2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The National will be lucky to be let back on the Pyramid, never mind headline the fucker.

Tbh I think now they've had The National they won't bother. In fairness though it was silly to put them before FF, they should been switched to Other headliner closing opposite Ed with BBK opposite FF probably and alt_j below FF. 

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'd say so, aye.  Playing bigger venues at any rate.  The question is whether or not it's a blip.  And whether or not he can hold a crowd without a hit single to his name.

I use the office test and apply it to the general population. The average office will have a wide range of knowledge and tastes - from hardcore musos to those who only have Heart FM on as they drive to/from work. Whenever I say I'm go to Glasto people's first question is "who's playing?", so I'll rattle off the headliners - Radiohead/Foos/Sheeran, Muse/Adele/Coldplay, etc. I'd say at least 90% of people have at very least heard of those acts, whether or not they like them or can name one of their hits is immaterial. They at least know who they are.

If I said Nick Cave was headlining, I reckon 30-40% of people would have heard of him.

We're back to the eternal question of what Glastonbury see as and want from a headliner. It's fair to say that Mr Cave would have had a better shot at being seen as a headliner pre-'95 or so; headliners are definitely more likely to fit the office test these days.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

"He did the theme tune to Peaky Blinders."

"Oh, him?"

Was just about to say that the closest he has to a hit is probably RRH due to Peaky Blinders. I'd love to see him headline, just not sure I see it right now.

54 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Is Cave any bigger now than when he subbed in 2013? What was the crowd reaction to him that day? Were they into him, or were they just waiting politely for Mumfords?

While he seemingly is more popular now, he got a fairly small crowd in 2013, and plenty of those who did go were complaining about the people around them waiting for Mumfords and ignoring the stage.

Can't see that selling out a day at APE proves anything. Even if he's gained twice as many fans, and has twice as much visibility as he did 5 years ago, booking him as a Pyramid headliner would still be a huge stretch and very likely to end up regarded as one of the all time worst bookings. Can't see it happening under any circumstances. Even if he's booked as a sub or other stage headliner and then a Pyramid headliner cancels I think they'd scramble to get someone - anyone - else.

I think it's very rare for an act to hover in the lower reaches of a lineup (aka anywhere other than headliner) for so long and then suddenly get boosted up to headliner this late on, and I can't think of (m)any acts to have ever done it. Even if Cave is having a bit of a resurgence in popularity at the moment it isn't enough to justify that bump, especially now that Glastonbury targets mega-headliners rather than taking any real chances. When was the last time Glastonbury took any type of real gamble with a headliner?

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

When was the last time Glastonbury took any type of real gamble with a headliner?

Closest equivalent for me (mentioned in the Cave thread) was Arcade Fire. Credible band with a strong fanbase, but would fail yer standard office test.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Closest equivalent for me (mentioned in the Cave thread) was Arcade Fire. Credible band with a strong fanbase, but would fail yer standard office test.

Was going to say Arcade Fire, definitely a name that would have had most of the population scratching their heads.

Just now, Quark said:

But Arcade Fire were still on something of an upward trajectory at the time, albeit at the tail end of it. I feel like they were booked on a 'well they've played everywhere else, Glastonbury should've really bagged them after The Suburbs but I guess better late than never' basis. 

They've noticeably plateaued in the last few years, even dropped back down a bit.

Just now, Quark said:

Still a fairly fresh-faced band who (at the time) looked to be on the up and up, and a proven festival headliner to boot. Also far more sing-along-ey songs than Cave has. I doubt Cave would keep many curious casuals in the field for long.

11 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I think it's very rare for an act to hover in the lower reaches of a lineup (aka anywhere other than headliner) for so long and then suddenly get boosted up to headliner this late on, and I can't think of (m)any acts to have ever done it.

Neil Young’s one. Probably doesn’t have many songs that @Hugh Jass‘ office knows either, depending on their age.

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Neil Young’s one. Probably doesn’t have many songs that @Hugh Jass‘ office knows either, depending on their age.

Yeah he's one of very few, although was that not a little to do with Glastonbury first booking him during his 90's slump? I'm sure if they'd have booked him in the early days he'd have headlined then. Also seem to recall him not being their first choice that year... was it not Oasis?