Football 17/18

TheGayTent

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

You asked why there was a gap in the fixtures in November. There is always an international weekend in November, if not for qualifiers then friendlies.

Yes - which was my assumption first up. 

However, when I looked I found there aren't any (at least there aren't any announced that I could find - England for example don't have one in the diary). 

Hence the question. 

The answer makes sense, as there isn't a play off for any of the UEFA teams. One assumes England will be organising a friendly but haven't yet? 

Just now, TheGayTent said:

Yes - which was my assumption first up. 

However, when I looked I found there aren't any (at least there aren't any announced that I could find - England for example don't have one in the diary). 

Hence the question. 

The answer makes sense, as there isn't a play off for any of the UEFA teams. One assumes England will be organising a friendly but haven't yet? 

They'll have one lined up, but wait until the qualifying campaign is over (or at least until our qualification is secured) before announcing.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

They'll have one lined up, but wait until the qualifying campaign is over (or at least until our qualification is secured) before announcing.

Good good - I'll go back to hoping Sullivan gets Carvalho done and hasn't merely bid 12.5p spread over 65 years. 

7 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Good good - I'll go back to hoping Sullivan gets Carvalho done and hasn't merely bid 12.5p spread over 65 years. 

We are supposed to have an interest in Carvalho, which would be incredible, but realistically I've got more chance of starting in our midfield from September than him.

starting to look better for Liverpool holding onto Coutinho, as Bara are in for Ousame Dembele from Borussia Dortmund, and while Dortmund turned down the offer the response suggests they'll sell for a higher price.

Meanwhile, the suggestion is that Barca can't afford both so if they get Dembele it looks like Phil might be staying. 

Edited by eFestivals

30 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

starting to look better for Liverpool holding onto Coutinho, as Bara are in for Ousame Dembele from Borussia Dortmund, and while Dortmund turned down the offer the response suggests they'll sell for a higher price.

Meanwhile, the suggestion is that Barca can't afford both so if they get Dembele it looks like Phil might be staying. 

True, but sounds like he will be off next year instead. Emere Can could be off to Liverpool as well

Not sure whats going on at Liverpool transfer wise.Its not as bad as Spurs or Chelsea, but i cant imagine Klopp is happy about the lack of defensive signings

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

True, but sounds like he will be off next year instead. Emere Can could be off to Liverpool as well

Not sure whats going on at Liverpool transfer wise.Its not as bad as Spurs or Chelsea, but i cant imagine Klopp is happy about the lack of defensive signings

Plenty of time for the van Dijk saga to roll on for. If any of those signed him I think it'd make their summer look and awful lot better.

I doubt Can will be leaving Liverpool this summer, they've opted to try and keep hold of all the main squad, and there's already a shortage in midfield.

6 minutes ago, Dan R said:

Plenty of time for the van Dijk saga to roll on for.

Soton are currently saying they're happy for him to rot in the stands.

Which either means they've suddenly decided to play tough and really want to play with the big boys, or they'll cave and flog him for whatever they can get in a bit of a panic at the end of the window.

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Soton are currently saying they're happy for him to rot in the stands.

Which either means they've suddenly decided to play tough and really want to play with the big boys, or they'll cave and flog him for whatever they can get in a bit of a panic at the end of the window.

they said 'rot in the stands rather than sell to liverpool'

Chelsea are apparently interested...

FSG Statement Re Coutinho

We wish to offer clarity as regards our position on a possible transfer of Philippe Coutinho.

The club’s definitive stance is that no offers for Philippe will be considered and he will remain a member of Liverpool Football Club when the summer window closes.

Starting to think even if Coutinho did push for a transfer and Liverpool got £100 mil it wouldn't be a great deal. My first thought was, yeah okay they could invest in a cm and cb, create a strong spine and really cement themselves this year. But based on whats going on in this window, teams will know that Liverpool just received a large sum and if they come knocking, the selling club can just hold them to ransom over stupidly high prices. Could end up losing him and getting nobody decent in, so probs worth sticking if they can? Idk.

They def need a quality CB and CM though. 

3 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Starting to think even if Coutinho did push for a transfer and Liverpool got £100 mil it wouldn't be a great deal.

It wouldn't be dreadful, despite him being difficult to replace for similar money.

There can't be too many players who get sold for 1000% of what they were bought for, and particularly when the profit is £90M.

They've done well in recent years with big profit sales and without having to make huge money signings. Fenway probably think this footie lark is easy. :P