2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

3 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Chatting shite here tbh Will. They're massive and very much a crossover appeal kind of act. Plus they've got buckets of nostalgia appeal and I reckon there's a lot of people who'd catch them at glasto who wouldn't think about coughing up for their own gig. 

I know they're massive but in my experience they only seen to be massive amongst people into that genre of music, unlike bands like Foos/Arctic Monkeys who are loved by seemingly everyone. To me they're more like a bigger version of Blink-182 in terms of appeal.

I think Muse are probably a better example of what I used RHCP for. I reckon on a sliding scale of rock bands who'd go down well at Glastonbury you've got Foos on top, followed by Muse, followed by RHCP with Green Day slightly behind. RHCP are probably smaller than Green Day but their following seems less confined to purely alt. rock fans.

I really don't feel like I come across many Green Day fans in day to day life whereas I certainly come across fans of the other bands I mentioned.

17 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Nuh uh.  Once you're in you're in and you carry the brand for life.  You can't just suddenly pretend that you don't have a guy called Tre Cool on drums.

The singer is called Billy Joel so I don't think it matters.

16 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'd say that Basket Case and American Idiot are both bigger than Good Riddance, AI in particular was feckin massive when it came out.

They've enough stuff that people are familiar with to pad out a headline set - Basket Case, AI, Good Riddance , Longview, Holiday, When September Ends, When I Come Around, Welcome to Paradise...

Plus they've been on the Simpsons.

Maybe a fair call on Baset Case but I feel like I've definitely heard Good Riddance a hell of a lot more and it's at least bigger now than American Idiot. That song was 'uge at the time though, I don't think they'd have been headlining festivals today without it turning their career around.

5 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Dunno what Longview, When I Come Around or Welcome to Paradise are. Is it possible they were big songs at the time but haven't stood the test of time in terms of popularity?

Foos have Everlong, Best of You, All My Life, My Hero, Learn to Fly, Times Like These, The Pretender; all of which I knew before I was a fan or had listened to any of their albums.

They've stood the test of time at least as much as most of that lot. Maybe you just started getting in to music when Foos were particularly hot.

Edited by dentalplan

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Couple of reasons. They were playing one of their albums that everyone said was great so I stayed for that (it was rubbish and all sounded the same), they hadn't played most of the songs I knew yet, I was near the front with most of my group of friends and no one else was leaving and I couldn't be arsed to fight my way out of the crowd. Plus I was drenched from head to toe and had lost the will to live; think I just stood there hoping the end would hurry up.

Weird that you'd heard that about RHCP. Common opinion on them is that they're awful live, especially on this forum.

Yeah I like the hits on Dookie but I've never understood why it's considered the best album. There are a lot of forgettable tracks. Tbf 2013 would have been the Uno Dos Tre tour, and I'm not gonna defend those albums so there probably was a fair bit of shit in that setlist.

Yeah my mates are big fans though, and one was probably going off their reputation from the 90s or some shit. Dunno. They were awful though.

Dunno what Longview, When I Come Around or Welcome to Paradise are. Is it possible they were big songs at the time but haven't stood the test of time in terms of popularity?

Foos have Everlong, Best of You, All My Life, My Hero, Learn to Fly, Times Like These, The Pretender; all of which I knew before I was a fan or had listened to any of their albums.

I'd be surprised if you put those 3 songs and didn't recognise them tbh. There are other hits that haven't been mentioned like Boulevard Of Broken Dreams, Know Your Enemy, Minority, 21 Guns...They've had 22 top 40 singles which is actually pretty impressive. 1 more than Foos have had.

Just now, dentalplan said:

They've stood the test of time at least as much as most of that lot. Maybe you just started getting in to when Foos were particularly hot.

Getting into what?

I started listening to rock music properly in like 2007 but all of those Foos songs were constantly on the music TV channels I watched (Pretender was new then actually so fair on that one), and I'm sure in general I hear them much more than any Green Day songs. Other than American Idiot none of the Green Day songs being mentioned were played that much.

I just can't see Green Day headlining Glastonbury. Feels so weird to me. They're a very unfashionable band and like I say seem to be much closer to pop-punk culture n whatnot than bands like Foo Fighters and Muse who are just massive bands for normal people who also like Coldplay and Ed Sheeran and don't wear their hair in bright green mohawks and wear fingerless leather gloves.

6 minutes ago, Odessa said:

I'd be surprised if you put those 3 songs and didn't recognise them tbh. There are other hits that haven't been mentioned like Boulevard Of Broken Dreams, Know Your Enemy, Minority, 21 Guns...They've had 22 top 40 singles which is actually pretty impressive. 1 more than Foos have had.

Yeah I know all those ones tbf.

On a separate point, all of these songs mentioned are shite.

Getting into what?

I started listening to rock music properly in like 2007 but all of those Foos songs were constantly on the music TV channels I watched (Pretender was new then actually so fair on that one), and I'm sure in general I hear them much more than any Green Day songs. Other than American Idiot none of the Green Day songs being mentioned were played that much.

I just can't see Green Day headlining Glastonbury. Feels so weird to me. They're a very unfashionable band and like I say seem to be much closer to pop-punk culture n whatnot than bands like Foo Fighters and Muse who are just massive bands for normal people who also like Coldplay and Ed Sheeran and don't wear their hair in bright green mohawks and wear fingerless leather gloves.

That's mad. They're not that at all. Google 'green day crowd' and you'd probably be surprised. They're probably bigger with normal people than Muse, whose fans are freaks let's be honest.

Getting into what?

I flick through the rock music channels semi regularly and they play 90s Green Day stuff all the time, including Longview and When I Come Around. Not that you're gonna bother haha but you'd recognise them if you played them. 

They're way too popular for all their fans to be one kind of person. They're barely smaller than Muse, if at all.

That's mad. They're not that at all. Google 'green day crowd' and you'd probably be surprised. They're probably bigger with normal people than Muse, whose fans are freaks let's be honest.

Might be because Green Day are slightly before my time and so everyone my age who likes them are people who actively sought them out, and so are probably people big into that kinda scene. I can imagine their fans 10 years older than me are normal people tbf.

Actual Muse fans are freaks yeah, but you do get a lot of normal people who know the likes of Uprising, Starlight and Suoermassive Black Hole and would see them at Glasto.

Aye Green Day could definitely headline, just don't think they'll be the first choice if there's other acts available. American Idiot went 7x platinum, it was huge. I was only 7 when it came out but I can remember it getting played everywhere really vividly. Both my dad and brother were really into it and they're probably the furthest from pop punk fans you can get. Especially my dad, don't even think he knows who Blink-182 are.

2 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Might be because Green Day are slightly before my time and so everyone my age who likes them are people who actively sought them out, and so are probably people big into that kinda scene. I can imagine their fans 10 years older than me are normal people tbf.

Actual Muse fans are freaks yeah, but you do get a lot of normal people who know the likes of Uprising, Starlight and Suoermassive Black Hole and would see them at Glasto.

Aren't you the same age as me? American Idiot was a massive album when I was a teenager.

3 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Aye Green Day could definitely headline, just don't think they'll be the first choice if there's other acts available. American Idiot went 7x platinum, it was huge. I was only 7 when it came out but I can remember it getting played everywhere really vividly. Both my dad and brother were really into it and they're probably the furthest from pop punk fans you can get. Especially my dad, don't even think he knows who Blink-182 are.

Yeah I'm 21 too and I definitely didn't have to seek Green Day out. Bullet In A Bible, the live album from 2005, is one of the first albums I can remember buying myself, if not the first. And I wasn't into obscure music when I was 8 haha.

4 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Aren't you the same age as me? American Idiot was a massive album when I was a teenager.

I'm 22, it came out when I was 8.

I remember people wearing American Idiot hoodies and stuff at school but they were all freaks who liked stuff like Linkin Park whilst the normal people were listening to Eminem and The Black Eyed Peas.

Which is why I think all Green Day fans are weirdos with green mohawks and fingerless gloves.

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

I'm 22, it came out when I was 8.

I remember people wearing American Idiot hoodies and stuff at school but they were all freaks who liked stuff like Linkin Park whilst the normal people were listening to Eminem and The Black Eyed Peas.

Which is why I think all Green Day fans are weirdos with green mohawks and fingerless gloves.

As if you have the same mindset about other peoples' music tastes as you had when you were ten. Where is the love?

As if you have the same mindset about other peoples' music tastes as you had when you were ten. Where is the love?

No I think the type of people around me when I was 8 who liked Green Day has become ingrained in my mind and I've subconsciously seen that as their fanbase ever since.