When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

14 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

For the first time through this entire thing I'm considering completely detoxing for a couple of weeks post-19th. The media and socials are going to be a fucking mess and I'm genuinely not sure if I can handle the constant nail-biting, flip flopping, hour-by-hour shitshow any more.

I often wonder what it's like to be someone that isn't plugged into news and endless micro-updates and tweets in the same way a lot of people like most of us are.

Totally agree and I’ve been considering doing the same. I doubt there’s much of a downside from doing that, and huge gains to be had. Unfortunately the rolling nature of lockdowns here means I have to be semi-aware or I’ll end up breaking restrictions I didn’t know were in place, but even then I could get the gist and close the app. On a wider scale, it’s not a credential to know all the unhappy things going on in the world. 

5 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Let's accept the masks and there is some underlying level of risk and ignore the fact there always will be.

If someone wants to propose to me that we continue to do some extra things while we go through this exit wave for lets say 4 to 8 weeks.  That would be fine.

But that isn't what is being said - that isn't what is being proposed.  Take the caller on LBC - she wants perm behaviour changes.  When will the likes of some of the posters here be happy ? and not feel scared ?   When does immunocompromised people stop being at risk and the argument goes away that I have to restrict my life to protect them ?

We have had wait for the vaccine - then just 4 more weeks - and then "freedom day" comes and its still full of restrictions / complaints and fear...

There isn't a propose end game - its just fear and a type of fear that actually will never have an end game unless we actually "fight" against it with hope / education and a big does of come the fuck on! 

A huge amount of it is down to how badly everything has been communicated - most people I speak to outside of here don't have the same grasp of the situation as most on here do. 

The reality is it's going to be more dangerous outside the next few months than it was the last few months - unless your vaccination status changes in the meantime. If there's 100x the level of the virus about, you're 100x more at risk. That's just the way it is. Luckily with a vaccine you're 100x less at risk than without one. 

But we can't not have that, that's where Pagel is wrong, there's no point stopping the spread now, going back into lockdown - it's crazy. We have to let the exit wave wash over us and do what it will... but I can totally get why people's response to that is "yeah, I'll let it wash over others, thanks". It's a somewhat selfish position to be honest if you're not vulnerable... 

So it's a hard thing for people to grasp really. It is genuinely more dangerous than it was a month ago. But we're being told we can do all this extra stuff. It doesn't make sense to people. And the government won't be honest that they're going for herd immunity via infection, mitigated by vaccines so of course it doesn't make sense. They're not being honest about it.

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

100% true...

Masks have become a symbol of protection.

Unmasked person without vaccine = Come on in

Vaccinated person without a mask = Go away

I know which one I would rather be stood next too....

Do you actually know a single person that won't take the vaccine but is in favour of masks because I'm yet to hear from one!

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I was saying that the other day to people, it would be so bad without the vaccines. The Scientists and people involved deserves so much praise for creating them, they have saved so many lives.

I think latest suggestions are the vaccines have prevented 7 million  cases and 30,000 deaths which is absolutely astounding, its a testament to all the scientists involved in designing the vaccines and the incredible NHS for their amazing rollout. They deserve the absolute world when this is over for their dedication and I hope they find even more ways of recognising this 

Disclaimer: I haven’t read 100% of the previous posts!

One area that I’m interested in people’s views on in general is bias and different types of bias. Now there’s been lots of talk of confirmation bias and I understand why but that’s only one of 10s of types of bias at play here.

Take change bias, for example. I believe there’s a decent proportion of the country (people & businesses) that don’t want to unmask on Monday as that’s a positive action. Do nothing is often people’s default position.

When Tesco’s announce they are going to encourage mask wearing in-store, where does that leave their competition?

My concern from passing the onus onto individuals and business are two fold:

1) The average person is a complete moron.

2) If businesses have things working a certain way, they‘ll be reluctant to change.

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Delay what and until when ?  You supporting Pagels stage 2 suggestion ? 

Restrictions are still in place and cases are up.   You can't just delay for a different outcome you would have to go backwards at this point.

2/3 single jabbed...  Best we can hop for in the end is 4/5 double jabbed and then you are into September / October...

You unlock then - cases go up - does it look any better ?  

A delay between infections and deaths … nothing else … that’s still true I believe !!! 

52 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

She actually says go back to step 2, not saying I agree just clarifying her actual comments. 

This is something that people don’t like Ozanne. Lockdown lovers trying to say things aren’t a lockdown when they are almost definitely a lockdown. Any restrictions resembling anything like stage 2 is a lockdown. 

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

This is something that people don’t like Ozanne. Lockdown lovers trying to say things aren’t a lockdown when they are almost definitely a lockdown. Any restrictions resembling anything like stage 2 is a lockdown. 

Possibly, I just clarified her comments as the original interpretation could've been misleading.

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Ah sorry I misunderstood your point.

I have said before that I think opening up at this point is probably right in my opinion … and that’s despite my nerves telling me different I think the mask mandate should have stayed and been stronger all along ( obviously differing on that one ) but it’s all really a big experiment which we are the guinea pigs … someone has to be and hopefully the vaccines do the job they should … I’ll start to get nervy though if deaths hit 200 per day 

7 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

You unlock then - cases go up - does it look any better ?   You can not avoid a exit wave - fact

I guess technically you can? But you'd need to have the exact level of restrictions that allowed a really slow level of growth - like an effective R of 1.01 - Stage 2 is too much as that was pushing cases down. Stage 3 isn't enough as that's seeing cases doubling regularly anyway. But feasibly if you found it and people were willing to put up with it for long enough you could do it... not worth it of course. 

I do think that was the original plan though - if it wasn't for Delta and this summer was like last summer in terms of speed of spread under Stage 3 restrictions, then adding in the vaccine, Stage 4 would probably be exactly that. Which is what I think the government were hoping for.

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Possibly, I just clarified her comments as the original interpretation could've been misleading.

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I know - call it what it is

It’s this incredibly annoying approach that assumes the restrictions are fine and not that disruptive or bad. Just stinks to me of someone who hasn’t seen their life affected at all by restrictions so is happy to have them continue.

Stage 2 restrictions are awful. You could kiss goodbye to Glastonbury ever happening again. Not everyone wants to live in your doomsday 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Matt42 said:

It’s this incredibly annoying approach that assumes the restrictions are fine and not that disruptive or bad. Just stinks to me of someone who hasn’t seen their life affected at all by restrictions so is happy to have them continue.

Stage 2 restrictions are awful. You could kiss goodbye to Glastonbury ever happening again. Not everyone wants to live in your doomsday 

I never said that in fact I even pointed out in my post that I wasn't saying I agreed. All I did was clarify what she actually said as the original post miss-interpreted it.

Hold fire a minute did ozzanne say he wanted to live with those circumstances forever ? 

No-one said that though. They just said stage 2 isn't "lockdown". And that's certainly valid as stage 2 doesn't include the "stay at home" order which is a core part of lockdown - the bit where y'know, you're actually locked down at home other than for a list of specified reasons.

Doesn't mean the stage 2 restrictions aren't heavy and awful. 

55 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

For the first time through this entire thing I'm considering completely detoxing for a couple of weeks post-19th. The media and socials are going to be a fucking mess and I'm genuinely not sure if I can handle the constant nail-biting, flip flopping, hour-by-hour shitshow any more.

I often wonder what it's like to be someone that isn't plugged into news and endless micro-updates and tweets in the same way a lot of people like most of us are.

They're the types who get taken by surprise by restrictions. They're probably happier in general though but it's two big extremes

21 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Thread about govt discussions on whether France should go on red list...beta.

19 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

This is why holidaying in a amber list country is so risky.  

I don't see how they do it.  People just can't do it.  Its too expensive. 

They need to decide in the next couple of days before thousands of families travel.

Boris sounding very reluctant to implement this. Sound familiar? 

I'm sure we'll find that this beta variant doesn't actually evade the vaccines, but the fact its a) been talked about and b) the scientists think it might mean that if this gets let into the country we'll overreact again. And he's going to let it into the country because he doesn't want to piss off a country we've already pissed off consistently for years

Edited by efcfanwirral

The fact he said stage 2 wasn’t a lockdown tells me enough 

Ok I disagree with that … but that’s a completely different thing .. he attends Glastonbury just like you and me … please can you stop making assumptions about what people on the internet actually want ? Maybe just ask what they want instead and see how they respond … I think that’s probably fair … you keep doing it time and time again … 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Ok I disagree with that … but that’s a completely different thing .. he attends Glastonbury just like you and me … please can you stop making assumptions about what people on the internet actually want ? Maybe just ask what they want instead and see how they respond … I think that’s probably fair … you keep doing it time and time again … 

It's alright, I'll say that I don't want another lockdown for many different reasons but there are elements of the pandemic life that I wouldn't mind staying such as app ordering in pubs for example. I don't want us to go back to step 2 but if it's needed then I would understand that and follow those rules accordingly.