Timing of lineup

Garrett_Salas

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

nowadays it does, times have changed a lot. ;)

A few times I've had a load of efestivals lighters printed, and given them away at festivals including Glastonbury. I've not bothered doing them for years now because the last time I did it i got fed up with how much I got "what would I want a lighter for, i don't smoke" - and probably more at Glasto than other fests.

It’s the only time I actually do smoke these days. Part of my secret life!

27 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

You should get some efestivals-branded Nespresso-compatible pods knocked up. And some avacado peelers. That’s all the millennials spend their dosh on these days, apparently.

I already did some avocado peelers, but cos I live in Easton the delivery man was mugged for them before he could deliver them to my door. :P 

23 hours ago, Garrett_Salas said:

Hey relative newbie here,

Probably been discussed before (apologies!) but wondered if there was a specific reason glasto announced the line-up so late on? I've been going for a few years and one of the frustrations is that - outside of those that announce themselves - you get so little time to check out the bands on the lineup. Most festivals seem to announce around this current time and you get to spend ~6 months giving acts a proper listen before deciding to see them. For glasto it can seem like a big rush to try and listen to bands you don't really know, don't get me wrong - one of my favourite things is discovering a new act by just sticking round a stage but there are also times I've missed bands I turn out to really enjoy later on.

I understand the possibility that there simply is no line-up yet, which begs the question why they seem to do it so much later than others?

I love and hate the slow lineup announcement, the anticipation and speculation are just another part of the overall experience for me. Can be tempting to put two and two together and suspect anyone who's doing a gig anywhere in the UK in late June is gonna be there.. Course some will, some won't.. Saw a fake poster a few weeks ago, quite liked the design of it actually.. at least some of it's bound to be true. Sure there'll be people turning up on the line up that won't have been speculated about at all by then. 

Echoing a few others, suppose there's no need for them to put out the announcement so early on when it's selling out regardless. I've read a few times them saying stuff like they had next year's headliner booked last year. Course there are over 100 stages, the Other stage area is bigger than most other festivals' main stage, even some decent sized festivals where West Holts area is bigger than their main stage. I'd expect that the bulk of the main stages is sorted, maybe with a few irons in the fire. Maybe there are acts they're looking at who aren't even sure of their own availability yet. Generally looking at 10-12 weeks between announcement and festival, @Brave Sir Robin does a Spotify playlist of the lineup that I've enjoyed before. Didn't go last year, but time before there were a couple who stood out to me who I'd not heard until then. Floating Points, Daughter.. didn't get to see either of em though, not actually listened to em since. Gonna change that immediately... But yeah, so much easier to do a bit of homework now. Couldn't fill the gaps like that in 2002, 2003, 2004 when there was no YouTube or Spotify...

Anyway, short answer is it's Glastonbury, they can do what the fuck they like when the fuck they like and we'll love it anyway.

On 12/6/2018 at 11:13 AM, SwedgeAntilles said:

If you're looking for more time to get familiar with the acts in advance of the festival why not follow @Brave Sir Robin Spotify playlist;

Ha, that's a weird photo for it to show. I am neither of those people!

Yep, through a combination of Neil's sources and plenty of sleuthing by folk on here, we know a lot of the acts before they are officially announced. I add anyone ranked as 'To Be Confirmed' or 'Strongly Rumoured' on the eFestivals lineup/rumours page to a Spotify playlist so you can start listening to the acts earlier than the official announcement (in recent years, a TBC is about 97% likely to be announced, a SR 60-70%.)

Looking back at the last time the poster came out, March 2017, I see that year's playlist already featured 41 of the acts that were announced (about half of the poster).

This year's playlist is here.

• Upvote 1