2021 Headliners

13 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Swift > Gaga > Grande >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Eilish

Technically according to my point grande is at the front of that order as Swift (n.b), Gaga, Eilish - have all played the festival. This is why I think she’s soon to arrive as I think it’s more likely Glasto will get someone for their first time rather than the second time.

Gaga will definitely do it one day imo. Everything points towards it being great, it's literally a safe bet. First time headliner, huge songs that everybody will at least be familiar with and one of those artists that actually define the word headliner - you just know she'll put on an incredible show.

26 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Swift > Gaga > Grande >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Eilish

What's with the weird Gaga love in here? She's in that weird place between being a nostagia pop act and fresh pick. I don't hate her but she'd not be the most inspired booking either. Are there any hits on her new album? 

1 minute ago, misterplow said:

What's with the weird Gaga love in here? She's in that weird place between being a nostagia pop act and fresh pick. I don't hate her but she'd not be the most inspired booking either. Are there any hits on her new album? 

Stupid Love and Rain on Me were both massive hits.

6 minutes ago, misterplow said:

Aye, some good stuff on the new album.

I'm no pop aficionado, but I think Gaga is great personally. She's got a strong set of pipes on her and when her tracks are good they're really good.  She generally does interesting stuff as well, not just churning out more of the same every time she releases stuff.  

I think it's that combination of trying different stuff and being more than a little out there at times, with having the talent to back it up.

3 minutes ago, misterplow said:

None of them ring a bell. But that's probably just me then.

Its definitely you 😄  They were two massive hits this year - they are everywhere 

The album is full of bangers - a real return to form

9 minutes ago, misterplow said:

None of them ring a bell. But that's probably just me then.

If it makes you feel any better, I haven't heard them either. I'd heard OF them, but only on here. 

Lady Gaga's stuff has just never done anything for me. I know she's massively talented and I can hear that... I just don't enjoy her tunes. 

7 minutes ago, Quark said:

Aye, some good stuff on the new album.

I'm no pop aficionado, but I think Gaga is great personally. She's got a strong set of pipes on her and when her tracks are good they're really good.  She generally does interesting stuff as well, not just churning out more of the same every time she releases stuff.  

I think it's that combination of trying different stuff and being more than a little out there at times, with having the talent to back it up.

I'm not completely against Gaga mind. But for some reason her music never struck me as being exciting. For an artist named Gaga, she's a bit too... decent for me? Her songs are very samey, sound/production wise. And that big song from that movie she's playing in is atrocious and hard to listen to. I can't handle the cheese. 

It's probably a personal thing. I'd have Swift, Grande, Eilish over Gaga any day. 

Edited by misterplow

9 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I think this all just comes down to personal preference. I can’t see how Ariana isn’t a good fit but Taylor is? Unless you’re going to make an argument that Taylor Swift isn’t a good booking either?

Come on Matt, you can't seriously be saying Ariana is on a par with Taylor?  Its not even close.

9 hours ago, Matt42 said:

@PolygonWindow I get that you don’t see her the same level as Adele and Ed Sheeran, but let’s not forget that Adele and Ed Sheeran (whether we like them or not) have careers which have written themselves into the history books and both are probably as big as pop acts get. Whether EFestivals like them or not they will be known as two of the most successful acts of this time. 

Yes if you compare Ariana to them both she will fall short, but if you compare the Killers to Fleetwood Mac the killers fall short. It doesn’t mean that the Killers can’t headline. 

The benchmark for a pop headliner is nowhere near as high as I think some think it to be. Plus - Ariana is highly influential to pop culture and to think she isn’t is a bit short sighted.

I think this all just comes down to personal preference. I can’t see how Ariana isn’t a good fit but Taylor is? Unless you’re going to make an argument that Taylor Swift isn’t a good booking either?

On Ed and Adele, that's why they headlined, for that reason exactly.

Tbf Matt, guitar band headliners at Glastonbury are more widely accepted by joe public than a solo pop artist. It's just the way it is because of years and years of it. You can't really compare it imo.

Comparing her to solo artists - Taylor is bigger mate, her bigger songs have been around for longer and she tops that solo artist category, kind of goes back to what I was saying regarding people getting why she is topping the bill and not putting it down as a 'weird' or 'shit' booking.

Edited by PolygonWindow
typo

2 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Its going to be neither. Options are so bleak - we are defo getting Gorillaz or Chilis 

Possible unpopular opinion but I'd take RHCP any day over Gorillaz again.

But it doesn't matter anyway 'cause I refuse to believe that it's gonna be either.

Just now, misterplow said:

Gorillaz seems lovely though. Time for a rectification.

Chilis ugh. 

If options are slim, I haven't ever seen Gorillaz so a rectified Pyramid set would be great. Chilis with John is better than without John, seeing them would depend on other stages but its the most uninspiring booking ever.

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Possible unpopular opinion but I'd take RHCP any day over Gorillaz again.

But it doesn't matter anyway 'cause I refuse to believe that it's gonna be either.

Who do you reckon the other two will be as you arent favourable towards Billie headlining, nor Gorillaz or RHCP so I reckon that'd be the same about The Strokes then we pretty much have no one unless you truly believe Gaga will do the festival around a month earlier than her dates...

2 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

If options are slim, I haven't ever seen Gorillaz so a rectified Pyramid set would be great. Chilis with John is better than without John, seeing them would depend on other stages but its the most uninspiring booking ever.

John is probably not going to make Kiedis sing any good now is it. And he'll only cause them to play even more overly long, uninsprired jams. 

Saw them a couple of times, never have they been any good. 

They're done... 

Edited by misterplow

Just now, misterplow said:

John is probably not going to make Kidis sing any good now is it. And he'll only cause them to play even more overly long, uninsprired jams. 

Saw them a couple of times, never have they been any good. 

Thats true, like a shitter Foo Fighters. 

1 minute ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Who do you reckon the other two will be as you arent favourable towards Billie headlining, nor Gorillaz or RHCP so I reckon that'd be the same about The Strokes then we pretty much have no one unless you truly believe Gaga will do the festival around a month earlier than her dates...

The 1975, McCartney, and honestly not a fucking clue about the Sunday but think it may prove to be somebody who's not an obvious contender right now (for better or for worse).

But of course I'm going by what I'd generally consider the Glastonbury's headliner booking MO which might be completely thrown out the window for next year considering the predicament they've seemingly been left in, so much like 2019 when we ended up with The Killers because they'd been left with no other option, it may be the case again for next year.

53 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

I thought it was a great set 🤷‍♂️

Yeah they were good, another band that seemingly attracts CalGon’s ire for some reason...

Enjoyed their hour long early evening set but saw them headline Ally Pally a few months later and came away thinking they need to mix things up a little if they’re going to fill 90+ minutes at headliner time. All started to sound the same after a while.