West Holts 2017

Gucci Piggy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

So... Soweto Kinch is all over everywhere at the mo. Likely?

Meanwhile, my own hunch (just a hunch) for headliner is for Damian Marley... keep your eyes open for tour dates that might fit.

If not, we could always set sail with him:

FORT LAUDERDALE, FL, USA

WELCOME TO JAMROCK REGGAE CRUISE

FORT LAUDERDALEFL, USA

Edited by Avalon_Fields

15 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

If not, we could always set sail with him:

FORT LAUDERDALE, FL, USA

FORT LAUDERDALEFL, USA

my missus read me the line-up for that the other day (if it's the same one) - stunning, absolutely stunning. Far too much wonga to be doable for me, tho. :(

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

So... Soweto Kinch is all over everywhere at the mo. Likely?

Meanwhile, my own hunch (just a hunch) for headliner is for Damian Marley... keep your eyes open for tour dates that might fit.

is damian marley big enough to headline? My missus would go nuts if that happened

As would I, but slightly less so

Edited by russycarps

16 minutes ago, russycarps said:

is damian marley big enough to headline? My missus would go nuts if that happened

As would I, but slightly less so

he headlined that stage in 2007 and is in around the same place now, so - price factors aside - i can't see why he wouldn't.

And regarding price, on the basis of something said to me not too long ago (tho cant remember when exactly), I'm of the belief that he'd still do it for a price that stage could stretch to.

That 2007 show was a proper Marley brothers thing too, with Stephen and Julian involved too. Stephen played his own show the next night in the Roots Tent, and then a Marley Brothers 'Exodus' special on the Pyramid on the Sunday.

(there was also Flagwaver Marley on stage with them too, the musically-untalented black sheep of the family :P)

27 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

he headlined that stage in 2007 and is in around the same place now, so - price factors aside - i can't see why he wouldn't.

And regarding price, on the basis of something said to me not too long ago (tho cant remember when exactly), I'm of the belief that he'd still do it for a price that stage could stretch to.

That 2007 show was a proper Marley brothers thing too, with Stephen and Julian involved too. Stephen played his own show the next night in the Roots Tent, and then a Marley Brothers 'Exodus' special on the Pyramid on the Sunday.

(there was also Flagwaver Marley on stage with them too, the musically-untalented black sheep of the family :P)

blimey, didnt realise he'd headlined in 2007. I just checked and I was at bjork it seems. I did see the exodus thing.

fingers crossed he gets the saturday slot. That would be absolutely perfect for me

21 minutes ago, your mother said:

Someone mentioned David Byrne... could that happen? Would be amazing!

What kind of set would he play? Would have loved to have seen him touring the William Onyeabor stuff so a couple of those dropped in would be great

I think it's fair to say that West Holts would have David Byrne again if it could be done, tho I've no idea if he might be out of their budget nowadays.

I'd guess a next tour would be for his own stuff as it's been a while, hopefully with a big slab of TH classics thrown in,

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I think it's fair to say that West Holts would have David Byrne again if it could be done, tho I've no idea if he might be out of their budget nowadays.

I'd guess a next tour would be for his own stuff as it's been a while, hopefully with a big slab of TH classics thrown in,

That would be great, but I honestly wouldn't mind if he brought his atomic bomb band along with him and did an early evening slot on WH. 

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

When did he last play and in what form? (sorry tried to Google but couldn't see anything)

7 minutes ago, BlackHole2006 said:

That would be great, but I honestly wouldn't mind if he brought his atomic bomb band along with him and did an early evening slot on WH. 

Yeah would be so good although I feel that ship has sailed.

Just now, your mother said:

When did he last play and in what form? (sorry tried to Google but couldn't see anything)

97 or 98 (98, i think), on the Feelings tour. The set was a fair bit from that album, but also included a raved up version of 'I Zimbra' (there's a version of that on youtube, tho not from glasto), and him in a bodysuit of peeled-back-skin at the end for Psycho Killer, but where the sound was fucking up due to the weather (he was clearly annoyed).

I saw him twice previously on the same tour, and both of those I thought were better than that Glasto show.

Can you tell I'm a bit of a fan? :D

Just now, eFestivals said:

97 or 98 (98, i think), on the Feelings tour. The set was a fair bit from that album, but also included a raved up version of 'I Zimbra' (there's a version of that on youtube, tho not from glasto), and him in a bodysuit of peeled-back-skin at the end for Psycho Killer, but where the sound was fucking up due to the weather (he was clearly annoyed).

I saw him twice previously on the same tour, and both of those I thought were better than that Glasto show.

Can you tell I'm a bit of a fan? :D

If I had a suspicion before its been confirmed now! He's certainly due an appearance then! 

I'll seek that out, never really listened to any of his solo stuff. Dare I ask where to start?

1 minute ago, your mother said:

I'll seek that out, never really listened to any of his solo stuff. Dare I ask where to start?

For me, the best he's done outside of Talking Heads is 'my life in the bush of ghosts' with Brian Eno. The other one with eno is quite listenable and has grown on me, but isn't comparable.

My fav of his own stuff is '(music from) The Catherine Wheel'. 'Feelings' and 'Look into the Eyeball' I both like, tho that might be because I've given them a bigger go than I have much of his other stuff.

For an oddity - I like it a lot tho - '(music from) The Knee Plays' is different but interesting.

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

For me, the best he's done outside of Talking Heads is 'my life in the bush of ghosts' with Brian Eno. The other one with eno is quite listenable and has grown on me, but isn't comparable.

My fav of his own stuff is '(music from) The Catherine Wheel'. 'Feelings' and 'Look into the Eyeball' I both like, tho that might be because I've given them a bigger go than I have much of his other stuff.

For an oddity - I like it a lot tho - '(music from) The Knee Plays' is different but interesting.

Thanks I'll give them a go!