All Points East Festival 2019

5 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Ayyy, not your fault. So based on your news and personal thinking who do you believe will fill the remaining slots?

I don't think Christine and the Queens is impossible, btw. Hot act, and the others announced/rumoured so far suggest they're struggling to find acts to some degree. 

BMTH is nailed on. The other rumours may or may not be true.

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I don't think Christine and the Queens is impossible, btw. Hot act, and the others announced/rumoured so far suggest they're struggling to find acts to some degree. 

Pretty sure you're right on christine, I've heard the same. I've heard another headliner that's not yet been mentioned so just waiting for a bit more of a confirmation

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Are we to guess the lack of typical forewarning for an announcement means they're skipping this week's announcement? Doesn't seem like owt's coming.

They've been teasing it on Facebook, made an event for I think the first Sunday with 'announcement soon' written on it. Nothing specific about when of course.

On 11/20/2018 at 8:55 AM, ConorC said:

Big fan of Christine and the Queens and love the new album, but is she not closer in size to some of the West Stage headliners last year (Lorde/Beck) than the main stage headliners?

Was pretty surprised that Christine and the Queens easily sold out our local smallish arena (6,500), but last year Beck played a one off warm up show down here and got downgraded to a 2000 capacity hall which he still didn't sell out.

Maybe says more about the local population than the artists in question though.

On 11/20/2018 at 10:26 AM, eFestivals said:

I'm hearing that Christine and the Queens will headline Sunday 26th.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I think it's a great booking if it's correct.

Someone has to give newer acts a chance instead of always playing it safe - tho I don't think there's huge risks with this.

Agreed, I went to her London show on Tuesday and was in awe, it was like watching a stage show as ambitious as David Byrne's. Although only having 2 albums is quite restrictive, she made the most of it - a brief choreographed interlude to Sicko Mode, for example. The thought of paying £70 to see her so early in her career is a bit odd though.

38 minutes ago, PDAD said:

Yeah, think that would be a great booking. Not as keen on her second album but I only knew 'Tilted' when I saw her at Latitude 2016 and was in awe for pretty much the whole set. 

Has there been any indication on when the next announcements are due? 

Neil thinks they're on their way. I'd guess there will be one next week. 

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I think it's a great booking if it's correct.

Someone has to give newer acts a chance instead of always playing it safe - tho I don't think there's huge risks with this.

Surely at one-day events that are reliant on individual headliners it's a much bigger risk in terms of sales though? Didn't far bigger acts like the XX and LCD not even sell out this year (or if they did it was only just and late on)?

3 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Surely at one-day events that are reliant on individual headliners it's a much bigger risk in terms of sales though? Didn't far bigger acts like the XX and LCD not even sell out this year (or if they did it was only just and late on)?

Yeah the only date which sold out was Nick Cave I believe.

Admittedly, I don't know a massive amount about Christine and the Queens and haven't noticed a possible recent growth explosion following her/their latest album. But I can't help but feel that if the XX, who sold out (I think) 8 shows in Hammersmith, subbed Glastonbury and had a very successful 3rd album, can't sell out with a strong under card in their home city (where they're likely more popular than anywhere else), then this feels very, very ambitious. 

33 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

in which case they probably won't be expecting a sell-out for Christine & Qs either, and the event has been budgeted with that in mind.

I can't see it selling badly, even tho it might not sell out.

13 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

But I can't help but feel that if the XX, who sold out (I think) 8 shows in Hammersmith, subbed Glastonbury and had a very successful 3rd album, can't sell out with a strong under card in their home city (where they're likely more popular than anywhere else), then this feels very, very ambitious. 

That might be the reason it sells well. She only did 2 nights in London and they both sold out fairly quickly so there will be demand for those who couldn't go and all the TV appearances and 5* reviews will help sales. Let alone all those who went who will want to go again.

Compared to The xx who did 8 nights in Brixton and therefore most who would've wanted to go probably did. I'd agree that The xx are bigger than Christine but her 2 shows might go in her favour