Insect bites

danssol

Never used insect repellant in this country, never seen the need.

but having camped in Africa a few times my top tips would be to keep your tent zipped up at all times, being trapped in a tent with bitey insects is no fun, and where long sleeves and trousers at night.

I always seem to get bitten on holiday (I was bitten so badly in Sicily that I had to see a doctor, who asked where in the African jungle I'd been to get bites that bad...) but thankfully have never been bitten at Glastonbury :)

I hear that Avon's Skin So Soft is a good insect repellant without smelling, er, repellant to humans!

33 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

I always seem to get bitten on holiday (I was bitten so badly in Sicily that I had to see a doctor, who asked where in the African jungle I'd been to get bites that bad...) but thankfully have never been bitten at Glastonbury :)

I hear that Avon's Skin So Soft is a good insect repellant without smelling, er, repellant to humans!

I have used Avons Skin so Soft against the Scottish midge for years and highly recommend it. Took it to Glastonbury last year but don't think I needed it.

When I was on holiday in Barcelona, a lovely older couple told me that insects are attracted to the sweet scent of any products you use (shampoo etc). She seemed to have a point as when I went to Corfu a couple of years later, the wasps would hang around me until I had been in the pool, and then they'd leave me alone because they couldn't smell my shampoo etc. 

I would imagine the smell of 5 days at a festival isn't as appealing to them!

3 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

I have used Avons Skin so Soft against the Scottish midge for years and highly recommend it. Took it to Glastonbury last year but don't think I needed it.

Works brilliantly for me and I'm a bloody magnet for them

Permethrin and 100% Deet. But only if you are paranoid about getting a bite from something in this country. Otherwise anti-histamines are the way forward. Just in case you might need to know - a market leading sea sickness / travel sickness tablet is just a mareketed anti-histamine. Same contents but specifically marketed.

Um, Somerset is not particularly renowned for insect bites. I'm sure it happens and all, but there are far more likely and spectacular ways to come a cropper in late June in Somerset than insect bites.

This would be an opportune moment to drag this one out the deep crates. A grower.

Take your pick...

Edited by bamber