Lineup 2018

15 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

The point would be what with no Glastonbury it'd be a great opportunity to rake in all the people looking for a festival to go to, and what better way than with three mega headliners. But it won't work out that way, and in 2012 both Kasabian and The Cure were hardly huge headliners so I'd assume at least one of next years will be your average new act being bumped up, like Royal Blood. And as Zac has said, the last thing they need to do is damage the undercard moreso.

People always wanna go to a festival. Now R+L is the only big choice, so people will be coming anyway. Why spend all your money on 3 big names when you can get away with 1 or 2 and still have names for next year and potentially make the glasto punters come back.

Edited by Mattymooz

Just now, Mattymooz said:

People always wanna go to a festival. Now R+L is the only big choice, so people will be coming anyway. Why spend all your money on 3 big names when you can get away with 1 or 2 and still have names for next year and potentially make the glasto punters come back. Thats just basic business sense

Yeah I should've added, even with say Royal Blood as one of the headliners it'll sell well. Although don't assume people are just gonna go to R/L for the sake of it because there's no Glastonbury on - I'm sure a large portion will go to festivals abroad/do something else instead. It may be the next biggest festival after Glastonbury, but lineup/atmosphere/everything wise they're miles apart, and I'm sure many smaller festivals like Latitude and Bestival will benefit more than R/L will.

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah I should've added, even with say Royal Blood as one of the headliners it'll sell well. Although don't assume people are just gonna go to R/L for the sake of it because there's no Glastonbury on - I'm sure a large portion will go to festivals abroad/do something else instead. It may be the next biggest festival after Glastonbury, but lineup/atmosphere/everything wise they're miles apart, and I'm sure many smaller festivals like Latitude and Bestival will benefit more than R/L will.

Of course, but they'll benefit at least a little bit and thats all that matters - keeping that little extra that they got. Reading sells out most years anway so really they will be wanting to attract people to Leeds

1 minute ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Has Kendrick been written off? People seem to be suggesting Drake or Kanye now.

Any chance they could have him co headline or sub (e.g. royal blood) alongside the aforementioned headlining outright on another day or is that extremely unlikely?

I doubt they'd have the two in one year. There's a VERY limited amount of rappers who could headline major festivals - Eminem, Jay Z, Kanye, Drake, Kendrick - so using up two in the same year would be unwise. Plus, it's still overall a 'rock' festival so I doubt they'd want to alienate what's left of that audience even moreso.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Has Kendrick been written off? People seem to be suggesting Drake or Kanye now.

Any chance they could have him co headline or sub (e.g. royal blood) alongside the aforementioned headlining outright on another day or is that extremely unlikely?

Kendrick could solo headline imo (definitely won't sub). I think he's more likely for Wireless next year and then R+L the year after. He could have done it next year if it weren't for the Kanye comment (Dunno where people got Drake from, V or Wireless would make much more sense for him). In my head the next couple of years look like this:

2018: Arctics // Kanye // Royal Blood (+ Paramore?)
2019: Foos // Kendrick+1975 // Killers
2020: Florence // 21P+Catfish // BMTH

Though that means the 2020 lineup looks pretty weak but idk. Maybe swap Foos & BMTH?

Edited by Mattymooz
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mattymooz said:

Kendrick could solo headline imo (definitely won't sub). I think he's more likely for Wireless next year and then R+L the year after. He could have done it next year if it weren't for the Kanye comment (Dunno where people got Drake from, V or Wireless would make much more sense for him). In my head the next couple of years look like this:

Though that means the 2020 lineup looks pretty weak but idk. Maybe swap Foos & BMTH?

At this stage I have Florence down for a secret set next year then headlining 2019 so maybe swap her and Foos, they'll probably have another album ready by 2020. Would make 2020 very very dull, but in Glastonbury's big year less people might be paying enough attention to care about R+L playing it safe with lots of MOR shite anyway. 

And of course the usual caveat to predicting lineups three years in advance applies, anyone could break through/break up/die between now and then. There's enough time for bands who haven't even released their debut as of now to have a second record out by then :P 

Edited by Zac Quinn

1 hour ago, Mattymooz said:

By 2019 Kendrick Foos and Killers will have been touring for 3 summers so think that'd be abit shit. 2020 is too far don't think it's worth even considering atm

Next year we have that R1 Glasto replacement thing, I could see the Killers and Kendrick being involved in that but I have no idea how it's gonna work

4 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

By 2019 Kendrick Foos and Killers will have been touring for 3 summers so think that'd be abit shit. 2020 is too far don't think it's worth even considering atm

Next year we have that R1 Glasto replacement thing, I could see the Killers and Kendrick being involved in that but I have no idea how it's gonna work

unless he takes a longer break after the Damn cycle than he did after TPAB, Kendrick could very well have released album five by then tbh. though I agree with your point, they'd surely never go a year without at least one headliner on a 'fresh' album.

9 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

It would only be The Killers 2nd year by then no? As the album will be out next year?... And Agreed with Zac, Kendrick should have a new album out by then (so probs should solo headline)

Maybe for a better order would be

2019: Florence // Kendrick // The Killers
2020: Foos // 21P+1975 // BMTH

But tbh that makes 2019 see very mellow and 2020 has a lot of heavier stuff so idk Also expected 1975 in 2019 but I guess they could wait?

2 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

People have obviously got Drake from the fact he turned up this year to a rapturous reception. I've been considering him but it's obvious he only showed up because he was in the country already and Giggs asked him to pop along before going to the O2 that night. Yeah, Melvin may have clocked the reception and be wanting to get him in for next year, but when I recently predicted Drake for V I got told that he probably wouldn't bother taking festival slots when he could sell so many stadium tickets instead (same as how I wouldn't expect either Adele or Sheeran to do any festivals except Glasto atm), so I'm not sure what's different with predicting him for R&L.

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

It would only be The Killers 2nd year by then no? As the album will be out next year?... And Agreed with Zac, Kendrick should have a new album out by then (so probs should solo headline)

Maybe for a better order would be

2019: Florence // Kendrick // The Killers
2020: Foos // 21P+1975 // BMTH

But tbh that makes 2019 see very mellow and 2020 has a lot of heavier stuff so idk Also expected 1975 in 2019 but I guess they could wait?

The Killers have been touring this Summer and the album is out this month. They'd be a shit booking anyway, nevermind booking them on their 3rd Summer touring an album. I doubt they'll still be touring it by then anyway.

It was a surprise that Kendrick released DAMN. so soon, and he's been so prolific over the last few years that I'm not expecting him to pump out another album by 2019. He'll surely have some kind of a break soon. Maybe 2020 would be a better shout for him.

Would also expect The 1975 and 21P to have their next albums out by 2019's festival so I'd probs swap them and Kendrick around if I were you.

Using the headliners you've predicted I think this would make more sense.

2018: Arctic Monkeys / Kanye / Royal Blood

2019: Foos / The 1975 + 21P / Florence

2020: Kendrick / BMTH / ???

However, as has been said, we have no idea what will be happening by 2020. I remember doing similar to this back in 2012 and predicting stuff like Elbow and Oasis to be headlining 3 years from then; it's a pointless exercise, really.

20 hours ago, DomDom1984 said:

QOTSA were against doing a Scottish arena show this year so as they could do their own outdoor thing next year. So the "own outdoor show" thing is definitely true.

Although that still leaves them open for Summer Sessions.

Although, that could maybe mean that the "own outdoor shows" that were mentioned could be in Scotland, in addition to them doing R&L?

1 hour ago, Will-2609 said:

However, as has been said, we have no idea what will be happening by 2020. I remember doing similar to this back in 2012 and predicting stuff like Elbow and Oasis to be headlining 3 years from then; it's a pointless exercise, really.

The reason I did it the first time was to stop people yelling at me that Foos need to headline ASAP :P

50 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Django Django on 1Xtra :huh: also why the hell do people keep predicting The Fratellis, are they secretly planning a major resurgence from their current status of playing local village fetes and needing to give songs away for free?

I predicted them as those mid 2000 bands seem to be kinda in atm (Kooks resergence, JEW got a pretty reasonable crowd esp. for the Middle) and they make more sense imo than Franz Ferdinand. Wombats I'm never sure whether to include in that crowd as they also have good new music that is pretty popular and still doing relatively prominent fest appearances e.g. subbing Community

Reading through the last few pages really liking some of the ideas. Here's my ideal/somewhat realistic lineup. (Only headliners for most and subs for Main Stage)

Friday

Main Stage

Royal Blood/Queens Of The Stone Age, Catfish & The Bottlemen

NME

All Time Low

Dance

AlunaGeorge

The Pit

Twin Atlantic

Festival Republic

Lucy Rose

1Xtra

Earl Sweatshirt

Saturday

Main Stage

Kanye West, Calvin Harris

NME

Alt-J

Dance

Kygo

The Pit

Parkway Drive

Festival Republic

Deaf Havana

1Xtra

A$AP Ferg

Sunday

Main Stage

Arctic Monkeys, Tame Impala

NME

Dizzee Rascal

Dance

Madeon

The Lock Up

Weezer

Festival Republic

Amber Run

1Xtra

Krept & Konan

Just a thought but somewhere in the lineup I can 100% see Khalid in there. Great young talent, think he'd fit maybe a 3rd or 4th slot on NME some day?

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

I mean there is no way that if Calvin plays he would be a subheadliner (defo headliner material, he's way bigger than Disclosure). However I think he'd go down better at V if he was gonna play anywhere

That was 100% the most far fetched thing I put I know that. Yeah I did think that but was going on the basis of a DJ then an urban act. And although I agree with a few pages back of people saying Chainsmokers, I hate them and couldn't bring myself to write it haha

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jayvk said:

Reading through the last few pages really liking some of the ideas. Here's my ideal/somewhat realistic lineup. (Only headliners for most and subs for Main Stage)

Friday

Main Stage

Royal Blood/Queens Of The Stone Age, Catfish & The Bottlemen

NME

All Time Low

Dance

AlunaGeorge

The Pit

Twin Atlantic

Festival Republic

Lucy Rose

1Xtra

Earl Sweatshirt

Saturday

Main Stage

Kanye West, Calvin Harris

NME

Alt-J

Dance

Kygo

The Pit

Parkway Drive

Festival Republic

Deaf Havana

1Xtra

A$AP Ferg

Sunday

Main Stage

Arctic Monkeys, Tame Impala

NME

Dizzee Rascal

Dance

Madeon

The Lock Up

Weezer

Festival Republic

Amber Run

1Xtra

Krept & Konan

Just a thought but somewhere in the lineup I can 100% see Khalid in there. Great young talent, think he'd fit maybe a 3rd or 4th slot on NME some day?

Pretty sure Calvin retired as well so going to be a real long shot for him to headline let alone sub. Also see Alt-J being high on main stage rather than NME if they were to go but matter of opinion.