How long does each camping field take to fill?

JoeyT

I've done a search but can't find anything so... I was wondering how long each camping area takes to fill as of gates opening?

I was originally going to ask about East Campervan fields specifically but figured the question may as well be open to every area so it can help as many people as possible to plan.

We arrived around 3 / 3.30pm on the Tues and just managed to squeeze in to E19.

Did they open the fields up prior to 12pm as stated on the website? Planning on leaving earlier this year if that's the case.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I've done a search but can't find anything so... I was wondering how long each camping area takes to fill as of gates opening?

I was originally going to ask about East Campervan fields specifically but figured the question may as well be open to every area so it can help as many people as possible to plan.

We arrived around 3 / 3.30pm on the Tues and just managed to squeeze in to E19.

Did they open the fields up prior to 12pm as stated on the website? Planning on leaving earlier this year if that's the case.

Yes, the gates were open before 12. I think they were open at least an hour early. We arrived at about 1:30 and E16 had just been opened, E17,18 & 19 were all full (Or at least they wouldn't allow you to access them...wasn't E19 just for families last year??). Doesn't mean they will always open early, but it seems a safe bet as it's better than queues on the roads.

Edited by Avalon_Fields

not sure I rock up at 11 am on Wednesday and head for the furthest away campsite that has space left and camp there. Normally around Baileys field is a nice place to camp. not far from the Park and it has space Wednesday morning / afternoon. everywhere else seemed full. 

4 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Yes, the gates were open before 12. I think they were open at least an hour early. We arrived at about 1:30 and E16 had just been opened, E17,18 & 19 were all full (Or at least they wouldn't allow you to access them...wasn't E19 just for families last year??). Doesn't mean they will always open early, but it seems a safe bet as it's better than queues on the roads.

We did ask for family camping as some of my friends bring their children for the first couple of days so you may be right that E19 was for family camping specifically.

One of those situations where you're never sure if you've actually been put in family camping though as there are always numerous other groups without children in it as well!

19 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

My kid brother was right at the back of E17 - one of the furthest points from the gate - he turned up about 5pm weds afternoon.

For anyone camping with kids, Cockmill meadow family field is generally full by early Wednesday afternoon, say around 1-2 pm. You might squeeze in a small tent after that, but not anything family-sized. In contrast, Wicket family field doesn't fill up completely all weekend. We stayed there last year, and there was plenty of space. 

3 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Depends on your age/outlook I suppose. Looks a nightmare to me.

Ahhh so I am guessing it is constantly very loud and full of kids or am I wrong in saying that?

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's a horrible soulless barren wasteland of a campsite.  That floods.

Buuuuut, it is pretty central.

Which one would you recommend then that is pretty central also? Going to be getting there about 8am Wednesday so should be able to choose from any

1 minute ago, PaulKav said:

Ahhh so I am guessing it is constantly very loud and full of kids or am I wrong in saying that?

No, you're right.

1 minute ago, PaulKav said:

Which one would you recommend then that is pretty central also? Going to be getting there about 8am Wednesday so should be able to choose from any

It depends on your tastes, where do you want to be close to? Are you going to be up late? Do you mind crowds?

Pennards is central, but is mad full of tents.  Park Home, or just by Arcadia can work if you're not intending to try to sleep when it's running.  Dairy is where I'll be headed this year, so don't try there :P

2 minutes ago, Keithy said:

I would certainly say definitely avoid Dairy at all costs. Bags of shit and horrible. Camp elsewhere :P

I camped Dairy last year, ye wasn't the best. Gunna try and get Pennard Hill next time, defo best place, but have to get there very early I reks 

14 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

No, you're right.

It depends on your tastes, where do you want to be close to? Are you going to be up late? Do you mind crowds?

Pennards is central, but is mad full of tents.  Park Home, or just by Arcadia can work if you're not intending to try to sleep when it's running.  Dairy is where I'll be headed this year, so don't try there :P

Yeah I will be planning on staying up late and experiencing all of the SE corner and all them places. So I guess I'd want to be close to that so it is a shorter walk when it is all finished.

Cheers for the advice. Dairy it is for me then

15 minutes ago, jackarmy said:

Where we were camped in Pylon was pretty rammed by late Thursday. It's certainly gotten a lot more popular in the 6 years it's been public camping, and you can see why really.

Yeah Bushy/Pylon seem to get more popular every year. No doubt due to being very handily placed near to the coach station. Last year, even Thursday lunchtime proved a challenge to get our group a big enough spot in Bushy, when we used to turn up late in the afternoon.

30 minutes ago, PaulKav said:

Yeah I will be planning on staying up late and experiencing all of the SE corner and all them places. So I guess I'd want to be close to that so it is a shorter walk when it is all finished.

Cheers for the advice. Dairy it is for me then

Consider the field right next to Arcadia ( I think it's Park Home), because it's so close to the spider, it fills up more slowly than other fields nearby.  And it's slightly closer to other action than Dairy.  Plus I'm going to Dairy and like space :P

31 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Consider the field right next to Arcadia ( I think it's Park Home), because it's so close to the spider, it fills up more slowly than other fields nearby.  And it's slightly closer to other action than Dairy.  Plus I'm going to Dairy and like space :P

Park Home has been my 'home' for my last few Glastonburys. It was a lovely spot. Haven't been since they moved Arcadia but I don't want to be camped right next to that so I'm thinking of Dairy this year, ho hum 

Done Dairy Ground forever (just on the other side of the Arcadia fence specifically) and have loved it. However as we’re coming down later this year, and not wanting to rely on people putting our tent up, going to have to make the move.

@mr gumby would you mind sharing your thoughts on your experience at the family camping field at Wicket? I’ve got close friends who are bringing their two kids (2 and 8 respectively). I doubt they’ll manage to get in Cockmill and unsure whether to just camp in the usual places. Whats the trek to the kids field/pyramid etc?

12 minutes ago, loveisanumber said:

I camped in South Park 1 last year and there was plenty of space the whole weekend. Was a horrible walk to and from the coach though so that might have been why. Was great for sleeping at night, but a long walk back!

i was there last year also, I don;t mind a walk and it was great to get some sleep and still have a laugh. we tend to take up a lot of room having a larger group.  it is a good hike from anywhere but the compost loos were great and clean. people were friendly enough but they always are no matter where you camp