Lineup 2018

God damn this was tricky. So many acts that could do the NME headliner/3rd down slots about over the next year. People I missed include Clean Bandit, London Grammar, Enrter Shikari, Tame Impala, Vampire Weekend, Annie Mac, Chanismokers, Courtneers....

prediction.png

Edited by Mattymooz

A bit of a fuller prediction. Loving these Mastodon suggestions. 

Royal Blood / Boy Better Know / Wolf Alice / Don Broco / Mastodon / Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes / Fickle Friends / Basement / The One Hundred 

Bonobo / Desiigner

Thursday

Drake / The Chainsmokers / Panic! at the Disco / The Kooks / Nothing But Thieves / The Hunna / The Neighbourhood / HO99OR / Idles 

Vampire Weekend / Jack Garratt 

The Story So Far

Arctic Monkeys / Catfish and the Bottlemen / Stormzy / The Wombats / The Amazons / Creeper / DMA's / Alien Ant Farm / Milk Teeth 

Brand New / Lower Than Atlantis 

Skindred 

Edited by Andre91

1 hour ago, Mattymooz said:

God damn this was tricky. So many acts that could do the NME headliner/3rd down slots about over the next year. People I missed include Clean Bandit, London Grammar, Enrter Shikari, Tame Impala, Vampire Weekend, Annie Mac, Chanismokers, Courtneers....

prediction.png

make it easier for yourself by getting rid of The Prodigy and Pendulum who won't be there.  

Also, unless this album takes off much more than it looks like it's going to, Wolf Alice subbing would be a stretch.

Also, having an FR Stage headliner bigger than the Main Stage subs would be absurd.

Also, having both The Kooks and The Wombats play third down on Main in one year feels like it's overdoing the whole 'naff mid-2000's bland guitar band nostalgia' thing, particularly with Franz Ferdinand and The Fratellis in such prominent slots too. 

Also, Years & Years are bigger than anyone who played the NME this year, and a gazillion times bigger than the acts who subbed it, so that would make no sense either.

Also, I like to think/hope Anderson .Paak would firmly reject that slot, not least because the miserly crowd he'd get at that time of day would probs put him off the UK for good.

Also, if they were to book Kanye, the undercard for his day would need to be a lot more geared towards urban music than that or day tickets would flop. Having Stormzy sub him would make a lot of sense, and you'd probs want to move at least two of TTC/Big Sean/J Hus/Dizzee to his day too. 

Also one last thing, the Arctic Monkeys are the 'big' headliner there so they'd most likely play Reading Saturday/Leeds Sunday to max out day tickets at both sites.

:)

Edited by Zac Quinn

15 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

make it easier for yourself by getting rid of The Prodigy and Pendulum who won't be there.

I mean I can dream about The Prodigy but with Pendulums new album coming out + how well Rob gets on with FR I can't see them skipping R+L forever. There is definitely no way they are going back to Glasto any time soon.

16 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Also, unless this album takes off much more than it looks like it's going to, Wolf Alice subbing would be a stretch. Also, having an FR Stage headliner bigger than the Main Stage subs would be absurd.

I mean Liam Gallagher subbing + Blossoms 3rd was a bit of a stretch too. Plus all the talk of wanting to boost women up the lineup I think they make the most sense out of anyone else there (I mean if you think Stormzy could do it Wolf Alice definitely could).

18 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Also, having both The Kooks and The Wombats play third down on Main in one year feels like it's overdoing the whole 'naff mid-2000's bland guitar band nostalgia' thing, particularly with Franz Ferdinand and The Fratellis in such prominent slots too.

The Kooks and The Wombats are both having very successful revivals recently atm. Wombats should have a new album out by then too plus they subbed Community this last year. Plus Franz is getting most of the original cast back together so I think they would make sense. Maybe not the Fratellis but they haven't performed at R+L for ages so I kinda wanted to squeeze them in.

20 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Also, Years & Years are bigger than anyone who played the NME this year, and a gazillion times bigger than the acts who subbed it, so that would make no sense either.

Are they that big though? I would put them at a similar size to Halsey tbh especially as they have been gone for so long (and their first album wasn't particularly well received other than the singles). Definitely wouldn't say they are bigger than Flume. Heck they aren't subbing size are they and would be a pretty bleak 3rd down.

22 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Also, I like to think/hope Anderson .Paak would firmly reject that slot, not least because the miserly crowd he'd get at that time of day would probs put him off the UK for good.

Just wanted some more hip-hop for that day. Plus Anderson ain't that big, he doesn't have the mainstream popularity that someone like Migos does. I didn't think that was too shabby especially as he was first on at Wireless last year.

23 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Also, if they were to book Kanye, the undercard for his day would need to be a lot more geared towards urban music than that or day tickets would flop. Having Stormzy sub him would make a lot of sense, and you'd want to move at least two of TTC, Big Sean and Dizzee to his day too.

You wouldn't want the top 3 to be hip-hop maybe an extra dance act or two but there is a whole stage for other rap acts. Heck this year Eminem day only had Migos on the main stage and one of them didn't even turn up.... I guess the crowd for wolf alice would be absolutely awful so maybe swap them and Prodigy?

26 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Also one last thing, the Arctic Monkeys are the 'big' headliner there so they'd most likely play Reading Saturday/Leeds Sunday to max out day tickets at both sites.

:)

Hmm, I would have considered Kanye to big the big one considering his last show in the uk was when he headlined glasto and all the issues he has been going through recently (would be one of his first performances back after going to hospital). Kinda saw this as an Eminem vs. Muse situation where both are pretty big. Even if that isn't the case I would definitely think that Kanye would be the one who was more likely to sell a day ticket whereas Arctics would be more likely to convince people to buy a weekend.

47 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

There's got to be a good reason why the prodigy haven't returned despite being active quite a lot since 2009

They were headline size from like 2010-16 so maybe there wasn't any interest in them as a headliner. Dont see why they couldn't play nowadays, maybe subbing a hip hopper

1 hour ago, Zac Quinn said:

Also, if they were to book Kanye, the undercard for his day would need to be a lot more geared towards urban music than that or day tickets would flop. Having Stormzy sub him would make a lot of sense, and you'd probs want to move at least two of TTC/Big Sean/J Hus/Dizzee to his day too. 

I actually think that's where his day tickets would flop. Kanye is bigger with the indie and alternative kids than yer average grime fan. Tyler has a similar appeal so wouldn't be out of place but mixed in with Tame Impalas and other critically credible acts like that would be where the money is at.

18 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

They were headline size from like 2010-16 so maybe there wasn't any interest in them as a headliner. Dont see why they couldn't play nowadays, maybe subbing a hip hopper

That's probably why they haven't played festivals here in a couple of years. They were headlining major festivals, now they're not but are no longer accepting smaller slots (except at T I suppose, dunno why that's different).

Edited by dentalplan

1 hour ago, Mash011 said:

Catfish are about to fall off tbh. No sub slot for them.

(please)

I mean, I don't think they're gonna fall off at all especially after FR got them to headline community last year. As much as I wish they and Imagine Dragons and others would I think its only up for them atm (though people may get bored of the exact same album every time sooner or later)

The below guess is more what I’d like to see/what could potentially be possible in my eyes. Would be happy if I get 4 right.

Friday

Main

Royal Blood/Paramore (Co-headliners)

Stormzy

Brand New

NME

Bonobo

Vampire Weekend

Saturday

Main

Drake

The Chainsmokers

Panic! At The Disco

Don Broco

Foster The People

NME

Wolf Alice

Crystal Fighters

Sunday

Main

Foo Fighters

Catfish and the Bottlemen

Boy Better Know

The Wombats

NME

Chase & Status (Closing Set)

Phoenix

BIG SECRET

Arctic Monkeys (Secret Set)

Who I don’t think will be appearing (Who seem to be suggested):

Twenty One Pilots (Just finished touring their last album which was released over 2 years ago for nearly 300 shows. I think 2019 is more likely)

The Hunna (Will record a new album next year, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they just churn out another appearance)

Other potentials:

30STM

Fall Out Boy

Kanye West

QOTSA

I mean, I don't think they're gonna fall off at all especially after FR got them to headline community last year. As much as I wish they and Imagine Dragons and others would I think its only up for them atm (though people may get bored of the exact same album every time sooner or later)

Imagine Dragons are already on the way down going off the performance of their album this year. Can't imagine the tour will be as big as last time either. No idea why you keep pushing them if you don't want it to happen. :P

You're right about Catfish though; Community was a big thing to have them do and isn't unlike where future R+L headliners have been trialled at Latitude. I reckon they'll go onto headline Latitude next year and then album four (which sounds further away than it likely will be) is where they're either headliners of R+L or yesterday's news.

They will fairly soon. Bands like that don't stay popular for long really. 

2 minutes ago, stevieg1993 said:

In ten years time catfish might be the next Razorlight. Once one off the biggest British groups, headlining Glastonbury 8 yrs ago to playing non existing festivals in front of no more than ten thousand people. 

Ahhh I remember the day Razorlight headlined Glastonbury was fucking great

I also had fun watching them at that festival that doesn't exist

They won't be able to get ten thousand people watching them 

Edited by Steve1000

25 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Imagine Dragons are already on the way down going off the performance of their album this year. Can't imagine the tour will be as big as last time either. No idea why you keep pushing them if you don't want it to happen. :P

You're right about Catfish though; Community was a big thing to have them do and isn't unlike where future R+L headliners have been trialled at Latitude. I reckon they'll go onto headline Latitude next year and then album four (which sounds further away than it likely will be) is where they're either headliners of R+L or yesterday's news.

I'm not trying to push them I just think everyone is making a mistake if you think they're gonna be going down the line up rather than up it.