dealing with people that haven't taken it seriously, which I guess is colouring your perspective accordingly.

I saw my brother in Sep for the first time in 6 months. He's been taking it very seriously throughout, and I know he's been doing the right stuff. He didn't try to give me a hug or anything when we met, but when my mrs went to get a photo while were out his immediate reaction was to chuck an arm around me for the photo. And I had to push him off. Horrible. And he was mortified that he'd forgotten himself.

There will be a lot of people making those slips, and that's because we're all having to fundamentally alter the behaviour that we're not just used to, but is a core part of how our society works.

Some people are dicks. I know enough of them myself. But a lot more people will be the ones that have those one or two slips,  and they deserve some slack.

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Sounds like your experience is dealing with people that haven't taken it seriously, which I guess is colouring your perspective accordingly.

I saw my brother in Sep for the first time in 6 months. He's been taking it very seriously throughout, and I know he's been doing the right stuff. He didn't try to give me a hug or anything when we met, but when my mrs went to get a photo while were out his immediate reaction was to chuck an arm around me for the photo. And I had to push him off. Horrible. And he was mortified that he'd forgotten himself.

There will be a lot of people making those slips, and that's because we're all having to fundamentally alter the behaviour that we're not just used to, but is a core part of how our society works.

Some people are dicks. I know enough of them myself. But a lot more people will be the ones that have those one or two slips,  and they deserve some slack.

Fair enough, it definitely is influenced by what the experience of my family/friends. I lost my grandad last year and when I’ve gone to sit in my nans garden through summer one time time she sat there crying about Grandad but I could only try and comfort her through talking - it was incredibly hard but I didn’t risk physically comforting her. So I am angry that I managed to do that but others can’t seem to avoid hugging for a selfie.

I’ll move to a ‘cut slack, but not too much approach ’ because ultimately I do think part of the growth is through carelessness and that in my eyes that is wrong. I’ll wish anyone well and a speedy recovery who tests positive, but I also think those people should be asked to scrutinise why they think they caught it and could they have avoided it? Public figures are testing positive, where’s the scrutiny there? Did they do something careless to catch it? Is that the right message to put out ‘oh silly me, I’ve caught it’ WHY? HOW? People arnt void of all responsibility. I’m horrified by the way this government has mishandled this crisis, but I also stick to my thinking of people do have a duty to think about their role in this too and catching it through carelessness makes those people part responsible.

On 10/29/2020 at 4:15 PM, mikegday said:

I would agree that those who have sadly passed, unfortunately yes they by my thinking must have caught it so yes, did they put themselves in harms way?  those being cared for etc. Same with caring are completely separate.

I’m a teacher working in a school where the Covid measures are at best token, so please, tell me how it’s my fault if I catch it? 
I suppose it is, because I haven’t decided to quit my job, meaning my wife and I can’t pay our mortgage and become homeless. My fault because I choose to go to work in a non-safe environment over living on the streets in winter with my infant daughter? 

Sorry, but your take is a pretty bad one - not the worst, but pretty bad. You need to be able to look outside your own situation and realise complete isolation isn’t as easy for others as it is for you. How do I maintain 2m distance from 33 students in a room which is 50m2? How do retail staff maintain 2m distance when stacking shelves in an aisle which is less than 2m wide? How do medical staff maintain 2m distance when treating patients? 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, blutarsky said:

I’m a teacher working in a school where the Covid measures are at best token, so please, tell me how it’s my fault if I catch it? 
I suppose it is, because I haven’t decided to quit my job, meaning my wife and I can’t pay our mortgage and become homeless. My fault because I choose to go to work in a non-safe environment over living on the streets in winter with my infant daughter? 

Sorry, but your take is a pretty bad one - not the worst, but pretty bad. You need to be able to look outside your own situation and realise complete isolation isn’t as easy for others as it is for you. How do I maintain 2m distance from 33 students in a room which is 50m2? How do retail staff maintain 2m distance when stacking shelves in an aisle which is less than 2m wide? How do medical staff maintain 2m distance when treating patients? 

Unfortunately you decided to totally ignore the part where I’ve acknowledged some people’s work and caring responsibilities means some transmission is inevitable. You catching it is not your fault at all. My thinking was is all of these cases we’re seeing solely from those people? No. Some is from people being careless and it’s those that I can’t get my head around. It’s those that continue the chain on through carelessness that inevitably make it more likely that you, in a job that makes it impossible to distance, will catch it. 

Edited by mikegday

40 minutes ago, mikegday said:

Unfortunately you decided to totally ignore the part where I’ve acknowledged some people’s work and caring responsibilities means some transmission is inevitable. You catching it is not your fault at all. My thinking was is all of these cases we’re seeing solely from those people? No. Some is from people being careless and it’s those that I can’t get my head around. It’s those that continue the chain on through carelessness that inevitably make it more likely that you, in a job that makes it impossible to distance, will catch it. 

In fairness I was posting in the middle of the night while trying to get a baby who doesn’t want to sleep, to sleep, so apologies for missing the nuance 😂 

If people are catching it because they contravene guidelines that is on them, HOWEVER, not all guidelines are crystal clear, so there is an argument it’s not always the fault of the people catching it through contravening guidelines. 

Ultimately blaming other people is what the Tories want us to do, as a scapegoat for their incompetence and cynical manipulation of a pandemic to line their pockets. 

9 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

In fairness I was posting in the middle of the night while trying to get a baby who doesn’t want to sleep, to sleep, so apologies for missing the nuance 😂 

If people are catching it because they contravene guidelines that is on them, HOWEVER, not all guidelines are crystal clear, so there is an argument it’s not always the fault of the people catching it through contravening guidelines. 

Ultimately blaming other people is what the Tories want us to do, as a scapegoat for their incompetence and cynical manipulation of a pandemic to line their pockets. 

I get that and I’ve said in my post the government have made a completely mess (understatement!!). But I do think people know the closer you are to someone the easier it is spread. I think a lot of people are using the mixed messaging as easy way out. I don’t think anyone meeting up, taking selfie’s with their mates, all piling into the same car - that’s not confusing the guidance. Yesterday on my Instagram, ambulance call centre, someone was leaving work so they all had a big group photo. Why? All rammed next to each other hugging for a photo op. It’s proper getting to me why people can’t just keep their distance (when they can)

edit: just to add sorry, but where you’ve said ‘when people catch in because of breach of guidance, that is on them’. That’s the basis of my post, it isn’t really on them is it? There’s no stigma. We just go on ‘oh no, hope you’re ok. Let me know if you need anything’ ... hang on, how about - shit, hope you’re ok, what do you think you bloody did that resulted in you catching it. 

it’s not enough to just let this continue and let people catch it ‘on them’ because it’s not just them. People are dieing and people are continuing to spread it. Why!!

Edited by mikegday

Just been for my Covid test at lunchtime today, felt increasingly worse this week, got cough and there’s a confirmed case in my toddlers nursery where they all lick the same toys 🙂 hoping for a quick result to tell me I’ve just picked up a cold 

10 minutes ago, morph100 said:

Just been for my Covid test at lunchtime today, felt increasingly worse this week, got cough and there’s a confirmed case in my toddlers nursery where they all lick the same toys 🙂 hoping for a quick result to tell me I’ve just picked up a cold 

if you can taste plasticine ... you should be ok ..... good luck