Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

In what way?

When people are arrested in Britain /Ireland newspapers are restrained from publishing material that might prejudice a possible trial. The suspect's reputation is also protected by the law of libel. This is not so much the case in the US due to the 1st amendment...

Bit of a c**t though ey. 

Nah he was a top top defender, that was perfect for era of football he played in. Was fortunate to play with some class acts around him for the majority of his career - Carvalho, Cech, Cole, Makelele etc, but was certainly a driving force. He makes my all time Prem team so must have done something right. 

In other news: I'm so glad that Arsenal had City and Chelsea in the first 2 games this season, because I think we were going to struggle early on no matter who we played, and now this run of friendly fixtures has helped us improve no end - although I'm still not confident we are performing well enough to compete with the top yet. 

12 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Since when did the greatest defenders of all time have to be players who have played domestic British football in the last 20 years?

They don't. But winning everything you play in, whatever league, is a good place to start. No point trying to change people's minds though as I eluded to, he's a divisive individual. 

1 minute ago, jyoung said:

They don't. But winning everything you play in, whatever league, is a good place to start. No point trying to change people's minds though as I eluded to, he's a divisive individual. 

I don't like Lauren Blanc as an individual, but that doesn't stop me rating him as one of the greatest defenders I have ever seen.

One of the greatest defenders I have seen at domestic level was Paul Mcgrath who won hardly anything. Part of getting these large total hauls is being in the right place at the right time. That is definitely true for a defender like John Terry would happened to be at Chelsea when the money came in.

If you are judging purely on trophies (which I am not saying is the best way) then you could make a case for Carvallho or Ferdinand if purely looking at the premiership.  I think looking at how many goals they have scored within a league is a pointless stat as it favours players who never move league, play the most games and go up for set pieces.

To me the statement "greatest of all time" suggests worldwide and I cant put Terry in the group with the likes of Baresi (the greatest I have seen), Blanc, Maldini, Sammer and Canavarro.

5 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Or Nesta. 

Cracking player though Terry. A total c**t mind you but would've got into any team in the world in his prime. 

But yeah

john-terry-crying2_782147c.jpg

Would he have taken the place of Ferdinand or Vidic in the Man Utd team? You could probably make an argument for any 2 of the 3.  I certainly dont think he would have got into the Barcelona team in his prime, he wouldnt have fitted the style and defintely wouldnt have taken the place of Puyol!

Just now, pink_triangle said:

Would he have taken the place of Ferdinand or Vidic in the Man Utd team? You could probably make an argument for any 2 of the 3.  I certainly dont think he would have got into the Barcelona team in his prime, he wouldnt have fitted the style and defintely wouldnt have taken the place of Puyol!

Yeah 3 of them equal enough, all great. He would've got into the Barca team ahead of Pique or Marquez though yeah. 

But no, not Puyol. 

40 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

If Ledley King's knees weren't made of glass Terry wouldn't have got half the England caps he did.

"Would have been the best ever" - if I had a quid for every time my spurs supporting mates have said that in all seriousness, I'd at least have 5 pounds.

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

That’s a awful criteria to go by. 

Top player though, just what he has won is a daft argument. Down the years many average players have won a lot of stuff, likes of Wes Brown spring to mind. 

Edited by thetime

16 minutes ago, thetime said:

That’s a awful criteria to go by. 

Top player though, just what he has won is a daft argument. Down the years many average players have won a lot of stuff, likes of Wes Brown spring to mind. 

Just said it's a place to start. Could go on about all his traits and qualities but the record speaks for itself and everybody knows his involvement. I still think he's one of the greatest and yeah, many of the names mentioned above are also probs up there too. 

14 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Just said it's a place to start. Could go on about all his traits and qualities but the record speaks for itself and everybody knows his involvement. I still think he's one of the greatest and yeah, many of the names mentioned above are also probs up there too. 

Your original post came across to me is that you think he is the greatest and anyone who doesnt probably feels that way because they dont like him. However look at the list of players people have mentioned as the best they have seen and a pretty decent proportion were twats, so I dont think people necessarily think that way. 

3 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Your original post came across to me is that you think he is the greatest and anyone who doesnt probably feels that way because they dont like him. However look at the list of players people have mentioned as the best they have seen and a pretty decent proportion were twats, so I dont think people necessarily think that way. 

Nah just meant there will be the fans who love him and then those who don't but regardless, he's one of the greatest. It was a reflective thought really, not 'people disagree bcos they don't like him'.