Football 17/18

TheGayTent

2 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Whilst I do think that Raheem Sterling was naive to get the tattoo, he is definitely being victimised. That's not to say other players wouldn't have been too. Just worth pointing out that even Sky Sports News have had a go:

What I will never understand about the English press is why they always seem to do all they can to demoralise their national team before a Euros/World Cup - then have a massive pop at them for getting knocked out. Is it really any wonder?

I'm Welsh, I can hardly talk about massive sporting success however the one thing that stood out during Euro 2016 was the way that the entire nation, including the newspapers, all got behind the team. Seems England could do with the same thing?

adding 'again' is totally out of order and twisting what sterling said 100%

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Perhaps. And if they act the dick, it'll be a story that'll be published.

The point being, it's the acting the dick that's the trigger, same as it is for stories about white players.

Sterling has a hugely greater profile.

Sterling has a history of acting the dick, of which the tat might be regarded as a further one.

Sterling is known to like his bling, his rap, and his drugs, around a particular musical culture - where guns and gang violence fits alongside perfectly.

Etc, etc, etc. 

It's going waaaay too far to use it in that stabbing story you highlighted and yet all of those links are there, nothing to do with his skin colour. 

most of the stuff ive highlighted is him spending his own money, eating brekfast or going to a poundshop. Not sure what he has done thats dickish? maybe a little sleeping around or moving to Man city 3 years ago but aside from that?

well the tat is unfinished. Maybe the finished one will meet with your seal of approval

Is he obssessed with drugs??? ive not heard that before. Thats a pretty big accusation. And i believe his teamates also like rap and whatever you mean by bling...

26 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

What I will never understand about the English press is why they always seem to do all they can to demoralise their national team before a Euros/World Cup - then have a massive pop at them for getting knocked out. Is it really any wonder?

that's pretty much standard UK tabloid for anything - build them up, knock 'em down.

26 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I'm Welsh, I can hardly talk about massive sporting success however the one thing that stood out during Euro 2016 was the way that the entire nation, including the newspapers, all got behind the team. Seems England could do with the same thing?

Tabloids aside, from the fans point of view it's that hopes have been crushed too many times. It's no good talking ourselves up when we know we're just not that good.

27 minutes ago, zahidf said:

most of the stuff ive highlighted is him spending his own money, eating brekfast or going to a poundshop. Not sure what he has done thats dickish? maybe a little sleeping around or moving to Man city 3 years ago but aside from that?

doing NOS and hookahs? Wasn't there a court case about him assaulting someone, too?

And of course the thing that kicked it off, his badly-advised interview when he wanted out of Liverpool. In general terms nothing of what he said was wrong, but those are the sorts of things footballers don't say because it pisses off the tribalists. 

well the tat is unfinished. Maybe the finished one will meet with your seal of approval

why would I approve of a gun tattoo? :blink::lol: 

The fact that it currently looks shit just added to the story.

Is he obssessed with drugs??? ive not heard that before. Thats a pretty big accusation. And i believe his teamates also like rap and whatever you mean by bling...

NOS and hookah pipes might not be the hardest of drugs, but they're still beyond the line a professional sportsman should be crossing. It's not my accusation, it's been all over the papers complete with photos.

Sterling has been tweeting about rap he likes for 5+ years. He does like his bling (not that there's much wrong with that, but it's still bling).

People might join up these real things about Sterling in the wrong ways, but they're still real things about Sterling.

Edited by eFestivals

12 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Wasn't there a court case about him assaulting someone, too?

Has been to court twice for two separate cases of common assault on 2 separate girlfriends. Found not guilty on one because of 'inconsistent evidence' and the accuser didn't turn up to give evidence for the other, so was thrown out. 

11 minutes ago, thetime said:

I gather one of the stipulations would be no tours, only warm weather training. No idea if they can legally do this though. 

If the likes of United and Liverpool want to use the winter break to fly to Hong Kong for a series of highly lucrative friendlies then that's up to them. They just forfeit the right to complain when their players come back more knackered than when the break started.

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

If the likes of United and Liverpool want to use the winter break to fly to Hong Kong for a series of highly lucrative friendlies then that's up to them. They just forfeit the right to complain when their players come back more knackered than when the break started.

well, yeah ... but I'd much rather the season wasn't broken up just so that dripping-with-money-already clubs can be even richer.

17 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

well, yeah ... but I'd much rather the season wasn't broken up just so that dripping-with-money-already clubs can be even richer.

It's good for fans of clubs who aren't so desperate that they'd bugger off to the Far East for a few extra quid.... and let's face facts, the people of China/Singapore/etc don't give two shits about any PL team other than United, Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea. Even City and Spurs don't have the same appeal out there.

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It's good for fans of clubs who aren't so desperate that they'd bugger off to the Far East for a few extra quid.... and let's face facts, the people of China/Singapore/etc don't give two shits about any PL team other than United, Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea. Even City and Spurs don't have the same appeal out there.

Chelsea aren’t even big in London - surely they’re not big in the Far East? 

4 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Chelsea aren’t even big in London - surely they’re not big in the Far East? 

Dunno, they seem to attract pretty big crowd whenever they go over there. Nowhere near United or Liverpool levels, but quite substantial. They became rich and successful just as the PL was going mega over there.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

How about the lower league teams who could be hit by a lower 5th round attendance midweek compared to a weekend?

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

How about the lower league teams who could be hit by a lower 5th round attendance midweek compared to a weekend?

Would they get lower attendances though? Most lower league teams would fill their grounds if they made the 5th round whether it's a Saturday or Tuesday night.

Besides, chances are that any team below the Champ at home in the 5th Round would be televised the way things currently are. They're already playing Friday/Saturday.Monday night or Sunday, would it really make much difference? How many teams would it even effect per season?

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Dunno, they seem to attract pretty big crowd whenever they go over there. Nowhere near United or Liverpool levels, but quite substantial. They became rich and successful just as the PL was going mega over there.

We have a very good following across Asia.

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Would they get lower attendances though? Most lower league teams would fill their grounds if they made the 5th round whether it's a Saturday or Tuesday night.

Besides, chances are that any team below the Champ at home in the 5th Round would be televised the way things currently are. They're already playing Friday/Saturday.Monday night or Sunday, would it really make much difference? How many teams would it even effect per season?

Who I said saying the lower league team would be at home? No doubt in my mind weekend would get bigger attendance than midweek. Midweek also causes some younger fans to miss out. It also opens up further changes in the future such as scrapping replays.

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Who I said saying the lower league team would be at home? No doubt in my mind weekend would get bigger attendance than midweek. Midweek also causes some younger fans to miss out. It also opens up further changes in the future such as scrapping replays.

Given how few lower league teams make it to the 5th round I really don’t see the issue.  By that stage in the competition teams are only two games from Wembley so crowds don’t tend to fluctuate too much, barely any matches at that point are played 3pm Saturday anyway.