West Holts 2017

Gucci Piggy

Well, I had next to no idea who The Cinematic Orchestra were two days ago but after listening to a few of their tracks out of curiosity, I've listened to nothing but them in the last 48 hours

I was already planning on a moderat-justice double whammy to finish the fest but now made it a triple adding them before

I'll say it once again, the WH line up this year is stunning! I'd pay my entrance fee for that line up alone :)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hot 8 Brass Band & Justice are my only 2 to definitely see on WH.

Avalanches clash with someone so Ill miss them & I might see the Jacksons.

Is there anything I should be seeing that Im missing? 

Preferably early on in the day? 

Edit: Anderson.Paak vs Future Islands vs Sophie Ellis Bextor is a clash Im gunna see what happens on the day.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

4 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

good stuff on WH early in the day all weekend for me:

Friday - Henry Wu Presents The Kamaal Williams Ensemble which is the live name for Yussef Kamaal. Incredibly rhythmic and jazzy, fantastic live too.

Saturday - Khruangbin. Good band who mix aspects of pyschedlic with kinda surfer/stoner rock and funk.

Sunday - Ryley Walker. Bit of an odd one for WH in my opinion. Indie singer/songwriter with aspects of blues and psychedelic rock at times. Nice early afternoon stuff.

4 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Edit: Anderson.Paak vs Future Islands vs Sophie Ellis Bextor is a clash Im gunna see what happens on the day.

+ 1 for Kamaal. I would also recommend BadBadNotGood, one of my most anticipated acts this year, and on late Sat afternoon. Not sure how to embed things, but "time moves slow" has your man from Future Islands on it so could be a nice place to start.

Am really  looking forward to hearing Ryley Walker on a blissed out Sunday, he's like the reincarnation of Tim Buckley and John Martyn.. 

Sunday won't be moving far from West holts with him, Cinematic orchestra/moderat/ justice.

Are the Moderatt dudes a significantly better live proposition than they are on record?

I've listened to every album this weekend and it all seems a bit anonymous and yer man sounds like Semisonic. But everyone keeps saying how much they complement Justice and everything on a main stage at the same time is terminal so I'm probably willing to chance it.

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Are the Moderatt dudes a significantly better live proposition than they are on record?

I've listened to every album this weekend and it all seems a bit anonymous and yer man sounds like Semisonic. But everyone keeps saying how much they complement Justice and everything on a main stage at the same time is terminal so I'm probably willing to chance it.

Live footage from Youtube seems to suggest they are. I know what you mean about the vocals, I much prefer their instrumental stuff. Missed a meeting at work today because I got engrossed in this

Then I lied and said I missed it because I had the shits, and now I do have the shits. Kharma that

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I saw them at Field Day last Saturday and can confirm that they are much better live than on record. They were amazing actually, probably one of the best if not the best act of the day! They really build an atmosphere by extending the tracks and making them build and build. They are also much more electronic live if you like that kind of thing- quite techno-y! they incorporate remixes in the set as well- 100% recommend

Edited by joeh

39 minutes ago, joeh said:

I saw them at Field Day last Saturday and can confirm that they are much better live than on record. They were amazing actually, probably one of the best if not the best act of the day! They really build an atmosphere by extending the tracks and making them build and build. They are also much more electronic live if you like that kind of thing- quite techno-y! they incorporate remixes in the set as well- 100% recommend

That's a helluva recommendation considering all the goodies at Field Day. I'll take that on board, thanks.

44 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Live footage from Youtube seems to suggest they are. I know what you mean about the vocals, I much prefer their instrumental stuff. Missed a meeting at work today because I got engrossed in this

Then I lied and said I missed it because I had the shits, and now I do have the shits. Kharma that

This is sounding good, cheers. And yes but if karma was gonna get you for your excuses then be pleased you didn't say a loved one had died.

7 hours ago, mario man said:

I was already planning on a moderat-justice double whammy to finish the fest but now made it a triple adding them before

It's going to be a fantastic evening with those 3 in a row! Plenty of trips to the Brothers bar throughout. 

18 hours ago, rhg_99 said:

good stuff on WH early in the day all weekend for me:

Friday - Henry Wu Presents The Kamaal Williams Ensemble which is the live name for Yussef Kamaal. Incredibly rhythmic and jazzy, fantastic live too.

Saturday - Khruangbin. Good band who mix aspects of pyschedlic with kinda surfer/stoner rock and funk.

Sunday - Ryley Walker. Bit of an odd one for WH in my opinion. Indie singer/songwriter with aspects of blues and psychedelic rock at times. Nice early afternoon stuff.

liking some of these.. Ryley Walker especially....

I have looked these up (I haven't been on these boards much so they may have been mentioned) -

Sunday Morning - I am not missing this. I can imagine Calgon liking these:

7 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Am really likng Ryley Walker's latest album, thank you @rhg_99. Doesn't seem like it fits on WH though. More of a Park or even acoustic tent vibe to me. No complaints, min - I'll probably be watching him. 

His live shows go a bit free form folk/jazz. Or maybe jazz/folk. His band are Scandinavian jazz cats. Drummer all over the kit, stand up bass player taking the bass line for a walk.

9 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Sarcasm? 

Nope. Its not the singer songwriter man and acoustic guitar gig you'd think. 

I was at this one. Much more of a prog, jam free form kinda thing than what you'd expect when you hear Roundabout for example. Its good stuff though.

Edited by The Nal