Football 17/18

TheGayTent

Just now, Wooderson said:

I don't blame Phil. LFC are a basket case. 

I don't blame Phil, but basket case? How?

They've got a very decent first-11, and the squad is getting better as long as they don't lose Phil - but even if they do lose him, they've shown the right ambition by moving for Keita.

They're sat better than they have been for a decade.

If Barca come in for a player thats it surely? 

"Fancy playing with Messi, Iniesta and Suarez every week in a team that challenges for the league and Champions League every year for a shitload more money?"

coutinho-miss.jpg?itok=DUDdlWHq 

10 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Also the fiasco of the last 24 hours is typical LFC. Just before the first game. Fantastic stuff. 10/10 lads.

Should've sold him a few weeks ago when there was initial interest. Very rare a player hands in a transfer request and stays and does well. Utd should've flogged Rooney years ago for example. 

Edited by The Nal

33 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

They bid for Mbappe aswell. I just don't accept that "showing ambition" is the same as "being ambitious". They've spent 30m net in 5 windows have they not? Cmon Neil.

but the reason the net spend has been low is because they've got some great cash for some players they've sold - including plenty of always-spare-parts that were going nowhere at the club.

Suarez was at the irreplaceable level, whereas Sterling wasn't. They're a better team now than when Sterling left.

The squad has been thin - particularly last season - and while I'd have thought more needed to come in with the CL this season, the window isn't over yet. Salah is a further upgrade, as should be the left back (forget his name). Oh, there's that kid from Chelsea too, who's meant to be a bit shit-hot and could work out very well.

It'll be a shit for them if Phil goes, but it's one of those things when you have an exceptional player. Even Utd can't always hold off when the Spaniards come calling.

Like any club attempting to climb and firmly establish themselves as CL certainties every season, they need to keep doing what they've been doing, of picking up the occasional not-fully-appreciated player who's about to hit their peak (Suarez, Phil, Firmino, Mane, etc) along with taking the chance on a potentially super-hot kid, and perhaps the odd big-boy cast-off like Milner too.

They're going in the right direction. What might stuff them is that it's suddenly got even hotter in the fight for the top 4, but I reckon they've got at least as good a chance on paper as everyone else. If Costa is off from Chelsea I don't reckon any of them are sure bets.

10 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

I was impressed with the 45 I saw from Solanke aswell.

Just googled him, to see he's the chelsea kid I mentioned. Shows how much attention I paid to the name. :lol:

And i also saw a load on 8-hour-old story headlines of "... is the new Costa". :lol:

But the defense is League of Ireland standard Neil. Brayzil level. Shite.

It has its moments. :lol:

It defo needs sorting. Maybe dik van dyke will be the guy. I'd be happy to see Sakho back cos he made a huge difference for Palace.

Last season tho it was more losing the sharpness in attack for 6 weeks or so around xmas which cost them most. Perhaps the luck of injuries and stuff might work more in their favour this year.

Edited by eFestivals

4 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

He's not consistent enough to be spoken of like that. 

Im not going overboard by saying up to his injury last year he was the best player in the division. Broadly speaking youre spot on here however.

Reckon there are two ways forward on this story:

1. Barca offer whatever price LFC value you player at. I reckon £120m 90% up front gets things going. Leaves on the last day of the window.

2. The player realises he's made a big mistake, signs a new deal in December with a 125m release clause and goes to Barca the day the window opens.

Edited by Wooderson

1 minute ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Lallana and Sick Note (Sturridge) already in sick bay so the luck aint there from the get go

yup, tho it probably matters less at the start of the season than later on.

A full season from Henderson is key I think, as he makes them tick, gives them speed and drive. He's got a way of playing the ball what seems like a split second before other players would do, that gives them an extra cutting edge.

3 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Reckon there are two ways forward on this story:

There's two other possibilities i've been mulling over.

1. Barca lose interest due to Dembele &/or another player. It's not impossible I think, precisely for the inconsistency TGT mentioned.

2. someone works a player merry go round which has Keita go to Liverpool so they're happy-ish for Phil to go to Barca. Someome needs to find Liepzig a player. 

Just now, eFestivals said:

There's two other possibilities i've been mulling over.

1. Barca lose interest due to Dembele &/or another player. It's not impossible I think, precisely for the inconsistency TGT mentioned.

2. someone works a player merry go round which has Keita go to Liverpool so they're happy-ish for Phil to go to Barca. Someome needs to find Liepzig a player. 

The Keita thing isnt stone dead yet but given we've less than 3 weeks before the end of this window I would doubt the clubs have the energy at this stage.

The most straightforward move given FSG's statement is "Button it chief, if they really wanted you they'd have come looking earlier than August. We'll sell you in 9 months. Knuckle down now like Suarez did."

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Suarez wanted to go to Arsenal though. Bit different.

Bit of a twat move from Phil handing a transfer request in the day before the first game. 

Agree on both counts. The player's naevity is astounding however. That he might go for *double* Luis Suarez even more astounding.

6 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I wonder if he has one eye on the World Cup. If he is getting regular game time at Barcelona then it increases his chances of playing a big role in a tournament where you would expect Brazil to be contenders.

Did he not captain Brazil recently