2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 minute ago, the wonderwhy said:

If Arctics can’t play Glasto because the new stuff won’t go down well where the fuck are they gonna play? 

Somewhere that people buy tickets on their name rather than a captive audience of tens of thousands of older, casual fans? Plus it's possible that the band know how tough it is to nail a Glastonbury headline slot and won't feel up to taking this divisive new record on stage at the Pyramid and want to come back with something else. Like, why didn't Radiohead just headline on The King of Limbs tour instead of AMSP?

I'm not trying to say that they 'can't' headline, it's just these seem like very real considerations to me.

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I don't think Coldplay started playing stadiums until after they'd already headlined twice, and when Arctic Monkeys were booked in 2013, I believe that was before they spiked in popularity again. Anyway there just aren't enough headliners to case aside the likes of Florence and the Machine after one go - and, whisper it, but same goes for all yer K bands.

Yeah I guess it's the "too soon" aspect more than anything. If she's still this size 10 years on from last time, go for it. I like to think they should be able to fill the headliner positions without repeating non-stadium acts more than once every decade, although that's a totally arbitrary gap I've just made up haha.

In terms of the K bands, my boys are defo due a return headlining long before Florence is. Kasabian don't need to be asked again for ages if ever. Kings of Leon I guess could be booked if they were struggling for headliners, and it's been ages since they played too so wouldn't feel like an issue in that sense.

12 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Somewhere that people buy tickets on their name rather than a captive audience of tens of thousands of older, casual fans? Plus it's possible that the band know how tough it is to nail a Glastonbury headline slot and won't feel up to taking this divisive new record on stage at the Pyramid and want to come back with something else. Like, why didn't Radiohead just headline on The King of Limbs tour instead of AMSP?

I'm not trying to say that they 'can't' headline, it's just these seem like very real considerations to me.

I think Glasto is the best place for them to play in that regard - it's also full of people that are likely to love the new record. Unlike, say, Reading and Leeds. 

I doubt they're particularly arsed. Wouldn't be playing huge festivals all over the place in that case. 

I think Glasto is the best place for them to play in that regard - it's also full of people that are likely to love the new record. Unlike, say, Reading and Leeds. 

I doubt they're particularly arsed. Wouldn't be playing huge festivals all over the place in that case. 

What makes you think that?

And I suppose you're right about them playing huge festivals on this album. I'm just discussing possibilities though, as this isn't just another album.

9 minutes ago, Paulmcm1998 said:

Is Pearl Jam a possible headliner i know they are touring a bit this year and i believe they are making new music(correct me if I'm wrong)?

They are making new music, you're right. The chances of them headlining have been debated on here for years though - whether they're big enough outside their own devoted fanbase to go across well at this festival is usually the bone of contention.

35 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Yeah I guess it's the "too soon" aspect more than anything. If she's still this size 10 years on from last time, go for it. I like to think they should be able to fill the headliner positions without repeating non-stadium acts more than once every decade, although that's a totally arbitrary gap I've just made up haha.

In terms of the K bands, my boys are defo due a return headlining long before Florence is. Kasabian don't need to be asked again for ages if ever. Kings of Leon I guess could be booked if they were struggling for headliners, and it's been ages since they played too so wouldn't feel like an issue in that sense.

Killers irrelevant and pointless band in 2018. Florence not irrelevant and pointless.

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

What makes you think that?

And I suppose you're right about them playing huge festivals on this album. I'm just discussing possibilities though, as this isn't just another album.

Because its got a much broader demographic? Probably the same with every divisive record init. 

I reckon you'd find a very high correlation between the people on twitter kicking off about R&L not booking them, and the people on twitter kicking off about this album not having 'bangers' 

Because its got a much broader demographic? Probably the same with every divisive record init. 

I reckon you'd find a very high correlation between the people on twitter kicking off about R&L not booking them, and the people on twitter kicking off about this album not having 'bangers' 

I'll ask my flatmate what she thinks of the album.

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

Killers irrelevant and pointless band in 2018. Florence not irrelevant and pointless.

Not gonna argue specifics (I think we're on totally opposite ends of the spectrum on this subject :lol:), but the bottom line is more people in this country would want to see The Killers. And they haven't headlined since 2007. They're a better option in the near future (and probably the long term future).

7 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Not gonna argue specifics (I think we're on totally opposite ends of the spectrum on this subject :lol:), but the bottom line is more people in this country would want to see The Killers. And they haven't headlined since 2007. They're a better option in the near future (and probably the long term future).

I was just goading you really. I think Florence is a better booking than The Killers in general in 2018, but when you consider the length of time since each one last played then yeah The Killers make more sense.

Anyway on the actual topic at hand, I think the reason some people have been predicting Florence back so soon is that her headline slot was a last minute bump up and that maybe they'd want her back when she's in a proper position to headline. But I don't agree and I think she was just as ready then as she is now, and her set was probably no different to what it would have been if she was lined up to headline from the off.

16 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

But the demo only means anything if the older audience of Glastonbury is more likely to like this album. I don't think that's the case at all.

Plus I feel the people on Twitter going "ha ha ha look at the idiots wanting Alex Turner to sing about being a Sheffield teenager, failing to appreciate real art" are probably the types to go to R+L as well. Or I hope they are.

14 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I was just goading you really. I think Florence is a better booking than The Killers in general in 2018, but when you consider the length of time since each one last played then yeah The Killers make more sense.

Anyway on the actual topic at hand, I think the reason some people have been predicting Florence back so soon is that her headline slot was a last minute bump up and that maybe they'd want her back when she's in a proper position to headline. But I don't agree and I think she was just as ready then as she is now, and her set was probably no different to what it would have been if she was lined up to headline from the off.

Beyond personal preference, I'm not sure how she would be a better booking in any sense.  Both acts haven't had a mainstream hit for ages, and both comfortably rack up number 1 albums. The only obvious difference to me that you can look at objectively is that The Killers sell a lot more tickets.

And yeah, especially as Emily Eavis made such a big point about how they didn't need to seek out a replacement when Foos pulled out cos Florence was perfect for it anyway. We all went to the festival knowing Florence was one of the headliners, it definitely counts 100%. I feel bad for anyone who missed Hot Chip's set that night, mind.

51 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Beyond personal preference, I'm not sure how she would be a better booking in any sense.  Both acts haven't had a mainstream hit for ages, and both comfortably rack up number 1 albums. The only obvious difference to me that you can look at objectively is that The Killers sell a lot more tickets.

And yeah, especially as Emily Eavis made such a big point about how they didn't need to seek out a replacement when Foos pulled out cos Florence was perfect for it anyway. We all went to the festival knowing Florence was one of the headliners, it definitely counts 100%. I feel bad for anyone who missed Hot Chip's set that night, mind.

Was Ship To Wreck not pretty big? I don't listen to the radio or anything so idk but I thought it was pretty big.

I didn't see Hot Chip but I woke up on Saturday morning having text everyone saying Super Furry Animals was the best thing I'd ever seen so I assume I enjoyed that.

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Was Ship To Wreck not pretty big? I don't listen to the radio or anything so idk but I thought it was pretty big.

I didn't see Hot Chip but I woke up on Saturday morning having text everyone saying Super Furry Animals was the best thing I'd ever seen so I assume I enjoyed that.

It got to 27 in the chart so I don't even know if that counts as a hit tbh; I leaned towards no. That's the best song of hers I've heard by miles.

Hahaha that's alright then, I don't remember all that much of Hot Chip either other than it was really really great. I saw Super Furries at Y Not that year and it caught me by surprise how good they were.

4 minutes ago, Odessa said:

It got to 27 in the chart so I don't even know if that counts as a hit tbh; I leaned towards no. That's the best song of hers I've heard by miles.

Hahaha that's alright then, I don't remember all that much of Hot Chip either other than it was really really great. I saw Super Furries at Y Not that year and it caught me by surprise how good they were.

I've never liked Hot Chip tbh but I've never properly listened to them, I just remember when Ready For the Floor and Over and Over coming out not liking them, but I had trash music taste back then. Heard Over and Over more recently and liked it a lot more than I remembered. I'll probably check em out properly when they return with a new album or something.

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

I've never liked Hot Chip tbh but I've never properly listened to them, I just remember when Ready For the Floor and Over and Over coming out not liking them, but I had trash music taste back then. Heard Over and Over more recently and liked it a lot more than I remembered. I'll probably check em out properly when they return with a new album or something.

Check them out 100%. The albums those tracks are off are good, but they peaked 2010-2012. Give their album In Our Heads a listen when you get a chance, or just the song Flutes and then you'll defo wanna hear the rest of it. I saw them live again later in 2015 sober and they were sensational that night too.

Btw I listened to that Saba album again and it's sick.

10 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Come on man can you really look through previous Glastonbury Pyramid headliners and think Avicii is someone they'd book?

As I said I think he COULD have been booked, but I am 99% sure that they wouldn't have even asked him

7 hours ago, dentalplan said:

But the demo only means anything if the older audience of Glastonbury is more likely to like this album. I don't think that's the case at all.

Plus I feel the people on Twitter going "ha ha ha look at the idiots wanting Alex Turner to sing about being a Sheffield teenager, failing to appreciate real art" are probably the types to go to R+L as well. Or I hope they are.

For what it's worth, I'm 39 and always felt a little removed from the Arctic Monkeys, like they belonged to a different generation. This album however appealed to me more.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Odessa said:

Check them out 100%. The albums those tracks are off are good, but they peaked 2010-2012. Give their album In Our Heads a listen when you get a chance, or just the song Flutes and then you'll defo wanna hear the rest of it. I saw them live again later in 2015 sober and they were sensational that night too.

Btw I listened to that Saba album again and it's sick.

I think their latest album was the best. Some cracking tunes on there.

Hopefully they'll be back soon, everyone seems to have had chance to make their solo albums.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

it would be a leftfield choice, as I said ... but she'd pull it off no problem.

Would she get the crowd of previous though?, it doesn't essentially matter but you don't want to be the one that doesn't suddenly get a massive crowd....That being said, at Barry Gibb set there was plenty of space. I do however see it being more the slot early that has been said with the likes of Don.

Defo think Flo is too early, I don't see her being one of those to come back earlier than a 6 years point...only really Coldplay get that, not even Muse. 

The Killers although I don't see it happening would be ideal if you like in a year that Glastonbury could use as....everyone wanted 2020 so some things aren't going to be as high as maybe the usual....they still have the hits, but it would still be a struggle to do the gigs they have this year and not play less than headline, subbing to FM would be the perfect choice as at least they can save face that it was a huge one and one the fest have wanted for years.