Lineup 2018

Just now, dentalplan said:

You know there are core clashfinders though, right? I don't think one called 'notreal' is gonna take off. :P

I know haha, I made this before Matty made his and have just been using it since for myself haha. Only linked it because it's updated, didn't know if the other one was haha.

30 minutes ago, TOMHAMPTON said:

Skepta being pulled is a huge blow to this already shitshow of a lineup. I imagine lots of people were going to go to him instead of KoL (myself included)

well looks like you have to see diplo

Edited by jj200

15 minutes ago, TOMHAMPTON said:

Skepta being pulled is a huge blow to this already shitshow of a lineup. I imagine lots of people were going to go to him instead of KoL (myself included)

Yeah same here mate. Think I've settled on AJ Tracey now. 

9 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

The Lockup / Pit continuing the trend of recent years as being incredibly weak. Stray From The Path, Black Peaks and Blood Youth are all playing way higher than bands their size would have a few years ago. 

Yep, looks like they’re directing less and less money towards that stage. You can tell in the diminishing crowds as well. 

Shame as it used to be a stage that set Reading apart a bit. Remember there being people that spent almost, if not all, of their weekend on the lock up. Doubt that happens anymore! 

53 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

Yeah same here mate. Think I've settled on AJ Tracey now. 

Makes me laugh how people bemoan Skepta’s disappearance meaning they have to see KOL, when the biggest prospect in (actual) grime with a song called Skepta featuring Skepta is on another stage. Fair if he finishes early mind.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Makes me laugh how people bemoan Skepta’s disappearance meaning they have to see KOL, when the biggest prospect in (actual) grime with a song called Skepta featuring Skepta is on another stage. Fair if he finishes early mind.

Why is that a thing? That's like a new indie band releasing a song called Arctic Monkeys. Stupid.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah I was kind of expecting him to finish early because of Skepta but if he's pulled out who knows. I hope he doesn't finish early because there really aren't any other headliners worth watching.

Just now, TheWaters said:

Yeah I was kind of expecting him to finish early because of Skepta but if he's pulled out who knows. I hope he doesn't finish early because there really aren't any other headliners worth watching.

Might be too late to get him to change now but I reckon if the plan was for him to finish early they'd be smart to try and change that now, even if it means having a long gap between him and the sub or whatever.

36 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Makes a lot of sense for them to direct less money to that stage, to be fair. Think I've been in that tent twice in my life (ASIWYFA and Tomahawk) and it was dead both times, and one of those was a headliner.

Unless of course the reason it is dead is because they are directing less and less towards the stage.

Chicken and egg and all that.

Edited by rivalschools.price

49 minutes ago, rfc_478 said:

Yep, looks like they’re directing less and less money towards that stage. You can tell in the diminishing crowds as well. 

Shame as it used to be a stage that set Reading apart a bit. Remember there being people that spent almost, if not all, of their weekend on the lock up. Doubt that happens anymore! 

I’ll be spending the bulk of the weekend in the lock-up,mainly because the other stages are so poor.

Only reason I’m going is because I’ve alresdy booked time off work and I bought the ticket(as I always do) without seeing the line up.

After 16 years, I won’t be buying a ticket early next year before the line up is announced.

Tbf how many people do you expect at R&L to give a shit about a supergroup with members of Faith No More and Mr Bungle? And ASIWYFA are obviously a very niche band. The stage gets some alright crowds, I thought Arcane Roots and WSS in particular did pretty well last year. Some horrible ones though, I wouldn't be surprised if less than 40 people were watching Puppy with me.

Anyway the stage has plenty of spaces to fill so I wouldn't worry too much yet.

Edited by Steve1000

3 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Tbf how many people do you expect at R&L to give a shit about a supergroup with members of Faith No More and Mr Bungle? And ASIWYFA are obviously a very niche band. The stage gets some alright crowds, I thought Arcane Roots and WSS in particular did pretty well last year. Some horrible ones though, I wouldn't be surprised if less than 40 people were watching Puppy with me.

Anyway the stage has plenty of spaces to fill so I wouldn't worry too much yet.

Your first point is spot on. I think it’s the kind of acts being booked not having the right pull at all. Bands like the two you’ve mentioned above (ASIWYFA and Tomahawk) as well as the likes of Kvelertak and Giraffe Tongue Orchestra aren’t the kinds of bands that should be getting booked. 

Some of the ‘harder’ rap acts booked on that stage this year like scarlxrd and $uicideboy$ will get far bigger crowds and are ‘hard’ enough for that world of music so I think it is cool them being booked to play that stage. 

2 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

I’ll be spending the bulk of the weekend in the lock-up,mainly because the other stages are so poor.

Only reason I’m going is because I’ve alresdy booked time off work and I bought the ticket(as I always do) without seeing the line up.

After 16 years, I won’t be buying a ticket early next year before the line up is announced.

I’m glad it still happens! I was looking back at 2008 earlier which was my first Reading- Pennywise, Goldfinger, Alkaline Trio, Flogging Molly, Gaslight Anthem to name but a few.

Still gets some decent acts but the stage is a shadow of what it used to be. 

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Your first point is spot on. I think it’s the kind of acts being booked not having the right pull at all. Bands like the two you’ve mentioned above (ASIWYFA and Tomahawk) as well as the likes of Kvelertak and Giraffe Tongue Orchestra aren’t the kinds of bands that should be getting booked. 

Some of the ‘harder’ rap acts booked on that stage this year like scarlxrd and $uicideboy$ will get far bigger crowds and are ‘hard’ enough for that world of music so I think it is cool them being booked to play that stage. 

It shouldn’t take ‘harder’ rap acts to fill that stage. If they booked decent punk/rock  bands rather than cheaping out it’d do well. I just think they can’t be arsed with it anymore, sadly. 

The last band I properly loved on that stage was Modern Baseball in 2016- a set that has gained more significance as they may not be back. It’s a stage I used to love, but there’s not a great deal that interests me this year