Secret glasto

Muppetmark

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 02/05/2016 at 4:01 PM, Bosslar said:

Gents.

If I don't manage to get a ticket through competition wins or 'secret' resales then I'd be happy to help out with this, guess it should mean the ticket gods smile on me for 2017?

Tony 

I got a ticket in the main sale after setting it up (and not having a ticket in 2014) and @stuartbert two hats got his this year in the main sale after running it last year xD

18 hours ago, Muppetmark said:

I got a ticket in the main sale after setting it up (and not having a ticket in 2014) and @stuartbert two hats got his this year in the main sale after running it last year xD

Sounds foolproof to me - if I'm ultimately unsuccessful, as is looking likely, I have the time booked off work anyway so may as well sit in front of the tv/computer and try make sure you guys have a blast while I get depressed!!!

Edited by Bosslar

On 08/05/2016 at 1:15 AM, cb4747 said:

@eFestivals it's working great! Middle of the night heart attack though haha

yeah, soz about that :lol: ..... but it did prove the system stays as fast with many more users on it. :)

I improved the error handling yesterday morning, so it's less likely they'll be similar false alerts to the ones very early on Sunday morning.

The system is working very well for the Glasto tickets pages, but there's issues with general gig tickets pages that I'm working on a solution for (and hopefully will have sorted before the end of today, depending on what else crops up that I need to do).

49 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

yeah, soz about that :lol: ..... but it did prove the system stays as fast with many more users on it. :)

I improved the error handling yesterday morning, so it's less likely they'll be similar false alerts to the ones very early on Sunday morning.

The system is working very well for the Glasto tickets pages, but there's issues with general gig tickets pages that I'm working on a solution for (and hopefully will have sorted before the end of today, depending on what else crops up that I need to do).

Given that ticket sales don't generally happen during the early hours of the morning but site maintenance frequently does, would it be worth introducing 'down times' for your excellent Check Page system?  i.e it stops monitoring between midnight-6am ?

It may save on using up notifications on false positives, as well as preventing a few heart attacks! 

Just now, MoilyX said:

Given that ticket sales don't generally happen during the early hours of the morning but site maintenance frequently does, would it be worth introducing 'down times' for your excellent Check Page system?  i.e it stops monitoring between midnight-6am ?

It may save on using up notifications on false positives, as well as preventing a few heart attacks! 

There shouldn't be any need to do that, as I believe I've now covered the issue with better error-checking.

Given that timely alerts are the most important part of the system, i'm not going to do anything further for the moment - as I think people would rather have unnecessary alerts (were that to happen again) than not get the alert they want.

I am trying to improve the system tho, which is why I made that change to the error-checking yesterday morning. Fingers crossed it's now set-up in the best way possible.

13 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

@eFestivals, while you're on the thread, I'm planning to purchase Gold for the @SecretGlasto login and share the password amongst the helpers so we can have a pseudo-wiki on a forum post, like I did last year except with more than one editor.

Is this ok by your T&Cs?  No violations by sharing login details?

I don't have a problem with shared accounts, cos they're not really much use for abuse.

But I'm not sure what extra editing rights there are with 'gold'.

Just now, eFestivals said:

I don't have a problem with shared accounts, cos they're not really much use for abuse.

But I'm not sure what extra editing rights there are with 'gold'.

Indefinite editing.  I can edit posts from years ago as a Gold member, whereas I believe there is a limit of a few hours for standard accounts?

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Indefinite editing.  I can edit posts from years ago as a Gold member, whereas I believe there is a limit of a few hours for standard accounts?

ahhh ... well, that's defo more than I'd want to allow, so I've just changed it to a week - which will still allow you to do what you're wanting to do.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Oh :(

That thread was being edited for about 3 weeks last time, that's totally broken my plan.

Can't a new thread just be created on the Monday with any salient information gleaned before being copied over?

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

you can start a new thread a day or two before. I can't see how that's an issue.

It worked really well having a single thread with all the new findings as normal posts and all the results summarised in the first post. Everyone could easily see what had already been reported and there was a long lived, canonical source of all the known sets. It's not about having the list going into the festival, it's about being able to build it up easily in the preceding month.

Ultimately, this is a forum not a wiki, I managed to exploit a loophole last year to treat it as a single page wiki, but it's probably not a good fit now. The best solution will probably to have discussion + reporting of new lists here as before, but the canonical list and supporting info held externally.

I totally appreciate the reasons for capping the edit time. I should have kept my trap shut eh? ;)

38 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It worked really well having a single thread with all the new findings as normal posts and all the results summarised in the first post. Everyone could easily see what had already been reported and there was a long lived, canonical source of all the known sets. It's not about having the list going into the festival, it's about being able to build it up easily in the preceding month.

You could just create a new thread every week and copy the contents of the first post over? It's mostly going to be in that month ahead so it's only 5 or so threads, can't see it taking more than 30 seconds to create and copy so it doesn't make it hugely more difficult?

12 hours ago, eFestivals said:

ahhh ... well, that's defo more than I'd want to allow, so I've just changed it to a week - which will still allow you to do what you're wanting to do.

Couldn't you extend it to the three weeks Stuart believes he needs just in the run up to the festival? It was apparently much longer for ages, so shouldn't cause any problems and would allow those concerned to do what is needed?

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/5/2016 at 11:52 AM, Bosslar said:

Sounds foolproof to me - if I'm ultimately unsuccessful, as is looking likely, I have the time booked off work anyway so may as well sit in front of the tv/computer and try make sure you guys have a blast while I get depressed!!!

@Bosslar Still up for this?  @august1 can you still help out evenings and weekends?

Have I missed any other volunteers?