2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

20 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Still a fairly fresh-faced band who (at the time) looked to be on the up and up, and a proven festival headliner to boot. Also far more sing-along-ey songs than Cave has. I doubt Cave would keep many curious casuals in the field for long.

14 years since they formed and 10 years on from their debut, not really that fresh-faced any more!  Mind you I don't think Cave has ever been fresh faced so that 's not a fair comparison :D

More sing-along songs definitely, but as a poster name or a draw to the stage on the day I still think they're comparable.

22 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

But Arcade Fire were still on something of an upward trajectory at the time, albeit at the tail end of it

Arguable so's Cave at the moment given the sales? 

1 minute ago, Quark said:

14 years since they formed and 10 years on from their debut, not really that fresh-faced any more!  Mind you I don't think Cave has ever been fresh faced so that 's not a fair comparison :D

More sing-along songs definitely, but as a poster name or a draw to the stage on the day I still think they're comparable.

They'd been on the same, pretty much uninterrupted trajectory since their debut though. Cave has bobbed up and down over the years. Same deal with QOTSA, who just feel like one of life's natural eternal sub headliners to me. Also they're shit.

10 minutes ago, Quark said:

Definitely right about the sales.

I don't thnk there's much comparison to Arcade Fire though. They definitely were a burgeoning act that people were really excited about seeing headline Glastonbury after their showing at other spots. If Nick's doing it, it's because he's as old as the hills but recently having a career crowning sales surge.

19 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah he's one of very few, although was that not a little to do with Glastonbury first booking him during his 90's slump? I'm sure if they'd have booked him in the early days he'd have headlined then. Also seem to recall him not being their first choice that year... was it not Oasis?

But nobody says it was a weak booking, do they? People say it was a really strong year in fact. Not because of how many chart hits under Shakey's hat but because of the legacy he has. Nick fits the same bill, to some extent.

3 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

They'd been on the same, pretty much uninterrupted trajectory since their debut though. Cave has bobbed up and down over the years. Same deal with QOTSA, who just feel like one of life's natural eternal sub headliners to me. Also they're shit.

Ne'er has he bobbed as high as selling out Victoria Park, surely?

Edited by dentalplan

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I don't thnk there's much comparison to Arcade Fire though. They definitely were a burgeoning act that people were really excited about seeing headline Glastonbury after their showing at other spots. If Nick's doing it, it's because he's as old as the hills but recently having a career crowning sales surge.

Fair enough, I wasn't at '14 so can't speak for mood on site but from the people I knew who were going and people asking me if I was going that year no-one was mentioning Arcade Fire except to say "who?" or "really?".  Not going to fight to defend my argument just on general principle!

Edited by Quark

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Fair enough, I wasn't at '14 so can't speak for mood on site but from the people I knew who were going and people asking me if I was going that year no-one was mentioning Arcade Fire except to say "who?" or "really?".  Not going to fight to defend my argument just on general principle!

It gives me the creeps how this is seen as the measure of an acceptable headliner though. Like Arcade Fire had done two arena tours, had two no. 1 albums (and two other successful ones) and headlined Reading and Leeds. There's got to be a point where you stop attempting to appease people who clearly aren't that tuned into music.

Just now, Winslow Leach said:

The other thing to mention is that All Points East puts Cave at the head of a very strong lineup that includes several people riding particularly high at the moment. 

Shame?

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Shame?

I've managed to remain largely unaware of Shame, although they do seem to be the new darlings of the sort of people who like to claim bands are the 'saviours of punk'.

I feel like people (especially the sort of people who'll pay to see Nick cave in Victoria Park) are always going to feel very fondly towards Patti Smith, think I'm right in saying St Vincent's last album was her biggest (right?) and even Psychedelic Furs are having something of a popularity spike off the back of Love My Way.

Don't get me wrong Dental I don't want the headliners to be based on that kind of metric either. But with the number of stages now available and the flagship nature of the pyramid (plus BBC coverage) I do think there's more of an element of them using that as a bit of a concession to the mainstream these days.

I mean taking Cave as an example (or insert your equivalent preferred act here) would you rather see them in a half-empty Pyramid field for the kudos of them getting to headline Glastonbury, or on a rammed Other stage with die-hard fans creating an atmosphere a la LCD Soudsystem?

7 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Au contraire, my friend. This setlist looks tailor made for festivals. A greatest hits set (Cave style ofc). 

Not from my POV.  I guess in one sense its good that hes able to draw so heavily from his last two albums, but not a sausage from The Boatman's Call or Henry's Dream or Lyre of Orpheus.

48 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

I've managed to remain largely unaware of Shame, although they do seem to be the new darlings of the sort of people who like to claim bands are the 'saviours of punk'.

I feel like people (especially the sort of people who'll pay to see Nick cave in Victoria Park) are always going to feel very fondly towards Patti Smith, think I'm right in saying St Vincent's last album was her biggest (right?) and even Psychedelic Furs are having something of a popularity spike off the back of Love My Way.

Still fairly niche though. I don't think Nick has been handed a sellout gig by the organisers. Plenty of the other days have stronger undercards. One of which included our friend Lorde

49 minutes ago, Quark said:

Don't get me wrong Dental I don't want the headliners to be based on that kind of metric either. But with the number of stages now available and the flagship nature of the pyramid (plus BBC coverage) I do think there's more of an element of them using that as a bit of a concession to the mainstream these days.

I mean taking Cave as an example (or insert your equivalent preferred act here) would you rather see them in a half-empty Pyramid field for the kudos of them getting to headline Glastonbury, or on a rammed Other stage with die-hard fans creating an atmosphere a la LCD Soudsystem?

Pyramid.

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Still fairly niche though. I don't think Nick has been handed a sellout gig by the organisers. Plenty of the other days have stronger undercards. One of which included our friend Lorde

My point is more that saying that all of those tickets were sold solely off the back of Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds is tenuous at best.

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Do the presents gigs have the same capacity as the festival dates? Would've imagined the festival shows had room for more people in with all the extra stuff on. 

2 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

My point is more that saying that all of those tickets were sold solely off the back of Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds is tenuous at best.

Okay but also 40,000 of the types of people that are likely to go to Glastonbury bought a ticket to see yer man outdoors in London.

He had a pretty well sold arena tour last winter too. Can't remember if it was completely sold out but I think standing for every date shifted on the day. Not bad for a nobody indirectly propped up by Call Me By Your Name. :P

2 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Do the presents gigs have the same capacity as the festival dates? Would've imagined the festival shows had room for more people in with all the extra stuff on. 

I think it would have, yeah. Like they're not gonna sell so many tickets that the field fills up and you're expected to stand at an empty West Arena.

They never actually teased glastonbury in this but it is interesting. I feel with the 1975 they are missing something really world shaking for me to consider them as headliners. While the last album did well I feel like they need something a bit harder hitting. Let’s see how this album goes

http://stagedoor.fm/2018/06/01/the-1975-tease-glastonbury-2019-headline-slot/

17 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

They never actually teased glastonbury in this but it is interesting. I feel with the 1975 they are missing something really world shaking for me to consider them as headliners. While the last album did well I feel like they need something a bit harder hitting. Let’s see how this album goes

http://stagedoor.fm/2018/06/01/the-1975-tease-glastonbury-2019-headline-slot/

It will be worth it just for Russy's reaction when The 1975 headline instead of Nick Cave.