2019 festival

20 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Your freelance journalist pal served up a pretty terrible scoop last year - and that what he's told you there seems like nonsense as well - so I get the feeling that you're being lied to for clout.

As we know last year, they chased a lot of loose ends s everything was speculative until they got last resorts KoL and FoB as there back up options. Foos were meant to be a shoe in cause of Glastonbury. This year to save that they are putting a little more money on the table to attract a bit better quality earlier i'd assume. 

But, I don't stand by what my mates says because again who knows which artist/marketing team it came from. But it is a believable thing. 

4 artists headlining mainstage. Popular amongst year 11 leavers. Just like 3/4 last year were PATD, FoB, Kendrick. 

This year it will be a choice of something like ...:

Imagine Dragons - multiple platinum albums, sells out shows, have played festivals before leading up to mainstage, a tonne of singles that are known and enjoyed peaking top 10 in UK and US, stadium rock can put on a show. New album coming out next month so will likely be on the end of an album tour.

Drake - Probably the biggest artist in the world. Every single album he has made in the last 10 years has been number 1 and multiple platinum everywhere, his last album came out 5 months ago and its songs are still all through the chart and probably will be for a year to come.

BMTH - Up coming English rock band that festivals will likely be keen to promote as the next biggest UK band, new album next month. Sells out most of their tour dates, radio are constantly pushing their songs as "amazing" and "so glad they are back, biggest band in the world right now" (both said on radio).

1975 - Another that festival managers will be lookinig to promote as next generation of festival headliners, can put on a good show that keeps fans hooked, a couple of well known hits and Glastonbury are sniffing around them as potential leads. New album coming out soon.

Bastille - A very likeable band, everybody likes them/tolerates them, nobody hates them. Always bring out the 14-19 year olds in droves wherever i see them and in 2017 that was the best crowd atmosphere watching them than anyone else including headliners (not eminem). I hadn't listened to their music before that but that was the most memorable performance of that year (or maybe my most sober!)

21 Pilots - Another band that is loved by those straight edge teens. There music doesn't hit, they feel very one hit wonder-y but their blurryface album is making moves and will continue to do so for another year, new album will likely sell/stream a load despite clearly being out of ideas 2 years ago. Hits the whole American 'skater rap' for the next generation whereas we had RHCP etc, they have this duo.

My prediction based on what been told:

BMTH

Drake

Bastille/21 Pilots (21p top slot)

1975 does Glastonbury instead. J.cole, Post Malone, Chance, BBK, Stormzy - 3 of those will perform high up main stage. Anne Marie or George Ezra will be there too high up. Brockhampton will be 3rd down on one day. Mumford and Sons to do a secret set.

• Downvote 7

2 hours ago, Chad888 said:

As we know last year, they chased a lot of loose ends s everything was speculative until they got last resorts KoL and FoB as there back up options. Foos were meant to be a shoe in cause of Glastonbury. This year to save that they are putting a little more money on the table to attract a bit better quality earlier i'd assume. 

But, I don't stand by what my mates says because again who knows which artist/marketing team it came from. But it is a believable thing. 

4 artists headlining mainstage. Popular amongst year 11 leavers. Just like 3/4 last year were PATD, FoB, Kendrick. 

This year it will be a choice of something like ...:

Imagine Dragons - multiple platinum albums, sells out shows, have played festivals before leading up to mainstage, a tonne of singles that are known and enjoyed peaking top 10 in UK and US, stadium rock can put on a show. New album coming out next month so will likely be on the end of an album tour.

Drake - Probably the biggest artist in the world. Every single album he has made in the last 10 years has been number 1 and multiple platinum everywhere, his last album came out 5 months ago and its songs are still all through the chart and probably will be for a year to come.

BMTH - Up coming English rock band that festivals will likely be keen to promote as the next biggest UK band, new album next month. Sells out most of their tour dates, radio are constantly pushing their songs as "amazing" and "so glad they are back, biggest band in the world right now" (both said on radio).

1975 - Another that festival managers will be lookinig to promote as next generation of festival headliners, can put on a good show that keeps fans hooked, a couple of well known hits and Glastonbury are sniffing around them as potential leads. New album coming out soon.

Bastille - A very likeable band, everybody likes them/tolerates them, nobody hates them. Always bring out the 14-19 year olds in droves wherever i see them and in 2017 that was the best crowd atmosphere watching them than anyone else including headliners (not eminem). I hadn't listened to their music before that but that was the most memorable performance of that year (or maybe my most sober!)

21 Pilots - Another band that is loved by those straight edge teens. There music doesn't hit, they feel very one hit wonder-y but their blurryface album is making moves and will continue to do so for another year, new album will likely sell/stream a load despite clearly being out of ideas 2 years ago. Hits the whole American 'skater rap' for the next generation whereas we had RHCP etc, they have this duo.

My prediction based on what been told:

BMTH

Drake

Bastille/21 Pilots (21p top slot)

1975 does Glastonbury instead. J.cole, Post Malone, Chance, BBK, Stormzy - 3 of those will perform high up main stage. Anne Marie or George Ezra will be there too high up. Brockhampton will be 3rd down on one day. Mumford and Sons to do a secret set.

Nah not really feeling it I'm afraid

Just now, Properbigfan said:

Out of interest any reason why?

Because I feel that R&L should bring in headliners that are not just aimed at a certain age range which seems to be between 16-18. Fair enough that these artists are big and could easily headline, but surely bringing in a classic legendary band like Foos, Green Day, Biffy or someone along those lines would suit a lot of people who are not so interested in Drake, 21P and Bastille. I would be happy to go see artists like Drake and Bastille but to have 4 headliners that are all aimed at the same age group and people would be a disappoint for myself and I'm sure it would be to a lot of other people. As you saw the line up last year was put down a lot compared to previous lineups over the years. 

Basically, what I'm trying to say is a good variety of old bands, new bands, different genres of music would be something I would prefer :) 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, The All Round Ball :| said:

Because I feel that R&L should bring in headliners that are not just aimed at a certain age range which seems to be between 16-18. Fair enough that these artists are big and could easily headline, but surely bringing in a classic legendary band like Foos, Green Day, Biffy or someone along those lines would suit a lot of people who are not so interested in Drake, 21P and Bastille. I would be happy to go see artists like Drake and Bastille but to have 4 headliners that are all aimed at the same age group and people would be a disappoint for myself and I'm sure it would be to a lot of other people. As you saw the line up last year was put down a lot compared to previous lineups over the years. 

Basically, what I'm trying to say is a good variety of old bands, new bands, different genres of music would be something I would prefer :) 

I couldn’t agree more. However last years line up still ‘sold out’. So surely they’d take that in to account when booking acts.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Properbigfan said:

I couldn’t agree more. However last years line up still ‘sold out’. So surely they’d take that in to account when booking acts.

Yeah, good point. Going to be difficult but I feel last years line up was a backup. I reckon they had someone else who dropped out and they had to replace a few people but unfortunately, that's the stuff we don't 100% know. I am hoping they get someone like Foos in though but its a waiting game. Lets just hope the line up will come out a lot sooner than this years one haha

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, The All Round Ball :| said:

Yeah, good point. Going to be difficult but I feel last years line up was a backup. I reckon they had someone else who dropped out and they had to replace a few people but unfortunately, that's the stuff we don't 100% know. I am hoping they get someone like Foos in though but its a waiting game. Lets just hope the line up will come out a lot sooner than this years one haha

Yeah feel like Sunday night needs someone of foo fighters calibre 

6 hours ago, Chad888 said:

I hate them. Annoying as fuck

FooFighters/Nirvana Reunion. Seen online that Dave, Kris and Pat seemed to of played a 20 minute set of nirvana hits with Joan Jett. Not saying Joan Jett would be with the Foo Fighters but another special guest vocalist might come on stage and do a set half way through Foo Fighters set. Could definitely see something like this happening if Foo's do R/L next year. 

6 hours ago, Chad888 said:

Bastille - A very likeable band, everybody likes them/tolerates them, nobody hates them.

As a former super fan I can confirm I'm close to total hatred. 

On another note, R&L posted a survey on social media earlier to find out people's 3 most desired hip-hop acts. The acts to choose from were:
Jay-Z

Stormzy

Nicki Minaj

Giggs

Skepta

Cardi B

Rae Sremmurd

Snoop Dogg

Stefflon Don

Kanye West

J Hus 

Migos

Juice WRLD

Drake

Post Malone

So I'm guessing we'll see a few of them next year. 

Edited by TheWaters

2 minutes ago, stevieg1993 said:

FooFighters/Nirvana Reunion. Seen online that Dave, Kris and Pat seemed to of played a 20 minute set of nirvana hits with Joan Jett. Not saying Joan Jett would be with the Foo Fighters but another special guest vocalist might come on stage and do a set half way through Foo Fighters set. Could definitely see something like this happening if Foo's do R/L next year. 

Great. Can't wait for Lithium featuring Juice WRLD.

Actually now I've thought about it and gone through Foos' recent UK supports; Nirvana covers with Joe Idles, Mike Royal Blood, Ellie Wolf Alice, Frank Frank Carter and Isaac Slaves would make for a memorable, R+L friendly set even if you don't like all of them. They're gonna have to do something to inject some life into it, two years on from such a boring ass album.

2 hours ago, TheWaters said:

As a former super fan I can confirm I'm close to total hatred. 

On another note, R&L posted a survey on social media earlier to find out people's 3 most desired hip-hop acts. The acts to choose from were:
Jay-Z

Stormzy

Nicki Minaj

Giggs

Skepta

Cardi B

Rae Sremmurd

Snoop Dogg

Stefflon Don

Kanye West

J Hus 

Migos

Juice WRLD

Drake

Post Malone

So I'm guessing we'll see a few of them next year. 

Surprising that Kanye and Drake are on there, I would imagine that festival republic would be hesitant to book Kanye following all of his controversy this year and I feel Drake is too big for festivals at this point, and even if he did I could imagine him doing festivals like Coachella and not really R&L. Also I could never imagine Jay-Z being booked as a headliner  for R&L with the younger target audience

31 minutes ago, alf13 said:

Surprising that Kanye and Drake are on there, I would imagine that festival republic would be hesitant to book Kanye following all of his controversy this year and I feel Drake is too big for festivals at this point, and even if he did I could imagine him doing festivals like Coachella and not really R&L. Also I could never imagine Jay-Z being booked as a headliner  for R&L with the younger target audience

These polls are just to gauge the general reception from their audience. At least until recently they still had acts like Tool and Rammstein on their headliner polls who are obviously not gonna headline R&L.

If the likes of Post Malone and Cardi B get way more votes than Kanye then it tells them that their audience are more interested in the new school of hip-hop acts than someone like Kanye West, so it may be a better idea for them to keep booking rock/indie headliners and just get a load of smaller, newer hip-hop acts in rather then going hard for someone like Kanye/Jay-Z and presumably spending a fat wad on them.

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

I voted for Kanye, Jay Z and Stormzy even though I don’t think any of them will be booked for 2019. 

They said they’re putting out indie and rock surveys shortly too so it’ll be interesting to see who they have on those lists. 

I really hope the votes influence it somehow, if we can collectively get enough people from this forum to vote there'll be no Hunna or Sherlocks at the fest lmao.