The Commercialization of Music Festivals

GeoHall

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Is there anybody in any university who isn't writing a dissertation about festivals?

My dissertation is about the impact of tourism in developing countries and the relationship with, among other things, cultural division, crime and terrorism. 

D'ya wanna do a survey? 

38 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Tuborg is alright, it's just bog standard cooking lager. I don't mind it really. Don't really get the hate, what would be a better alternative?

Think of a lager other than Carling, Carlsberg, Fosters, Budweiser or Coors.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
Aich reminded me about non-craft American beers

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

Tuborg is alright, it's just bog standard cooking lager. I don't mind it really. Don't really get the hate, what would be a better alternative?

Tuborg's not that bad when bought in a pub but at Glastonbury it's so watered down it's just vile. Will only drink pints of cider bus cider or Brothers if I'm over that way.

12 minutes ago, Mardy said:

personally, I'd be happy with Heinekin or something. Or maybe a correctly spelled version.

Mind, after last night, I'm never ever fucking drinking again, so it's all moot.

Yeah, Heineken has been fine ever since they stopped doing the shit weak version and relabelled Export.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah, Heineken has been fine ever since they stopped doing the shit weak version and relabelled Export.

you see, I reckon hot day at a festival, out in the sun, having a drink in your hand for about 12+ hours a day, you need something pretty weak and bland.

Just now, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

So, downing four bottles of red at 14% is not advisable? Oh, I see clearly now where I've gone wrong in the past.

hehehe, I'm going file that one in the same category as 'doing a bottle of gin between Courtney Barnett and Burt Bacharach then weeping uncontrollably throughout his set and turning into a right soppy c**t in front of all my family and friends'. 

That was my 'doing a bottle of rum and all the ecstasy during Kasabian' in 09, except I have no memory of what happened thereafter as for the good of my mental state my brain turned the record button off for 6 hours.

Edited by Spindles

55 minutes ago, Mardy said:

hehehe, I'm going file that one in the same category as 'doing a bottle of gin between Courtney Barnett and Burt Bacharach then weeping uncontrollably throughout his set and turning into a right soppy c**t in front of all my family and friends'. 

Strangely enough I'm OK with drinking buckets of gin (and slimline tonic - very hard to find at Glastonbury). It's red wine that sends me radio rental and often in to an alcoholic blackout. Many is the time I used to end up waking up in a police cell for being drunk and incapable etc on red wine. I try to avoid it nowadays unless I know that I want to go off on one.

58 minutes ago, Spindles said:

That was my 'doing a bottle of rum and all the ecstasy during Kasabian' in 09, except I have no memory of what happened thereafter as for the good of my mental state my brain turned the record button off for 6 hours.

I went to the AA (not Automobile Association) many years ago and there was one person there that visited alcoholics in prison. He stated that there were many murderers doing life who couldn't even remember commiting their crime because of an alcoholic blackout. Scary Mary territory it is.

Yeah, one of only 2 times I've ever been 'blackout drunk'.  Both times there was a moment of coming around and realisation that I was wobbling on the edge of a black hole and nothing from the previous hours could be recalled, similarly I could have done anything in that time period and would still not know about it.

9 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Tuborg's not that bad when bought in a pub but at Glastonbury it's so watered down it's just vile. Will only drink pints of cider bus cider or Brothers if I'm over that way.

let me be very clear - I am not a great lover of Tuborg and I prefer Carlsberg Cold but I have to pull you up as all the lager sold at WBC Bars are not watered down.

Every bar is inspected by ' Weights and Measures ' and they take a sample from every tap there is and that is sent back to the labs for testing - before any bar is open to the public.

They also measure the MDU's and will take 12 samples from each unit.

I have been involved with the WBC for 27 years and at no event in that time was a test failed in the lab so where/when do you claim that this has happened ? and please explain ' how you discovered this ?'

Many of the main bars use large Tankers and they have a meter on them { the driver records the details } so it would be a complete waste of time adding water at that point as Carlsberg would charge the WBC extra for any water added.They know exactly how many pints entered a tanker and they would spot any water being added straight away.   

Are you claiming that any of the staff would add water and risk being arrested for fraud ? 

so how do you claim the water gets into the closed system ? and how were you able to get to the back of the bar  and were able to see this happen unnoticed by Security and CCTV Cameras ? { all the main bars have hidden CCTV Cameras }

sure lager does taste different from a normal pub because you are comparing glass to paper cups and this does affect the taste.

take a paper cup to a pub and compare it for yourself and you will see it does taste different.

I just think that it is a result of it being served in a paper cup like you say.  It just seems to me that cider works better in paper cups than beers (I remember having a brown ale that was bloody awful).

I'm going to be controversial and say that Tuborg is not as naff as Carling.

3 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

let me be very clear - I am not a great lover of Tuborg and I prefer Carlsberg Cold but I have to pull you up as all the lager sold at WBC Bars are not watered down.

Every bar is inspected by ' Weights and Measures ' and they take a sample from every tap there is and that is sent back to the labs for testing - before any bar is open to the public.

They also measure the MDU's and will take 12 samples from each unit.

I have been involved with the WBC for 27 years and at no event in that time was a test failed in the lab so where/when do you claim that this has happened ? and please explain ' how you discovered this ?'

Many of the main bars use large Tankers and they have a meter on them { the driver records the details } so it would be a complete waste of time adding water at that point as Carlsberg would charge the WBC extra for any water added.They know exactly how many pints entered a tanker and they would spot any water being added straight away.   

Are you claiming that any of the staff would add water and risk being arrested for fraud ? 

so how do you claim the water gets into the closed system ? and how were you able to get to the back of the bar  and were able to see this happen unnoticed by Security and CCTV Cameras ? { all the main bars have hidden CCTV Cameras }

sure lager does taste different from a normal pub because you are comparing glass to paper cups and this does affect the taste.

take a paper cup to a pub and compare it for yourself and you will see it does taste different.

Thank you for your passionate, if not rather tetchy, defence. Just for clarity I'm not suggesting anyone at WBC deliberately waters down beer or anything untoward like that. So please don't think I am.

However I do think the lager served from the bars really isn't very nice. Whether it's the paper cups or the machinery used I don't know, I'm not am expert, but it tastes watery to me compared to purchasing it in a pub. It also goes through me much quicker than regular beer, after a couple of pints I'm back and forth to the toilets every 15 mins, that adds to my suspicion that there's something not quite right with it.

35 minutes ago, Spindles said:

I just think that it is a result of it being served in a paper cup like you say.  It just seems to me that cider works better in paper cups than beers (I remember having a brown ale that was bloody awful).

I'm going to be controversial and say that Tuborg is not as naff as Carling.

Warm piss isn't as naff as Carling.