Did anyone else find the steel cups a bit of a let down?

johnmcga

I met the guy who's company made the cups and the lady who project managed the work, up at the real ale bar at the top of the Park hill on the Saturday.  They'd just arrived on site.

Nice bloke, said he'd been working 7 day weeks for months getting the cups made, and there was just under 150,000 on site (I forget the exact figure he told me).

The cups were being washed somewhere relatively close (within 30 miles), but I suspect the mud didn't help with getting on and off site.

He he said he wasn't sure what was going to happen next year, but there would be a review of how it went post-festival.

It was his first Glastonbury, and he was having his beard painted, slightly reluctantly, in glitter.  I hope after a few beers he was able to chill and have a good weekend!
Edited by TentOnFire
Typo

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I thought they were great, and even replaced the trusty indestructible plastic cups I've been bringing since 1998 for the between-bar cans, mainly because they kept the beer cold.

Seemed to be quite a few bars I visited around the site using them, and those that weren't could sometimes be persuaded to pour beer straight in from the barrel.  I'm not sure if it reduced the paper cup litter around participating bars, the Park seemed tidier but that might have just been in my mind!

There were two in our party who struggled to find somewhere to return theirs, but they were being tight so I enjoyed the fact they were forced to make a £5 donation!

I've got 2 bottles now.  One sits on the desk at work and the other one's at home for outdoor/gardening usage.  And I love love love them.  Went bagless this year and didn't bother with a karabiner, just looped my belt through the handle and unscrewed the bottle when needed.  Meant there was minimal chance of leaving somewhere in my inebriated state, and having it sat on my hip was a constant reminder to drink water.

Got this year's from the water aid stand between the wood and pyramid, but no colour.  Have to say I'm happy without colour though, as it would only get chipped off or faded over time.

got 2 quite happy with them ...i dont reckon they had time to make a glasto stamp and stamp all of them so it is wot it is ....a nice steel cup lol ...ive got a thirst one from about 3 years back thats only ever had water in it but i missed out last year ...hope they do the same next year just with the glasto logo ...mind you there were people buying up to 10 and now there all over ebay which pisses me off just a tad ...

I think putting the logo on them would make them more of a collectible which does in a way defeat the object but it all supports British Steel. Would be interesting to know how many got returned? It would still be nice to see them rolled out over the whole site though.

Shaun.

16 hours ago, MilkyJoe said:

I think putting the logo on them would make them more of a collectible which does in a way defeat the object but it all supports British Steel. Would be interesting to know how many got returned? It would still be nice to see them rolled out over the whole site though.

Shaun.

That would be a terrible trip hazzard :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Personally, I think these steel cups are legit. First off, I'm dyspraxic, which basically means I'm medically clumsy, so glass is just a no-no for me. I can't have ceramics/glass because I can't be trusted, so usually I make-do with plastic.

These steel cups though are fucking ace. I've used mine pretty much every day since the festival. They're unbreakable! Also, I love how cold they keep my drinks, especially if I put ice in them.

All you complainers can go swivel. They're well worth a fiver and they're an ace souvenir. They're also infinitely better than their paper alternative. 

Move with the times, people! I'm going to order a few more and stock up. Fantabulous!

On 01/09/2016 at 1:56 PM, Ommadawn said:

They are also in use at the Pilton Party tomorrow if anyone wants one.

umm pilton party we may go next year as it would be our 18th or so glasto so i think maybe we might be eligable to go lol

5 hours ago, GlastoEls said:

Were the ones at the Pilton Party this week like last year's, with the official GFL logo embossed on the side, or the blank ones like at this year's festival?

Last year was a trial run and they only did 1000 with the logo because they ran out of time to do the rest.  they were also matt finish rather than the shiny ones now in use.